Conquer Club

New Time Limit OPTION on Turn Taking - Instead of 24 Hour

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

New Time Limit OPTION on Turn Taking - Instead of 24 Hour

Postby Craig25 on Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:16 am

Concise description:
  • Instead of having only 1 option for long games - 24 Hours. Have 1 other option which offers faster game play but still retains flexibility.

The timing of this option would need to be refined. But instead of putting a time limit on per turn. Put a time limit on the entire game for each player.

As an example, each player would start with 10 days to take all turns. 240 Hours. Each players TOTAL time for the game ticks down as soon as it is there turn. So, if you log in only once a day, you will only be able to take 10 turns and lose the game. This would force players to take turns as soon as there shots became available.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This would mean that a game could be started and would have a definite end date. It would promote more prompt turn taking and would force players to play at a minimum level of speed in Tournament formats, limiting the length of Rounds in Tournaments to a pre-determined Time
Colonel Craig25

Location: Scotland - Please Vote Yes to Full Independance - A Financially and Morally Better Country

Re: New Time Limit OPTION on Turn Taking - Instead of 24 Hou

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:58 am

Craig25 wrote:Concise description:
  • Instead of having only 1 option for long games - 24 Hours. Have 1 other option which offers faster game play but still retains flexibility.

The timing of this option would need to be refined. But instead of putting a time limit on per turn. Put a time limit on the entire game for each player.

As an example, each player would start with 10 days to take all turns. 240 Hours. Each players TOTAL time for the game ticks down as soon as it is there turn. So, if you log in only once a day, you will only be able to take 10 turns and lose the game. This would force players to take turns as soon as there shots became available.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This would mean that a game could be started and would have a definite end date. It would promote more prompt turn taking and would force players to play at a minimum level of speed in Tournament formats, limiting the length of Rounds in Tournaments to a pre-determined Time

Not seconding this. Just meant to say this has so many issues.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby riskllama on Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:38 pm

yeah, a terrible idea - awful, really... :?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:02 pm

It's a natural idea. This is the way things are done in chess. You get a certain amount of time, and you decide if you want to burn more at the beginning or more at the end.

That being said, I'm still opposed to it. There's so many variables in people's lives. Someone who works a lot of hours and can only get on once a day would have a huge disadvantage versus someone who's on vacation and can log in every three hours.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:41 pm

Or the fact that it's totally variable and at the mercy of one player... I get a nice drop and a good first turn, I am slow playing that so it's a ten round game, leaving you little to no room to catch up. And for a poly 3 or 4 game? Lol, that thing isnt getting past round 2 if one of the players doesnt want it to. It doesn't solve the non-existant issue of speeding up turns, a player can still play every 23 hours. The purpose of this suggestion seems to be solely to more accurately time your tournaments? Silly.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Craig25 on Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:01 am

It's oonly an option. But, it would be much better for Tournaments.

If you don't like it, play 24 hour games and don't join the above Tournaments.

Dukasaur wrote:It's a natural idea. This is the way things are done in chess. You get a certain amount of time, and you decide if you want to burn more at the beginning or more at the end.

That being said, I'm still opposed to it. There's so many variables in people's lives. Someone who works a lot of hours and can only get on once a day would have a huge disadvantage versus someone who's on vacation and can log in every three hours.
Colonel Craig25

Location: Scotland - Please Vote Yes to Full Independance - A Financially and Morally Better Country

Postby Craig25 on Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:04 am

You clearly don't undestand it.

If you play slow you run out of time and lose. Like in a chess game!

To give you a clearer understanding. It is the exact OPPOSITE of what you said. It forces you to take turns promptly.

Nut Shot Scott wrote:Or the fact that it's totally variable and at the mercy of one player... I get a nice drop and a good first turn, I am slow playing that so it's a ten round game, leaving you little to no room to catch up. And for a poly 3 or 4 game? Lol, that thing isnt getting past round 2 if one of the players doesnt want it to. It doesn't solve the non-existant issue of speeding up turns, a player can still play every 23 hours. The purpose of this suggestion seems to be solely to more accurately time your tournaments? Silly.
Colonel Craig25

Postby HardAttack on Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:46 am

I think it is not a bad idea at all.
You have got a time budget you have to take into account and manage it right away together with the usual game, troops, etc...
It could have been fun i guess.

I see this as a matter of fun more than couraging folks to take their turns faster, but yes it will courage them to speed their games up for sure.
I also believe, if the mathematics is done right, it is not as scary as it looks O:)
The time limit should be calculated properly though.... 10 days is very well and optimum for say 20 rounds per player...But once it is set not 240 hours but 72 hours instead, abuses may come on the table.
At the end, this is an option, if you aree fine join such a game, if not, there are plenty of casuals sitting there

A totally new, different approach, and has the potential, thumbs up Craig25, nice one. =D>
Colonel HardAttack

Postby Craig25 on Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:07 am

TY, it makes absolute sense.

There are 5 Speed game Options and only 1 Long game Option. Put 10, 15 and 20 days down for long game options.

And also to make it better, after the 2nd player joins the game. If its foggy, the game doesn't start for a fixed 12 hours. If it's sunny the other player who joined 1st or set up the game and is 1st to take his turn wouldn't be at a disadvantage if,the game starts after 12 hours or whenever that player tales his turn.

HardAttack wrote:I think it is not a bad idea at all.
You have got a time budget you have to take into account and manage it right away together with the usual game, troops, etc...
It could have been fun i guess.

I see this as a matter of fun more than couraging folks to take their turns faster, but yes it will courage them to speed their games up for sure.
I also believe, if the mathematics is done right, it is not as scary as it looks O:)
The time limit should be calculated properly though.... 10 days is very well and optimum for say 20 rounds per player...But once it is set not 240 hours but 72 hours instead, abuses may come on the table.
At the end, this is an option, if you aree fine join such a game, if not, there are plenty of casuals sitting there

A totally new, different approach, and has the potential, thumbs up Craig25, nice one. =D>
Colonel Craig25

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:04 am

Craig25 wrote:You clearly don't undestand it.

If you play slow you run out of time and lose. Like in a chess game!

To give you a clearer understanding. It is the exact OPPOSITE of what you said. It forces you to take turns promptly.

Nut Shot Scott wrote:Or the fact that it's totally variable and at the mercy of one player... I get a nice drop and a good first turn, I am slow playing that so it's a ten round game, leaving you little to no room to catch up. And for a poly 3 or 4 game? Lol, that thing isnt getting past round 2 if one of the players doesnt want it to. It doesn't solve the non-existant issue of speeding up turns, a player can still play every 23 hours. The purpose of this suggestion seems to be solely to more accurately time your tournaments? Silly.

I think it's you that isn't understanding. How would running out of time make me lose? If the game must be finished in 10 days, ie 240 hours, then both players will eventually run out of time because time will be up. So. If a player still has 24 hours to take a turn. And I must finish the game in 10 days. Then I can force the game to be a ten round game by taking 23:59 to play every turn. My opponent cannot play if I havent so they arent getting extra turns just because they play quickly, they are still at my mercy. In 10 days, my 240 hours will be up, then game will be over and I will have forced a shortened game. Why would I lose unless I simply lost a 10 round game?

Or wait, are you saying it's a freestyle game in which one player could take 150 turns and the other could get 10? If it is this, then it is one of the dumbest suggestions I've seen here.

I know how chess works btw but it doesn't work like that. They say "you have x amount of time total per player, if you run out of time you lose" and both players ARE SITTING RIGHT THERE THE ENTIRE TIME. That is the equivalent of a speed game, which already exists. The chess comparison works if you say i have 3 hours of GAMEPLAY time to complete a game, but that still doesnt solve your problem because it isnt gameplay that takes a long time, its the time between turns. So. In order to do that here in a 24 hour game cycle, you have to account for the fact that people have lives and sleep and aren't just sitting there waiting for their CC game to come around 24 hours a day. Thus, their clock cannot start until they come to the game and click the button. Thus, it can be easily manipulated.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:36 pm

Nut Shot Scott wrote:I know how chess works btw but it doesn't work like that. They say "you have x amount of time total per player, if you run out of time you lose" and both players ARE SITTING RIGHT THERE THE ENTIRE TIME. That is the equivalent of a speed game, which already exists. The chess comparison works if you say i have 3 hours of GAMEPLAY time to complete a game, but that still doesnt solve your problem because it isnt gameplay that takes a long time, its the time between turns. So. In order to do that here in a 24 hour game cycle, you have to account for the fact that people have lives and sleep and aren't just sitting there waiting for their CC game to come around 24 hours a day. Thus, their clock cannot start until they come to the game and click the button. Thus, it can be easily manipulated.

This. If this suggestion was an option, the first thing I'd do is figure out in what part of the world my opponent lives. Then I check into his completed games to see what time of day he typically takes and finishes taking turns. Then I try to time my turns so they finish ~30 minutes after he's likely to be asleep or otherwise unable to take turns.

The long game type is explicitly designed to not have a time limit. Time limits are for speed games. If you wanted a speed game format with 1 hour of total turn time each (no limit on time between turns), that would make a lot more sense as a game type.
Major Doc_Brown

Return to Suggestions