Conquer Club

[GO] [Rules] Rank Restricted Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Re-Think the rank restriction rejection.

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:22 pm

I suggested something similar -- rather than an open ended restriction (which might be more difficult both from a programming perspective and would be more likely to result in heavy game limitations), to have optional "slots" -- you can have a game limited to 2 ranks above and below your starting rank.

It was rejected for a lot of reasons, most pertinent being that people could artificially lower their rank just to farm. I am not sure how much that really would happen. Also, people intent on breaking the system will -- and will be dealt with through other means, eventually.

The most recent partially (or fully?) accepted solution was to have a divided scoreboard. I fundamentally dislike that idea, because unlike your and my suggestion, it would set too much of a "set" artificial barrier. This one will flux with someone's rank.. and it will be optional. I see it as a compromise between the "private/play only those I know" and "public/take whomever comes" games.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby jammyjames on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:53 pm

i dont see why people are against this feature, it does no harm at all... any farming will be sorted easily.. and the people who only target low ranks will get shat on..
Corporal 1st Class jammyjames

Postby anonymus on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:52 pm

if people are afraid of this becoming a noob-farming feature why not put in the code that a player cant choose to set the highest rank in the limit lower than 2 ranks under your own.. if your a major you can set the limit between Lt. and up if you are a capt. between Sgt. 1st and up and so on..
Eliminates the noob-farming aspects..

well it doesn't really matter to me since I do read forums and can find games, but it wouldn't hurt me either..
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Cook anonymus

Postby jefjef on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Personally since officers are the premier "farmers" there should be restrictions to block ? - cooks & cadets from joining a game that includes an officer.

Make em earn their stripes 1st.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby jammyjames on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:22 pm

jefjef wrote:Personally since officers are the premier "farmers" there should be restrictions to block ? - cooks & cadets from joining a game that includes an officer.

Make em earn their stripes 1st.

i beleive that to be a good idea. however only on the maps that are deemed hard maps... all of this argument in these forums because one webmaster cant have his moderation team kick themselves in the f*cking arses and do something about the fuedal argument...

Re: find a player

Postby 72o on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:28 pm

I think qwert and colton and probably several others have suggested improvements in the scoreboard and/or member list, but we haven't seen any traction there yet.
Sergeant 72o

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:55 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:[*]This will NOT make farming easier. Simply make a restriction that your rank must be within the limits. In that case, a major trying to farm lets every captain, lieutenant, sergeant etc. on the scoreboard join. Not exactly farming... especially hard to farm premium members either way.

Congratulations to everyone reading this in the first post.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby jleonnn on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:46 am

look at the manual troop placement suggestion that went out about one and a half year ago. It only started very recently. There's a possibility that we might have to wait that long for the suggestion to go
General jleonnn

Postby jleonnn on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:47 am

but again, I wanted to find fellow singaporeans without having to scan the scoreboard too.
General jleonnn

Postby darkangelsguy205 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:18 pm

we should have a win meader 2 :D
Sergeant darkangelsguy205

Re: Suggestion: "Start a Game" with a specific rating range

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:07 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Your best way to do this is start a game private and invite someone close to your rank or post the password in callouts looking for a player within 200 points of you either way.

Or, his suggestion could be considered for implementation. He did post it in the suggestion report forum.

Sounds like cjbpulp wants to avoid getting hammered (essentially make his experience on the site much better), which is what I am trying to help with my suggestion about limiting new players to specific maps.

I like this suggestion from cjbpulp very much because it allows new players to limit who can play against them. Similarly, it allows higher ranks to limit their points being spirited away by preventing low ranks from joining.

Great suggestion CJBPULP, please keep them coming.
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby AAFitz on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:43 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:Your best way to do this is start a game private and invite someone close to your rank or post the password in callouts looking for a player within 200 points of you either way.

Or, his suggestion could be considered for implementation. He did post it in the suggestion report forum.

Sounds like cjbpulp wants to avoid getting hammered (essentially make his experience on the site much better), which is what I am trying to help with my suggestion about limiting new players to specific maps.

I like this suggestion from cjbpulp very much because it allows new players to limit who can play against them. Similarly, it allows higher ranks to limit their points being spirited away by preventing low ranks from joining.

His suggestion HAS been considered. It was considered in the first 50 threads suggesting the same thing, and denied for the same reason and explanation as they always have and will be. CC will not discriminate against rank. There are many options available to play against any given rank, and to play against ones own rank, or always a lower rank, or always a higher rank.

Between the invites, foe list, the wall, the pms, live chat, and the callouts forum, it is simply easy to play against whatever ranks you choose for any given game. What you CANNOT do, is discriminate against players in open games, simply BECAUSE of their rank unilaterally.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Queen_Herpes on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:26 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:

CJBPULP, As mentioned, just want to give you kudos for posting on the suggestion and bugs forum. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. It seems like you and a lot of other players have concerns about playing players of certain ranks. Perhaps you can come up with a suggestion (or comment on other suggestions) that speak to your basic concerns. From my perspective, you are interested in making your playing experience on this site better. If you enjoy it, you'll probably stick around, and I'm all for that. CJBPULP, do you have another idea, aside from the solution you offered here, that can help make you experience ont he site better?
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Re: Suggestion: "Block Freemium" option

Postby AeroMate on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:39 am

FILTER THE N00BZ OUT!
I AM SUGGESTING THAT A FILTER IS MADE FOR MINIMAL SCORES. ALL I WANT IS TO BLOCK ALL PLAYERS FROM JOINING MY GAMES. THIS GAME RELIES ON A LOT OF LUCK! I AM TIRED OF COOKS, PRIVATES, CORPORALS, AND SERGEANTS RAMPAGING INTO MY LITTLE PLACE OF PEACE, IT BREAKS ME TO LOSE SO MANY POINTS WHEN I CAN GAIN SO LITTLE! BASICALLY, I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE, IT ISNT FAIR THAT I CANT PREVENT THESE GUYS FROM JOINING, TO STEAL WAY MORE POINTS THAN THEY RISK LOSING. IT IS INCONVENIENT TO FOE EVERYONE OR USE THE PRIVATE GAME FEATURE DUE TO THE FACT THAT I MUST INVITE FOLKS TO JOIN. :sick: OKAY I AM DONE NOW! :twisted:
Captain AeroMate

Re: Suggestion: "Block Freemium" option

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:50 am

So many...caps...hurting...painful...X(
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Starting a game

Postby lawlgn on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Maybe have as an option under game starting the lowest rank you are willing to play. It is not worth it sometimes to play a newbie with no ranking because a loss would be costly points wise.....
Sergeant lawlgn

Re: Starting a game

Postby ljex on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:24 am

suggested 1,000 times...denied 1,000 times
Captain ljex

Min/max rank

Postby vodean on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:55 am

Concise description:
  • I know this has been rejected several times because it is 'unfair' or whatever
  • maybe if there was min+max, it would be more liked

Specifics:
  • Low rankers would not have to be crushed by unwanted generals
  • high rankers would not have to be bored by unwanted cooks.
  • In the same category, an option for min/max games completed
  • or even min % turns taken

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • freemies will not have time wasted by turn missers
  • high rankers would not have to be bored by unwanted cooks.
  • People could get rid of newbies who dont know how to play.
  • might help prevent farming
  • Low rankers would not have to be crushed by unwanted generals
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Re: Min/max rank

Postby darth emperor on Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:18 pm

vodean wrote:.
[*]People could get rid of newbies who dont know how to play.

And how they'll learn??? Like that no one who is new (even if he knows how to play) could play (except with another newbs) then only will be the old members playing.

For example in the begining I didnt know how to play,exactly how to change the cards,I remeber myself trying combinations and never succeed the combination and losing my turn because i couldnt change cards...loosing games that i had chances of wining lol, but then after trying (and reading the instruccions of that game who looks like CC I continued playing and Im here but with this "thing" I wouldnt have the chance to play more and I wouldnt be here
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby jammyjames on Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:34 pm

in fairness to vodean.. with some of the points he has raised it does make this seem a more substancial update..

Postby vodean on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:40 am

maybe a max difference in rank of 3 ranks.
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Sort games by rank to reduce farming

Postby Doc_Brown on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Concise description:
  • Provide an additional option in the Game Finder to allow games to be sorted according to the rank of the person that started the game. The option could be set either low-to-high (cooks show up first) or high-to-low (conquerors show up first).
  • Include an additional option that searches only for games started by players within a specific range of ranks.
  • Adjust the behavior of the "Join a Game" button for New Recruits to sort games by rank (low-to-high) and possibly only include games initiated by non-officers on the default list. New recruits could still access the games started by higher ranking players by searching with the "Game Finder" and not checking the rank sort option or the rank range option.

Specifics:
Various means have been proposed to help new recruits get into winnable games and to reduce the potential for farming. By sorting the games according to the rank of the player that started the game, the first games new recruits come across will be those started by lower ranking players, which will presumably be much easier for them to compete and win at. The sorting would not take into account the ranks of other players that join the games. Furthermore, the default "Join a Game" behavior would be restored to the way it presently works once a player receives his first promotion.

The sorting option should also be provided to other players. Very few more experienced players would be interested in sorting the games so that they see a whole bunch of games started by cooks at the top of the list, but many might like to sort by rank within a range of ranks. For instance, a Sergeant might want to search for games started by players with ranks between Corporal and Captain.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • This will make it much more difficult to farm new recruits and will even give lower ranked players an easier way to find games more in line with their experience level.
  • This should allow new players to find a wider variety of games rather than having the "Join a Game" screen filled up completely with 2-3 game settings due to higher ranking players starting 30+ games on a specific map.
  • This should make it easier for experienced players to find more challenging games and for newer players to find games better suited to their skill level.
  • This should actually help higher ranking players that really enjoy specific maps avoid farming charges. New recruits will not immediately find those games, and lower ranking players will have an easier way to avoid them, so the players that do join those games will tend to be somewhat more experienced.

Possible Questions and Objections:
  • Will this make it tough for games to fill up with players?
    I don't think it will. The 50 or so Circus Maximus and City Mogul games on the first page of the "Join a Game" screen might fill a bit slower, but the players that do join are more likely to be somewhat higher ranking players rather than cooks and privates. In fact, I suspect this will make it easier for players that are fairly new to the site and start their own games to see them fill up a bit faster.
  • Is there potential for abuse?
    As with most changes, probably so. It will certainly make it easier for higher ranking players to find games that they anticipate being able to win easily. However, a pattern of such behavior is much easier to label as farming than is simply creating 100s of games that newer players are likely to stumble in to.
  • Will this limit the possibilities for newer players?
    No. New recruits will not be prevented from joining any games they can currently access. If they go through the "Game Finder" and only select the "Waiting for Players" and "Public games" options they will see the same list they currently do. The default behavior of the "Join a Game" link (for new recruits only) would include the additional options of "Sort games from lowest rank to highest rank" and "Only show games started by ranks from Cook to Sergeant First Class" (for example). New recruits would be completely allowed to join those other games, but the ones that do will be the ones that put in a bit more effort than simply clicking "Join a Game" and jumping into the first 4 games listed. Thus, the players that get into the games started by higher ranking players will be those that put a bit more effort into their play and are less likely to be chased away due to a few losses to experienced players.
Major Doc_Brown

Re: Sort games by rank to reduce farming

Postby Baron Von PWN on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:12 pm

Wouldn't an easier solution be creating a minimum or maximum rank option for joining a game?
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Postby Doc_Brown on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:28 pm

It probably would, but there seems to be some opposition to that idea, and I think there are some valid arguments against it. This option doesn't impose any new restrictions on any games. It simply helps direct people toward games that are more likely to be closer to their skill level.
Major Doc_Brown

Postby alster on Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:58 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:Concise description:
  • Provide an additional option in the Game Finder to allow games to be sorted according to the rank of the person that started the game. The option could be set either low-to-high (cooks show up first) or high-to-low (conquerors show up first).
  • Include an additional option that searches only for games started by players within a specific range of ranks.
  • Adjust the behavior of the "Join a Game" button for New Recruits to sort games by rank (low-to-high) and possibly only include games initiated by non-officers on the default list. New recruits could still access the games started by higher ranking players by searching with the "Game Finder" and not checking the rank sort option or the rank range option.

Dunno. When searching for games reasonably specific, e.g. not started, public doubles - I get maybe 2 or 3 pages of hits. Not too much work skimming that. Don't see the need for further assortment.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Captain alster

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions