Conquer Club

Conqueror's Cup 2010. Winners Knights of the round table !!

Finished challenges between two competitive clans.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conqueror's Cup!!

Postby Lubawski on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:56 am

ahunda wrote:Another question: Will there be a break during the summer holiday season ?

In my experience, that time has always been bad for clan challenges, because quite a few people go travelling, spend time with their families, etc.

Good question. At that point, I think we'll be down to probably only 4 clans left competing. I think it would be a good idea to take a summer solstice.

Wasee, I think it's a pretty universal view at this point that 40 games is the standard to see who the better of two clans are, and the more games to that effect, the better. A 20 game challenge (though our required minimum) is really only happening with brand new clans to get their feet wet. Look at the amount of challenges going on right now that are at least 40 games. It's almost all of them. As for the overall number of slots, keep in mind if you get to the finals, that's 4 complete challenges. It will take a good 8 months to complete that. I think any of the top clans can handle that on top of CLA league or anything else they have going on. Like Chephren said, we have only 14 active members, and we can handle that just fine.
Colonel Lubawski

Postby jpcloet on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:59 am

April-July were very busy with challenges in 2009. August-Sept were really slow.
Captain jpcloet

Postby Chariot of Fire on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:28 am

There are no time constraints on when to start & finish each fixture, so why take an 'official' break? If clan heads can still organize match-ups that count towards the 48 (or 76) games that constitute each challenge then they may as well go ahead and play them. If they can't they won't, simple as that. I've got family in town from mid June to mid July which will greatly impact on my ability to play, but that doesn't preclude my clanmates from playing the games that wouldn't involve me (which would only be 15 or 20 max anyway).

There are external demands for some players which have to be met throughout the year, regardless of the season, so we may as well just play games as soon as we're able to and keep the momentum rolling. This way you'll avoid a scenario in, say, mid September when a clan has a few absentees and is unable to field the minimum nine players that are required to meet the regulations. These may have been games that could have been played in late July. Hope you see my point.
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby ahunda on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:42 am

Chariot of Fire wrote:There are no time constraints on when to start & finish each fixture

Chuuuuck wrote:The tournament director will announce the start of each round. All games need to be sent to opponents clan leader and 2nd in command within 1 week after the league directorā€™s announcement of the start. Dates of upcoming rounds will be shown and updated as the tournament progresses.

I wouldnĀ“t want to reach the semi-finals and then be forced to face a top clan, when a couple of our best players are not available for games, cause they are on holidays.
Field Marshal ahunda

Postby Chuuuuck on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:51 am

Answer a few questions here.

Each challenge will count towards the ladder. One of the complaints with the ladder constantly is that there is not enough data to get an acurate description. So there is no reason to play these clan wars, that meet the criteria for the ladder and then not count them when we need more data!

The game count will not be lowered. As Lubawski has already said, 40 games is seen as the standard by most clans to see who the better clan is in a match. Heck, most of the top clans that face each other will use more than 40 games to determine it. Just look at the THOTA vs TSM match, 80 games.

When the summer comes we should be down to around 4 clans left. If someone is missing their best players then we can set a start date for the semi finals that is an acceptable time for both clans involved in that match. It is a lot easier to work out a deal when there is less people involved, so lets just wait until that time comes.

Enough about the logistics, I am just fired up about beating all of you and taking the first ever championship!
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby jpcloet on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:56 am

All the challenges could count towards the ladder in some way, however, I can give them "Tournament/League" Factors, to reduce their impact. Eg. the first 2 rounds have a factor of .25 and the semis and finals have .5, or maybe an escalating thing like

.25, .5, .75, and 1.00 for the finals.

or some other method based on their rank relative to each other
Captain jpcloet

Postby Chuuuuck on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:57 am

waseemalim wrote:umm, is it 48 games or is it 200 games in total per clan (assuming the clan goes all the way)?

It is 200 games in total per clan if they go all the way. CoF is using 48 and 76 games because of the 2 and 4 1v1 matchups that are in the challenges that are really 5 1v1 games each but only count towards 1 game towards the clan match. I wouldn't worry about these too much anyway because the 1v1 games are always over within a day or two anyway.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby Chuuuuck on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:59 am

jpcloet wrote:All the challenges could count towards the ladder in some way, however, I can give them "Tournament/League" Factors, to reduce their impact. Eg. the first 2 rounds have a factor of .25 and the semis and finals have .5, or maybe an escalating thing like

I honestly think they should just be counted towards the ladder like any regular challenge would jp. I mean what is the difference between EMPIRE facing the Black Sheep Squadron in the first round for 40 games and EMPIRE challenging the Black Sheep Squadron to a 40 game challenge? Either way, we play the same match and get a result.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby Lubawski on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:13 am

Chuuuuck wrote:
jpcloet wrote:All the challenges could count towards the ladder in some way, however, I can give them "Tournament/League" Factors, to reduce their impact. Eg. the first 2 rounds have a factor of .25 and the semis and finals have .5, or maybe an escalating thing like

I honestly think they should just be counted towards the ladder like any regular challenge would jp. I mean what is the difference between EMPIRE facing the Black Sheep Squadron in the first round for 40 games and EMPIRE challenging the Black Sheep Squadron to a 40 game challenge? Either way, we play the same match and get a result.

Agreed.
Colonel Lubawski

Postby jpcloet on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:21 am

I partially agree, would like a second ladder that includes all clan tournaments at some future point.
Captain jpcloet

Postby Chuuuuck on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Waiting on hearing back from the following:

IA
ID
AOC
KORT
TSM

I also still need contact information from:

ID
AOC
Nemesis
KORT
TSM
Veroveraars der Lage Landen

The quicker we figure out who is going to play the quicker we can vote for seedings and get the play-in games started.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby waseemalim on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Chuuuuck wrote:Waiting on hearing back from the following:

IA
ID
AOC
KORT
TSM

ID
AOC
Nemesis
KORT
TSM

The quicker we figure out who is going to play the quicker we can vote for seedings and get the play-in games started.

Apologies, but please also change LoW to reserve until you hear back from someone else. We are discussing this still.
Life is what happens while you are busy playing Conquer Club.
Brigadier waseemalim

Postby Foxglove on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:23 pm

IA
ID
AOC
KORT
TSM

ID
AOC
Nemesis
KORT
TSM

Hey chuuuuck, we have our vote up now - we should know very soon. Sorry for the delay!
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby Chuuuuck on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:23 pm

waseemalim wrote:

IA
ID
AOC
KORT
TSM

ID
AOC
Nemesis
KORT
TSM

Apologies, but please also change LoW to reserve until you hear back from someone else. We are discussing this still.

Done
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby Chuuuuck on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Foxglove wrote:

IA
ID
AOC
KORT
TSM

ID
AOC
Nemesis
KORT
TSM

Hey chuuuuck, we have our vote up now - we should know very soon. Sorry for the delay!

Thanks foxxy, hope to see you all, wouldn't be as competetive without KORT.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby freakns on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:49 pm

sry for delay about secondary contact, we were just looking who would take responsibilities :)

primary contact: freakns
secondary contact: maasman
Brigadier freakns

Postby Namor on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:29 pm

AoC, would be happy to take up the challenge.

Primary contact: Namor
Secondary contacts: Eyestone & Stahrgazer

Thanks to Chuck & Lub., I'm sure the thing will be a huge success.
Last edited by Namor on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Namor

Postby jj3044 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:38 pm

This is really exciting guys... thanks for all the clans who joined up so far (and will continue to do so), and thanks for Chuck for making it possible!

We are looking forward to giving you all a kick in the pants... defending our 7-1 clan challenge record. :)
Colonel jj3044

Postby hiddendragon on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Chuuuuck wrote:

I agree with Charles, I too think that since each contest is basically a clan-war without the pretense that these games should count towards the ladder. I think that if the Spanking Monkeys or THOTA sits this one out that no one clan should be able to unseat their because they win this but I think it could help with the shuffle of clans that are about.

I still think the 1v1 are cheesy and should be omitted. It is, in my opinion, only inferior clans who use 1v1 in clan challenges.

jj3044 wrote:We are looking forward to giving you all a kick in the pants... defending our 7-1 clan challenge record. :)

Before you stick your chest out too far remember your group barely edged mine last time around and my group has trimmed up considerable, and for the better, since out last engagement.
This should be fun jj :D
Sergeant 1st Class hiddendragon

Postby chephren on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:34 am

hiddendragon wrote:
Chuuuuck wrote:

I agree with Charles, I too think that since each contest is basically a clan-war without the pretense that these games should count towards the ladder. I think that if the Spanking Monkeys or THOTA sits this one out that no one clan should be able to unseat their because they win this but I think it could help with the shuffle of clans that are about.

I still think the 1v1 are cheesy and should be omitted. It is, in my opinion, only inferior clans who use 1v1 in clan challenges.

jj3044 wrote:We are looking forward to giving you all a kick in the pants... defending our 7-1 clan challenge record. :)

Before you stick your chest out too far remember your group barely edged mine last time around and my group has trimmed up considerable, and for the better, since out last engagement.
This should be fun jj :D

Post Deleted
Last edited by chephren on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
General chephren

Postby poptartpsycho18 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:40 am

Well, I'm interested in L4D participating, but would like to know how many people would be required to participate. (Sry if this has been asked already) I literally just found out about this :oops: Please reserve us a spot and I'll get back to you here in a few days after chatting up the others.

ptp18
Corporal poptartpsycho18

Postby Chariot of Fire on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 am

poptartpsycho18 wrote:Well, I'm interested in L4D participating, but would like to know how many people would be required to participate. (Sry if this has been asked already) I literally just found out about this :oops: Please reserve us a spot and I'll get back to you here in a few days after chatting up the others.

ptp18

PTP....just to answer you quickly, you'll need a minimum of 9 players (who would each be playing approx 15 games in Rnds 1 & 2, and 20 games in the semi & final).
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby poptartpsycho18 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 am

Thx--now I know what to tell everyone :)
Corporal poptartpsycho18

Postby Incandenza on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:11 am

Some various opinions about things that have been discussed:

1. start date: I think that having the official start date as March 15 or even April 1 might be the best bet. In a larger sense, the clan league's regular season wraps up by the end of March. In a smaller sense, while the thota-monki challenge should be winding down, I wouldn't mind a wee break between the end of that challenge and the beginning of the cup.

2. length of the whole thing: yeah, it's going to last awhile for whoever makes the finals, but it's not substantially longer-lasting than either season of the clan league. It's certainly more games, but it's pretty spread out.

3. length of individual challenges: I think you guys are going to need to be at least a little strict when it comes to timing, i.e. while the competing clans should be able to have some discretion, there needs to be some guidelines, i.e. within 1 month of the official start date, all games of a given challenge need to be started (with 48 games, that allows a pretty doable rollout of 16 games every two weeks, or 24 games every 3 weeks). Once the cup gets to the semis and finals, greater allowance can be made for circumstances (as jp mentioned, August and September tend to be dead zones, which could probably be chalked up to Europeans on holiday and practically everyone under the age of, say, 21 doing the back-to-school thing), but if the first round ends up taking 3 months, it'll really screw things up down the road when it comes to working games around the various end-of-year holidays.

4. number of games: looks fine. Like some I'm not exactly over the moon with 1v1, but I accept the fact that they've become a legit part of challenges and thus merit some representation in an event of this sort.

5. play-in games: should be kept pretty short and sweet, say 3d/3t/3q and a best-of 3 1v1 per side, 20 points, 24 total games, one map use, anything shorter and you might as well make the whole play-in best of 3.

One question: for the 1v1 sets, do all 5 games have to have the same settings? Or does it just have to be the same map and same players?

Nice work fellas, esp Chuck.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby chephren on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:39 am

Incandenza wrote:3. length of individual challenges: I think you guys are going to need to be at least a little strict when it comes to timing, i.e. while the competing clans should be able to have some discretion, there needs to be some guidelines, i.e. within 1 month of the official start date, all games of a given challenge need to be started (with 48 games, that allows a pretty doable rollout of 16 games every two weeks, or 24 games every 3 weeks). Once the cup gets to the semis and finals, greater allowance can be made for circumstances (as jp mentioned, August and September tend to be dead zones, which could probably be chalked up to Europeans on holiday and practically everyone under the age of, say, 21 doing the back-to-school thing), but if the first round ends up taking 3 months, it'll really screw things up down the road when it comes to working games around the various end-of-year holidays.
Nice work fellas, esp Chuck.

Some good points Incan...especially No.3 needs some thought ... I was thinking pretty much the same. There needs to be some limits placed so that there are no ridiculous delays. I can see a situation even early on where a clan delays starting, because one of their top dogs is away on a 6 week holiday...that wouldn't really be fair to the opposition clan or to the clan awaiting the winner in the next round. Extreme example perhaps, but imposing some general limits (nothing too severe) will negate that possibility of unreasonable delays...and pushing the whole climax to the tournament back. As the rounds progress the limits could be eased, but there should still be guidelines. Ideally it would all be wrapped up well before Christmas; there would be a 3 or 4 month break ready to start again in March/April 2011.
General chephren

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Challenges