Conquer Club

Nut Shot's Conqueror's Cup Player Rankings - CCX Complete

Information about clan activities and recruitment.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Nut Shot's Conqueror's Cup Player Rankings - CCX Complete

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:28 pm

In Progress!

Due to popular (or like four people) demand, I will be expanding my individual clan league rankings to Conqueror's Cup as well. It's a little more complex and less straightforward so it's slower going. Any feedback from previous rankings and/or ideas are welcome! Stay tuned!

CCX - Completed!

See the progress here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10IV9SjgMLehizS1rGaxG84AO1WlXgDakodCSZo8is00/edit?usp=sharing

The largest difference between League and Cup scoring that you will see is a tiered bonus system.

Round 1 - 0% bonus
Round 2 - 5% point bonus
Round 3 (if applicable) - 10% point bonus
Semi-finals - 15% point bonus
Finals - 30% point bonus

CCX Top 25
show
Last edited by Nut Shot Scott on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Re: Nut Shot Scott's Conqueror's Cup Player Rankings - Comin

Postby IcePack on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:46 pm

Woohoo!
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Extreme Ways on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:49 pm

Quite interested how you'll tackle this.
REP, ex-TOFU, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
Brigadier Extreme Ways

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:57 pm

Extreme Ways wrote:Quite interested how you'll tackle this.

me too ha
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby rockfist on Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:24 pm

I would reiterate my contention that later rounds (finals/semi finals) should be heavier weighted than early rounds. I don't think it makes any difference if you go 9-2 vs 11-0 in the first round, but 9-4 vs 7-6 in the semi finals is a big deal. I know we play around with who is on what teams and what boards we send in early rounds and I imagine other top clans do the same.

Maybe a 1,2,3,4 weighting system or something like that?
Major rockfist

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:33 pm

rockfist wrote:I would reiterate my contention that later rounds (finals/semi finals) should be heavier weighted than early rounds. I don't think it makes any difference if you go 9-2 vs 11-0 in the first round, but 9-4 vs 7-6 in the semi finals is a big deal.

Maybe a 1,2,3,4 rating system or something like that?

Yes, I do agree. I intend to add an escalating % as the rounds go up. Between that and the far more complicated data collection - each matchup having it's own set is far more time consuming to go through - it will be a slog. But I am committed!
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby i-andrei on Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:37 pm

Nut Shot Scott wrote:
rockfist wrote:I would reiterate my contention that later rounds (finals/semi finals) should be heavier weighted than early rounds. I don't think it makes any difference if you go 9-2 vs 11-0 in the first round, but 9-4 vs 7-6 in the semi finals is a big deal.

Yes, I do agree. I intend to add an escalating % as the rounds go up. Between that and the far more complicated data collection - each matchup having it's own set is far more time consuming to go through - it will be a slog. But I am committed!

That's flawed, cause it takes into account the round, not the oponent.
You can use the rankings at that point in rimw, but it s more difficult to handle..
Major i-andrei

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:46 pm

i-andrei wrote:That's flawed, cause it takes into account the round, not the oponent.
You can use the rankings at that point in rimw, but it s more difficult to handle..

So you're saying if you are a lower seed and you upset a higher seed in round 1, then end up with a lesser opponent in round 2, you should not then be given a "bonus" for the second round because the first round was technically a tougher opponent?

if so, i can see both sides of that coin. the beauty of it is, it's just math. can always try it one way and then the other, see what shakes out.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Donelladan on Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:55 pm

i-andrei wrote:
Nut Shot Scott wrote:

Using ranking wouldn't be less flawed because ranking is always a couple of month late compared to current clan shape.

If one clan is able to move forward while being low ranked, then ranking was wrong, hence round makes more sense.
I'd take as example the CC5 conquer cup that LHDD started as underdog where we lost in the semi against FALL 31/30, and probably vey few clan expected us to go through the 2nd round since we were ranked 13th back then. But LHDD was on the rise and the higher seeded clan back then (PACK ranked 4th then TSM ranked 5th) were declining.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby rockfist on Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:56 pm

I disagree with using rankings.

What ranking system would you use? The D400 lags actual performance by some measure. The tournament seeding uses historical tournament results and the D400 when you sign up, which can lag even further behind. For instance Fallen won CC5 but were ranked 9th or 10th (I'm guessing here) in the D400 or so when the tournament started. They were ranked #1 when it was all over, however (and I'm guessing here again) 4th or 5th in D400 when the finals started.

I think in order to measure current performance at the time the event took place you have to measure what round its in and weight it according to that. This isn't a tournament where you get through many rounds by luck, you have to be pretty good to advance very far in it. Look at the roll of winners, finalists, and semi-finalists. There are some one offs in there but for the most part its a who's who of the best historical clans.
Major rockfist

Postby rockfist on Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:57 pm

Donelladan wrote:
i-andrei wrote:
Nut Shot Scott wrote:

Using ranking wouldn't be less flawed because ranking is always a couple of month late compared to current clan shape.

If one clan is able to move forward while being low ranked, then ranking was wrong, hence round makes more sense.
I'd take as example the CC5 conquer cup that LHDD started as underdog where we lost in the semi against FALL 31/30, and probably vey few clan expected us to go through the 2nd round since we were ranked 13th back then. But LHDD was on the rise and the higher seeded clan back then (PACK ranked 4th then TSM ranked 5th) were declining.

I agree.
Major rockfist

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:31 am

How are the Scions of Glory doing in this?
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby niMic on Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:22 pm

This is turning out to be the greatest set of content in CC history. Unless this one happens to reveal that I'm a fraud, in which case I will be submitting a Right To Be Forgotten claim through GDPR.
Highest score: 3690
Highest rank: 21
General niMic

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:57 pm

niMic wrote:This is turning out to be the greatest set of content in CC history. Unless this one happens to reveal that I'm a fraud, in which case I will be submitting a Right To Be Forgotten claim through GDPR.

:lol: :lol:
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby JPlo64 on Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:38 am

I would combine weight by round and D400 rank into one coefficient. I would use last rank before the war ended (if war ends July 4 2021, use July 1 2021 rank)
If you don't, you have players getting an unadjusted advantage by the luck of the draw.
You can go back and find examples of clans having unusually easy quarterfinals or difficult round of 16 matchups which will increase the luck factor in your final results.
Rankings aren't perfect, there will be lag in rises and falls, but generally it's a good barometer of strength.

Donelladan wrote:
i-andrei wrote:
Nut Shot Scott wrote:

rockfist wrote:I disagree with using rankings.

What ranking system would you use? The D400 lags actual performance by some measure. The tournament seeding uses historical tournament results and the D400 when you sign up, which can lag even further behind. For instance Fallen won CC5 but were ranked 9th or 10th (I'm guessing here) in the D400 or so when the tournament started. They were ranked #1 when it was all over, however (and I'm guessing here again) 4th or 5th in D400 when the finals started.

I think in order to measure current performance at the time the event took place you have to measure what round its in and weight it according to that. This isn't a tournament where you get through many rounds by luck, you have to be pretty good to advance very far in it. Look at the roll of winners, finalists, and semi-finalists. There are some one offs in there but for the most part its a who's who of the best historical clans.
Major JPlo64
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:04 pm

Yeah. The data collection alone is incredibly time consuming - with each matchup having it's own thread, it's a pain in the ass plus the sheer volume of teams and players is much higher than an 8 or 10 team league season that I can get all in one spot. Going through and assigning individual adjustments based upon a formula that combines D400 and round is probably not happening. What you'll likely see me do is assign nothing to the early rounds while adding a small bump to semi final matchups and an additional small bump to finals matchups. If you make it to the semis, my assumption will be that you are playing a solid team. If you upset someone in the first round, good on you. Your bump is that you got the extra games and wins that you weren't expected to have, giving your scores a boost.

There will also be no adjusted scores because there is no expected number of games - so if your team consistently goes deep in the tournament, your players should be ranked higher due to the increase in games.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby niMic on Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:26 am

Nut Shot Scott wrote:There will also be no adjusted scores because there is no expected number of games - so if your team consistently goes deep in the tournament, your players should be ranked higher due to the increase in games.

Interesting. I suspect this is going to hurt KORT/S&M and some of the other bigger strong clans, who have traditionally (had the ability to) spread out games a lot more between the members. I'm curious if that's going to be the case, can't wait to see the results.
General niMic

Postby rockfist on Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:46 am

I'd be surprised if anyone will outrank Josko at this (I highly doubt I would or should) ...although Don has some impressive results.
Major rockfist

Postby josko.ri on Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:19 pm

Make weighting factors 100% finals, 80% semifinals, 60% quarterfinals, 40% Round of 16, 20% Round of 32 and 10% round of 64.
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:20 am

I started with CCX and it MIGHT be done by end of next week. Have gone with a 5% point bump per round.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Conchobar on Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:38 am

Wow someone really has a lot of time on his hands hiding from the heatwave this summer. Good luck with this!! =D> :D
Colonel Conchobar

Postby i-andrei on Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:51 am

Conchobar wrote:Wow someone really has a lot of time on his hands hiding from the heatwave this summer. Good luck with this!! =D> :D

oh no...now you're gonna get 'The Story' behind it...
Major i-andrei

Postby niMic on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:24 am

Nut Shot Scott wrote:I started with CCX and it MIGHT be done by end of next week. Have gone with a 5% point bump per round.

5% seems quite low, speaking from experience. But you're the boss.

Wait... are you the boss?
General niMic

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:55 am

niMic wrote:
Nut Shot Scott wrote:I started with CCX and it MIGHT be done by end of next week. Have gone with a 5% point bump per round.

5% seems quite low, speaking from experience. But you're the boss.

Wait... are you the boss?

That's a 20% bump by the finals. I actually wouldn't have gone that high but the people seem to want it haha
Major Nut Shot Scott

Next

Return to Clans