Conquer Club

[CC9] Conqueror's Cup IX - Main Thread - Completed

Finished challenges between two competitive clans.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [CC9] Starting, with 18 Clans (Bracket posted)

Postby Keefie on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:21 pm

shoop76 wrote:
Doc_Brown wrote:
IcePack wrote:
Doc_Brown wrote:From the description of the competition:
The finalists of CC8 will be the first 2 seeds, the other 6 will be based on the December D400 Clan Ranking. In case of byes, the higher seeds will get those. The rest of the bracket will be filled randomly.

So seeding is based on the December update of D400, except that CC8 finalists are guaranteed the top seeds. The top 8 seeded clans in the bracket match the most recent rankings. If your question is why TOFU is #1 and you're #2, the top two seeds have always been seeded relative to each other based on clan rankings.

I'm not sure this bolded part is correct, but I think at some point it was finalists had top two seeds, but if the finals had completed the winner was awarded #1, and loser #2 seed (regardless of rankings).
Could be wrong, and I haven't looked it up. This is just from memory

Early on, the bracket was seeded entirely from F400 rankings, regardless of who the finalists were (this was definitely the case through CC4, but I think changed for CC5). I think the ideal has been to give the winner the #1 seed, but the reality has been that we've never yet had a winner identified before setting up the brackets for the next competition.

Am I sensing some fear in TOFU's first matchup?

I've heard that extra toilets have been installed in TOFU's clubhouse :shock:
Captain Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby IcePack on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:10 pm

IcePack wrote:Will there be a prediction challonge?

Bump
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Lindax on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:50 am

IcePack wrote:
IcePack wrote:Will there be a prediction challonge?

Bump

Don't know if it will be on Challonge, but JPlo will set up a prediction contest.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Re: [CC9] Sign-up (open 1 more day) 15(17?)/?

Postby torres44cm on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:44 pm

torres44cm wrote:Spelunkers of Hell will gladly sign up

1st contact: torres44cm
2nd contact: dt03457 (pending)

Our Co-leader dt03457 wont be able to be 2nd contact, going on a sabbatical, so looks like I'll be handleing this war by myself, (I'm a rookie with war threads) so patience will be appreciated.

I've read the instructions and understand the rules. Additionally from the forum I post in Active War List our war Heading vs LOW in CC9 rnd 2 , then I'm granted privlages, guess without privliges I couldn't create our games with the CC9 access linked to my games in "Start Games" menu?

SoH and LOW has agreed to terms
Captain torres44cm

Re: [CC9] Sign-up (open 1 more day) 15(17?)/?

Postby Lindax on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:44 am

torres44cm wrote:
torres44cm wrote:Spelunkers of Hell will gladly sign up

1st contact: torres44cm
2nd contact: dt03457 (pending)

Our Co-leader dt03457 wont be able to be 2nd contact, going on a sabbatical, so looks like I'll be handleing this war by myself, (I'm a rookie with war threads) so patience will be appreciated.

I've read the instructions and understand the rules. Additionally from the forum I post in Active War List our war Heading vs LOW in CC9 rnd 2 , then I'm granted privlages, guess without privliges I couldn't create our games with the CC9 access linked to my games in "Start Games" menu?

SoH and LOW has agreed to terms

Torres, I split your post from the Active War Games" thread and it is now a new thread in Active Challenges, see below.

LOW needs to agree to the terms in that thread.

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Re: [CC9] Conqueror's Cup IX - Main Thread - R2

Postby Lindax on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:28 am

TOFU and SOH are through to round 3. Their 6 week period starts this Sunday, April 14.

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Lindax on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:09 pm

TOP and FOED are through to round 3. Their 6 week period starts this Sunday, April 21.

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Lindax on Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:48 am

Unfortunately SOH had to pull out of CC9.

This means that TOFU goes through to the next round.

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby josko.ri on Thu May 02, 2019 7:24 am

Lindax wrote:Unfortunately SOH had to pull out of CC9.

Lx

Why SoH pulled out?

Can you give a wild card to quarterfinals instead of SoH, maybe reward the Clan who lost Round 16 match with the lowest margin?

Giving bye to TOFU seems as the worst possible solution IMO.
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby Doc_Brown on Thu May 02, 2019 8:16 am

josko.ri wrote:

Lx

Why SoH pulled out?

Can you give a wild card to quarterfinals instead of SoH, maybe reward the Clan who lost Round 16 match with the lowest margin?

While I agree it's not a good situation, this is the way it has been handled in previous events as well - when a clan pulls out, someone else doesn't just automatically get a second chance. And we could come up with all sorts of arguments about which clan is most deserving of a second chance. Should LOW get the spot since they were the last ones to face SOH and would have taken it anyway if SOH had dropped out earlier? Is the smallest margin of victory the best deciding factor regardless of the strength of the opponent? Is it fair for the clan the won that matchup to potentially have to face the same clan twice in order to win the competition? Further, if we go with smallest margin of loss in the round of 16, we have to wait until all round 2 wars are final before choosing TOFU's round 3 opponent. That will impose a significant delay on the overall competition.
Major Doc_Brown

Postby josko.ri on Thu May 02, 2019 9:36 am

Doc_Brown wrote:
josko.ri wrote:

Lx

Why SoH pulled out?

While I agree it's not a good situation, this is the way it has been handled in previous events as well - when a clan pulls out, someone else doesn't just automatically get a second chance. And we could come up with all sorts of arguments about which clan is most deserving of a second chance. Should LOW get the spot since they were the last ones to face SOH and would have taken it anyway if SOH had dropped out earlier? Is the smallest margin of victory the best deciding factor regardless of the strength of the opponent? Is it fair for the clan the won that matchup to potentially have to face the same clan twice in order to win the competition? Further, if we go with smallest margin of loss in the round of 16, we have to wait until all round 2 wars are final before choosing TOFU's round 3 opponent. That will impose a significant delay on the overall competition.

All possibilities that you mentioned are better than what was done, giving bye.
Lieutenant josko.ri

Re: [CC9] Conqueror's Cup IX - Main Thread - R2/R3

Postby rockfist on Thu May 02, 2019 10:58 am

I did not want a bye. I think we need to face someone in order to be "tuned up" for a semi-finals match, but I was told those are the rules. :(
I like winning matches fairly early to have a slight break in between them, but too much of a break can dull your focus. I know I start playing crazy games that bear little resemblance to competitive clan games during breaks.
Major rockfist

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu May 02, 2019 12:21 pm

The irony of an ex-KoRT player being upset over a clan getting a free win is amusing.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Lindax on Thu May 02, 2019 2:40 pm

josko.ri wrote:

Lx

Why SoH pulled out?

SOH has not publicly announce why they pulled out, so I will not publicly post about the issue.

Everybody agrees it's an unfortunate situation. However, I disagree that TOFU was "given a bye". Their are left without an opponent, so they go through to the next round.

Now, I don't have a problem with TOFU playing another opponent. It is not obligatory though. In other words, TOFU would voluntarily agree to play another opponent. I my opinion that would be LOW since they were SOH's last opponent. In any case, both clans would have to agree to play each other in round 3.

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby rockfist on Mon May 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Just a general question...if we played another opponent - say LOW, who lost in the first round...suppose LOW goes on and wins the tournament, how would people feel about that? I suppose those clans that lost to LOW might not be bothered by it, but what about clans who didn't?
Major rockfist

Postby Donelladan on Mon May 06, 2019 4:24 pm

I wouldn't mind.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby josko.ri on Tue May 07, 2019 1:23 am

rockfist wrote:Just a general question...if we played another opponent - say LOW, who lost in the first round...suppose LOW goes on and wins the tournament, how would people feel about that? I suppose those clans that lost to LOW might not be bothered by it, but what about clans who didn't?

The only clan who didn't lost by LOW is SOH, so how could they feel it is unjust when they jump out of the tournament?
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby rockfist on Tue May 07, 2019 6:52 am

That is not what I meant. I meant suppose S&M loses to OSA, Fallen, or LHDD, but LOW “wins” the tournament...what makes LOW deserving of getting a pass after losing a round and not S&M?
Major rockfist

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Tue May 07, 2019 7:54 am

rockfist wrote:That is not what I meant. I meant suppose S&M loses to OSA, Fallen, or LHDD, but LOW “wins” the tournament...what makes LOW deserving of getting a pass after losing a round and not S&M?

I think that is a very fair question to ask.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Doc_Brown on Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 am

Historically, when a clan has dropped out of a major tournament, their future opponents have been given a bye. Perhaps there is a better way to handle this, but I'm not convinced. Should there be any exceptions to the "single elimination" aspect of the tournament? I would argue that this is a larger question that concerns more clans than just TOFU and LOW. I think before we make changes to the tournament on the fly, and in a way that another clan might feel unfairly benefits a single clan with a second chance, we should open it up for a general discussion about how to handle such cases in the future. Clan League has a very explicit rule allowing clans to leave the event midway through. I think the only way to be fair to all the other clans in CC9 is to let existing results stand and open up alternative means of handling drop-outs in the CAT for a vote prior to CCX.
Major Doc_Brown

Postby JPlo64 on Tue May 07, 2019 8:07 am

rockfist wrote:That is not what I meant. I meant suppose S&M loses to OSA, Fallen, or LHDD, but LOW “wins” the tournament...what makes LOW deserving of getting a pass after losing a round and not S&M?

In this scenario, the clan LOW lost to withdrew from the tournament, so that result is kind of nullified.
Major JPlo64
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby josko.ri on Tue May 07, 2019 8:57 am

If you ask me, not LOW should be given the place but the best achieved clan among losers of Round 16.
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby josko.ri on Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 am

Doc_Brown wrote:Historically, when a clan has dropped out of a major tournament, their future opponents have been given a bye. Perhaps there is a better way to handle this, but I'm not convinced. Should there be any exceptions to the "single elimination" aspect of the tournament? I would argue that this is a larger question that concerns more clans than just TOFU and LOW. I think before we make changes to the tournament on the fly, and in a way that another clan might feel unfairly benefits a single clan with a second chance, we should open it up for a general discussion about how to handle such cases in the future. Clan League has a very explicit rule allowing clans to leave the event midway through. I think the only way to be fair to all the other clans in CC9 is to let existing results stand and open up alternative means of handling drop-outs in the CAT for a vote prior to CCX.

This is the first time ever someone dropped of CCup, so don't make a case that historically there were given byes when that have never happened.
Or do you recall that it happened? If so, when?
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue May 07, 2019 11:28 am

I’ll play against TOFU.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby rockfist on Tue May 07, 2019 11:44 am

If you beat TOP you'd get that chance regardless.
Major rockfist

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Challenges