Conquer Club

CC Dispatch [Issue 118] Apogee, Perigee, and Whac-a-Gee

All issues of the newsletter.

Moderator: Community Team

CC Dispatch [Issue 118] Apogee, Perigee, and Whac-a-Gee

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 19, 2014 11:36 am

Welcome comrades to the 118th edition of the CC Dispatch!

The big story of the last two weeks has, of course, been the annual ritual of Whac-a-Mod. I can only speak for myself, but this is the first year that I've actually enjoyed it. In the past, we only had a choice of team games (which I don't really like) and speed games (which I don't really like.) This year, for the first time, the field was wide open to choose from the full panoply of game types, including 1v1 casual games, polymorphs, standards, terminators, and assassins.

The last week, for me, has been absolutely wild, as I started more than 70 games, most of them polymorphs. When combined with other games in progress, my total game load went up over 100 games for the first time since the summer of 2011, when I was laid off and had all the time in the world to play. So it was both exhausting and exhilarating to play that incredible, almost never-ending stream of turns. I almost never had an empty board in front of me. Still don't of course, since most of those games have not ended.

All that is nothing compared to the amazing feats of players like Keefie, who started 133 games, IcePack who set himself a goal of 250 and inexorably worked towards it, finally hitting his mark on the last day, and the absolutely staggering achievement of chemefreak who started an amazing 280 games!

Altogether 1766 Whac-a-Mod games were played, more than double the number that has been played in previous years (typically in the past there were between 600 and 800 games.) Half of those are still ongoing, so keep track of who is winning their games on the Whac-a-Mod scoreboard. No more games can be created, but we have until June 30th to finish existing games.

Anyway, I'm absolutely exhausted, but also totally exhilarated, by the wild ride of the last few days!

Now, on to the newsletter.

We have fewer sections than usual, but what we do have is all top notch! I would like to give special thanks to DaveH and his Tournament team: McShanester29, iAmCaffeine, and the newest addition to their team, jdean1. This is the most reliable of our news teams, and once again they have put together an absolutely astounding War Games section!

In the Mess Hall, we have two articles: one is the 9th installment of iAmCaffeine's Dispatch Trivia series, and the other is a special submission from Stealth99. Stealth is not a member of the Dispatch staff, but he had something that he very much wanted to share with our readers.

Our Interrogation, as promised, features TeeGee. In keeping with the long-standing tradition of naming Dispatch issues after a pun on the name of the Interrogation victim, I have named this one Apogee, Perigee, and Whac-a-Gee. TeeGee played 28 games in this year's Whac-a-Mod, and seems to have gotten Whacked quite a bit. As for the Apogee and Perigee? No connection whatsoever, except that I love rhyming games.
:lol:

The monthly Challenge for June is entitled Mandela, a Retrospective and features games on the South Africa map with (as always) a tough combination of settings.

That's all until next time. Enjoy the fruits of our labour!

Use our convenient navigation buttons to get to your favourite section.
ImageImage Image
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

War Games

Postby DaveH on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:30 pm

Hello friends, and welcome to your favourite part of the Newsletter, "War Games", where you can find information about CC Tournaments, and other stuff in the Tournament scene!

In this bumper edition of War Games we continue to deliver our news staples with mcshanester29's Meet the Tournament Winners which features Gilligan. We have iAmCaffeine's May summary of Tournament Winners, my update of TPA happenings in TPA Wrap, and I have also updated last week's Tournament Tips with MrBenn's xml code for transferring tournament game data directly into Excel which is a fantastic tool for TO's!

I would also like to extend our warmest welcome to jdean1 who will be picking up the Join This? or Not! review of tournaments on offer. Welcome Dean =D> =D> =D>

Good Reading and Good Luck!

DaveH
Tournament Executive

Meet the Tournament Winners: Gilligan by mcshanester29
show

Tournament Winners Update: May '14 by iAmCaffeine
show

TPA Wrap by DaveH
show

Join This? Or Not! by jdean1
show

Tournament Tips #54 by DaveH
show: Downloading tournament game data into Excel.

ImageImage Image
Lieutenant DaveH

Mess Hall

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:02 am

The first thing you will notice is that safariguy5 is no longer with us as the editor of the Mess Hall. I'm doing the section myself for now, but if you think you've got what it takes to fill safari's big shoes, now would be the time to speak up.

We have two items in Mess Hall this time around. The first is a re-run of the 9th installment of Caffeine's Dispatch Trivia Contest. We didn't get very many entries, so we've decided to extend the deadline and publish the questions again.

The second item is rather unusual. It's a very moving human interest piece submitted to us by Stealth99, who has gone through a trying time lately and has a very emotional message of gratitude for his friends on CC. I'll say no more and let the article speak for itself. Thank you Stealth99 for sharing with us!

Dispatch Trivia - Round 9 of 10 by iAmCaffeine
show

Real Friends by Stealth99
show

ImageImage Image
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Interrogation Room

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:07 am

Interrogation of TeeGee
TeeGee joined Conquer Club on November 11th, 2006. That makes him one of the senior statesmen of the Club. He's been a full-fledged Team CC volunteer since November of 2011, gradually accepting greater and greater levels of responsibility until finally becoming Chief Global moderator last September. That is the highest-ranking volunteer position on the site, responsible only to the admins. We decided it was high time that such an important person was put under the Dispatch microscope.

show

ImageImage Image
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Re: CC Dispatch [Issue 118] Apogee, Perigee, and Whac-a-Gee

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:57 am

Actual publication date June 3rd, 2014 @0557.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby GioDuce on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:44 pm

I lack words on the article that Stealth99 wrote.

=D>
Cook GioDuce

Postby Gilligan on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Another great issue! Speaking of losing bladder control, I had no idea I was in 5th place for TPA3.... :shock:
Major Gilligan

Return to Newsletter Issues