Conquer Club

12 hour option for turns in games.

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

12 hour option for turns in games.

Postby Grizbr on Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:38 am

[12 hour turn option]
PLACE THE NAME OF THE SUGGESTION IN THE SUBJECT LINE!

Things to remember when posting a new suggestion are that the dice are random, and that lots of analysis has been done on them both internally and public by community members. Also, please take time to search for previous similar suggestions and, if possible, to check current and archived threads before posting something "new". Delete the xxxxxxx, and substitute your text.

Any questions, contact one of the Suggestions Moderators.
[Grizbr]

add a 12 hour turn option for games.

Specifics/Details: currently you have the option for same time games or 24 hour games. Having an option for a 12 hour turn game will increase speed of games. Often it can take days between turns in a multi player 24 hour game.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
    • This will increase the game speed slightly for those who choose this option. with an 8 player game it will impact speed of game greatly at the beginning.
      It will increase participation in larger multiplayer game as opposed to those 1x1 games which are better as speed games.
Sergeant 1st Class Grizbr

Re: 12 hour option for turns in games.

Postby Shannon Apple on Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:03 pm

To be honest, I highly doubt that 12 hour turns would increase the number of games being played. It might have a few takers, but ultimately dilute the number of available games even further meaning that they fill up even slower.

Retired people, unemployed people and employed people who slack at work (I know a few of those :twisted: ) might be able to take turns within that 12 hour timeframe. But it's still forcing people to check their games at two times, once in the morning and once in the evening which is excessive if they play quite a few and are expected to do that every single day without reprieve until the games are over.

People on a busy schedule couldn't do that, or people who had something pop up in real life. CC is supposed to be fun, not a chore. You have to take into account the different timezones as well. The 24 hours allows people to log in at the same time every day and take all of their turns, co-ordinate with teammates if they must and so on.

Find some people to play real time with and keep one slot open for that. You can use Global Chat and/or the callouts section to find people who like to play faster games. I don't think forcing people into it via a setting is the way to go. 8-)
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Grizbr on Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:11 pm

This would not "force" anyone to do anything but it would encourage more 6-8 players games to start with. This would only be an additional option not eliminate the current options. Also some of us dont play same time games as there is to much cheating in them.

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:29 pm

What I meant by "forced" is that even if they choose to sign up for 12 hour games, there is no room at all for life to get in the way. No margin of error at all. If you can't log in within that 12 hour time-frame (taking into account that people have to sleep, travel to work etc) you miss your turns.

To be honest, I could actually see it decreasing the number of games played, rather than increase them. From a freemium point of view, it might increase the number of games that you get to play. But, a premium player might start 40 games at a time so that they have many turns to take each time they log in. But, if we were to decrease that time to 12 hours (even as a game option) people would play less simultaneous games because they'd have a larger turn load to watch out for. It would result in more missed turns and a bunch of sitting abuse allegations if turns are taken for people, and so on and so forth.

I would honestly advise you to try the callouts section. Start a thread looking for similar minded people who want to take their turns more than once per day. Someone with premium could start the games and send out invites within the group. With lockdowns and whatnot, there probably are enough bored people out there to take you up on it.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:13 pm

In a perfect world, a 12 hour option would be available.

However, we don't live in a perfect world, and interest drives what options are available. If there was mass interest, then maybe the Headmaster would add the option. Maybe you could go into the General Discussion Forum, and make a post with a poll to see what the people on this site think.

Just what I would do, anyways.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:43 am

As Shannon pointed out, just find some players who play faster. Or better yet, get premium - you can play 50 games and not to have to wait days to play. This is most likely the real issue - when you only have 4 games open and they're all 6-8 player games you aren't getting a lot going on.

Grizbr wrote:This would not "force" anyone to do anything but it would encourage more 6-8 players games to start with. This would only be an additional option not eliminate the current options. Also some of us dont play same time games as there is to much cheating in them.

Do people cheat in speed games?
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Grizbr on Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:15 pm

Following 50 games at once is very difficult at one time. most players have no interest in that. remember it is not 12 hours between your turns it is 12 hours between each players turns. If the 24 hour games required every player to take one turn in 24 hours they would be much faster and very different.

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:34 pm

Grizbr wrote:If the 24 hour games required every player to take one turn in 24 hours they would be much faster and very different.

This is essentially the "Freestyle" gameplay setting.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby HardAttack on Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:14 pm

I must say that i like and encourage the idea.
Can not be precise how it would whether improve the site or not, regardless of it, it is a variation, maybe many or maybe not too many but sure there are going to be buyers for the suggested option as a new game setting.
Once we had 5 min speed games only then the scene got enriched with 4 more options ranging from minute to five minutes, then why not ?

Taking team based games under considerations solely, i fully understand the worries and reasoning behind it,
on the other hand ,
must admit this 12 hour option is a brilliant option for multiplayer non team games.

=D>
Colonel HardAttack

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:09 pm

the real question is, what kind of an impact would it really even have? I'm betting the average turn time per player is well under 12 hours regardless.
So I did some research.

Example: the OP is in a 7 player game in the 6th round. Of the 42 turns, exactly 4 have been taken after 12 hours, the longest being 17. The average turn time per player in that game is just under 5 hours. In another one for OP, 7 players inround 11 has had a total of 5 turns take longer than 12 hours. The average in that game is also going to be under 5 hours,easily. I took a look at a few other games with 6-7-8 players and without wasting my entire life away, it appears that the average turn time in those games is also way under 12, closer to the 6 hour range.

I still think the issue isn't the turn time as my examples point out, it's that you want to play more often and the best way to do that is to get premium and play more games. Or play games with fewer players. Or play speed games. Or play games with players who only play fast but even that is unrealistic as occassionally, people have stuff to do. You get 7-8 players taking 5-6 hours per turn and you're playing once every 3 days or so, which to you appears to be players taking too long when in fact it's just math. I know things like facts and solutions are pointless but I thought maybe I would provide with some just for kicks.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby riskllama on Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:41 pm

sounds like someone's just too cheap to pony up for premium...*shrugs*
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby HardAttack on Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:35 am

Nut Shot Scott wrote:the real question is, what kind of an impact would it really even have? I'm betting the average turn time per player is well under 12 hours regardless.
So I did some research.

Example: the OP is in a 7 player game in the 6th round. Of the 42 turns, exactly 4 have been taken after 12 hours, the longest being 17. The average turn time per player in that game is just under 5 hours. In another one for OP, 7 players inround 11 has had a total of 5 turns take longer than 12 hours. The average in that game is also going to be under 5 hours,easily. I took a look at a few other games with 6-7-8 players and without wasting my entire life away, it appears that the average turn time in those games is also way under 12, closer to the 6 hour range.

I still think the issue isn't the turn time as my examples point out, it's that you want to play more often and the best way to do that is to get premium and play more games. Or play games with fewer players. Or play speed games. Or play games with players who only play fast but even that is unrealistic as occassionally, people have stuff to do. You get 7-8 players taking 5-6 hours per turn and you're playing once every 3 days or so, which to you appears to be players taking too long when in fact it's just math. I know things like facts and solutions are pointless but I thought maybe I would provide with some just for kicks.

You might be correct scott,
did not do maths as deep as you did here, good one. =D>
Speed games, are another story though, they are not as popular as once they were 6-7 years ago.
Plus, i am not so sure the 1 minute option is there to speed things up but looks to me to be a farming convention sort of thing.
Colonel HardAttack

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:59 pm

Plus, i am not so sure the 1 minute option is there to speed things up but looks to me to be a farming convention sort of thing.

Lol yep. Agreed.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:29 pm

Nut Shot Scott wrote:the real question is, what kind of an impact would it really even have? I'm betting the average turn time per player is well under 12 hours regardless.
So I did some research.

Once upon a time, I actually did sample a whole bunch of games and do the average. The average then was 8.3 hours. That was quite a few years ago, but I doubt if it's changed much.

The issue is not the average, it's the outliers. Some people due to work and real life commitments, can only get on once a day. Sometimes, they are hard-pressed even for 24-hour turns. 12-hour turns would kill them.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:44 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
So I did some research.

Once upon a time, I actually did sample a whole bunch of games and do the average. The average then was 8.3 hours. That was quite a few years ago, but I doubt if it's changed much.

The issue is not the average, it's the outliers. Some people due to work and real life commitments, can only get on once a day. Sometimes, they are hard-pressed even for 24-hour turns. 12-hour turns would kill them.

Oh I agree. I was simply pointing out to the OP that the request is generally pointless given the vast majority of turns are played way under 12 hours anyways and possibly it's more a perception vs reality situation.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:16 pm

Nut Shot Scott wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
So I did some research.

Oh I agree. I was simply pointing out to the OP that the request is generally pointless given the vast majority of turns are played way under 12 hours anyways and possibly it's more a perception vs reality situation.

Agreed.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby betiko on Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:02 am

i'm just wondering how it would go with people from around the wold and sleeping times... like if you don't play your turns just before going to bed and just after waking up you're done. graned, no one sleeps 12 hours, but being availablein any 12h span every day sounds impossible
Major betiko

Postby Craig25 on Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:55 am

A 12 Hour Option is a must to be implemented.

It's very hard to run League formatted tournaments due to the length of time available to take shots for players in a 24 hour game. Some players play very quikly and one player out of 100 has the power to grind the tournament to a halt by playing very slowly.

I'm going to make an even better suggestion on another post though which may prove to be a better option.
Colonel Craig25

Location: Scotland - Please Vote Yes to Full Independance - A Financially and Morally Better Country

Postby Kotaro on Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:34 am

To be honest, when I first read it I thought it was a decent idea, but there wasn't any real need for it. But as someone that's running a 10 part tournament that needs each tournament to reach finals before the next tournament signups can begin, I do like it more now.

The majority of the arguments I've read seem to boil down to 'but some players can't make 12 hours work,' which is a silly argument, because 12 hour option doesn't mean you have to join 12 hour games, the same exact way implementing speed games of 5/4/3/2/1 minute did not force players to choose the option, it's just another way for people to choose to setup their games. No guns to the heads of kittens on this one, you're not required to join.

And while yes, the majority of situations does not call for it to be a requirement, it is a lot nicer then being stuck in a poly 4 against someone taking 23 hours 30 minutes every turn. Some of us want games to end and move on at a faster pace, and getting saddled with opponents that are logged in but not taking turns is wildly annoying.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Return to Suggestions