Conquer Club

You Can Design the Official Clan Icons! [CDF Discussion]

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: You Can Design the Official Clan Icons! [CDF Voting]

Postby grifftron on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Clan's are not going to have these avatars shoved down their throats... If I understand correctly, they will be used for the clan tab, and possibly a tourney where they will be put on the OP of the tourney? Don't make so much drama over this, each clan will still be able to have their own clan avatars & signatures like they already have.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Doc_Brown on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:50 pm

I have to agree with all the critiques. I really don't like the shields. The silhouettes have little resemblance to insignia the clans are known by. I understand the motivation of having a consistent clan logo style, but is consistency on one page more important than having multiple unrecognizable clan logos for each clan depending on where you're looking? Also, splitting the clan designation into the four shield quadrants looks really bad. I look at Mythology's logo and I see My T H, and if I wasn't familiar with the clans, I wouldn't know immediately think Mythology. What does it mean?. My team for hockey? My transvestite horses? The clan designation is written with all letters together everywhere else on the site. Keep the letters together here as well.

Your goal is consistency. But consistency on a brand new page that is only just starting to be used at the expense of consistency across the rest of the clan pages? That doesn't make sense. I'm with the others that have suggested that you give the clans a basic template and let them supply their logo. For TOFU, we'd decide internally whether we preferred the robot or the stylized cartoon Tofu figure. Mythology would of course keep their shield, and so on. The shield as a template may be okay if you group the letters together and allow full color icons inside.
Major Doc_Brown

Postby macbone on Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:40 am

My Transvestite Horses? Doc, that sounds like an awesome clan name. =)

I don't know, I guess I'd just like to see a nice logo on the clan page. Tournaments are fine. Those are a one-time thing, but the clan page is always going to be up there.

I'd hope that we could have the option to put our own logo up there if we don't like the set of logos currently available. Maybe the other clan members will like the options available, but I'd prefer the option to submit our own logo that falls in the guidelines of the general clan template.

I'm appreciative that Conquer Club members went to the trouble of coming up with new icons, but I prefer the first three sets of icons that were previously used. None of the latest sets of icons do much for me. =)

Edit:

This one does look better, though:

Colonel macbone

Postby Dako on Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:59 am

Yes. Submit your own logo or use default one that can be modified a bit for you. Sounds like a perfect compromise to me.
Colonel Dako

Postby Genoke on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:03 am

Dako wrote:Yes. Submit your own logo or use default one that can be modified a bit for you. Sounds like a perfect compromise to me.

+1
My CC:
show
Brigadier Genoke

Postby MGSteve on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:11 am

Qwert wrote:well i know that mine clan have Insignia, and its will not be change in some black white silhouettes, who dont represent anything.

Why are this better then our own icon?

It isn't better. It sucks. It's a very poor design and I see no reason for us to have to go to some plain jane, non -imaginative, non-creative badge of a nameplate when we have a nicely designed avatar that actually has some meaning beyond "this is the new crap avatar that has absolutely nothing to do with your clan but its initials that someone with no taste decided to make the clans switch to for no valid reason whatsoever." Get the idea that I don't approve?!

I can see why the clan leaders weren't told of this from the start. It would take keeping something this bad so quiet to get it approved if there's any say that the majority has. If this is official, it certainly fits the model for those really terribly poor ideas some petty bureaucrat with no taste comes up with to do something with his overpaid time to try to leave a legacy or impress someone and it somehow gets backdoored into fruition to the joy of the mindless and horror of the masses it affects.
Major MGSteve

Postby Shannon Apple on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:17 am

MGSteve wrote:
Qwert wrote:well i know that mine clan have Insignia, and its will not be change in some black white silhouettes, who dont represent anything.

It isn't better. It sucks. It's a very poor design and I see no reason for us to have to go to some plain jane, non -imaginative, non-creative badge of a nameplate when we have a nicely designed avatar that actually has some meaning beyond "this is the new crap avatar that has absolutely nothing to do with your clan but its initials that someone with no taste decided to make the clans switch to for no valid reason whatsoever." Get the idea that I don't approve?!

Qwert created that horrible thing to make the shield design look bad. There's no way it would look like that. lol.

Anyway. I have said enough on it.

I think it's unfair to have had people enter this contest and then create a completely shit version of the proposed icons they put forward, make it look like they did it, then have everyone else bash them. You could simply say, "I don't like the idea" and be done with it.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Qwert on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:29 am

Shannon Apple wrote:
MGSteve wrote:

Qwert created that horrible thing to make the shield design look bad. There's no way it would look like that. lol.

Anyway. I have said enough on it.

I think it's unfair to have had people enter this contest and then create a completely shit version of the proposed icons they put forward, make it look like they did it, then have everyone else bash them. You could simply say, "I don't like the idea" and be done with it.

wrong-- you tell me that every clan insignia will be in This Middle age Shield , with silouete of Clan will be inside. So i just do what you tell me, and its look totally unrecognized.
We have circle Ancient Greek Shield(and its quite normal and logical for Mythology) and now this need to be something totally diferent?
Why its problem that if some clan have hes own insignia, its not possible to be add on Clan List, because someone think that all clan insignia need to be in same Middle Age Knight shield ?
When i look on sports competitions, every team in NBA-NHL-NFL have totally different badges, and they not a same.

Like i say if 20 clans want that hes own insignia be in this Shield, and look almost identical., i dont have nothing against this, but every clan who want to have hes own insignia, then these need to be accepted.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:33 am

Genoke wrote:
Dako wrote:Yes. Submit your own logo or use default one that can be modified a bit for you. Sounds like a perfect compromise to me.

+1

+1

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Neither of the final 2 entries are great, and neither is Qwert's own design for Myth.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Shannon Apple on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:37 am

@ Qwert: No one said anything against clans having their own insignia. Leehar said it was a proposal and that means subject to being changed. The other set could easily be changed too. You're the one that's been all dramatic about in and intentionally creating an autistic version of what was presented. It may not be the best design in the world, but that's no reason to do what you did. As far as I saw, your set was really bad as well.

I am just coming down on you for making a shitty version of the coat of arms, saying that it will look like that, then one of your clan members comes in and personally attacks/flames the artist (saying they are unimaginative, have no taste etc) who made them. Bad form guys, REALLY bad form.

show
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Armandolas on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I think he just wants to replace you in the "Drama Queen" role :D
Colonel Armandolas

Postby agentcom on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:05 am

I can't even tell what this all is about ... is there a way that the images could be posted? I see Leehar's post a while back, but it just looks like this:

... I assume there were actual images in there at some point.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Lindax on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:30 am

agentcom wrote:I can't even tell what this all is about ... is there a way that the images could be posted? I see Leehar's post a while back, but it just looks like this:

... I assume there were actual images in there at some point.

Looks like this one is starting to go a little sideways. I don't see any CDs around, so I'm locking this as a precaution. I'm sure they'll open it back up again in a while.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Leehar on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:47 am

Option 2 won the contest, we'll now have a discussion on whether everyone wants their own.

show: Option 2
show
Colonel Leehar

Re: You Can Design the Official Clan Icons! [CDF Discussion]

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:50 am

Definitely want to design our own in ATN.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Leehar on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:12 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:Definitely want to design our own in ATN.

Remember either way you'd still be choosing your logo. The only difference now would be that it would be that you'd choose to not make it block shaped? (With the other version people were just averse to putting it on a shield apparently)

Again, I imagine the designers would be amenable to incorporating the individual clan needs, so for me all thats really being done is to make a mockery of the contest.

But either way, you'll have to announce your support for it in CDF, if thats what the clan world wants, thats currently the mechanism for being heard.
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:15 am

Leehar wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Definitely want to design our own in ATN.

Remember either way you'd still be choosing your logo. The only difference now would be that it would be that you'd choose to not make it block shaped? (With the other version people were just averse to putting it on a shield apparently)

Again, I imagine the designers would be amenable to incorporating the individual clan needs, so for me all thats really being done is to make a mockery of the contest.

I agree, and if a better design option had won the contest then, from my point of view, there would be no issue. However, since the winning design is poor at best, and takes 1 minute to make in Photoshop with a couple of filters, I'd rather make my own.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Shannon Apple on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:03 am

I can say that, I was the one who came up with the shield idea, and I only put the silhouettes on because I didn't know what to put on them, but it was with the view of replacing them with whatever images the clans use. I didn't have copies of anyone's stuff, so I did the best I could with what was available to me. I couldn't say too much because the competition was anonymous.

I even sent colour version to Leehar of what I could do. I withdrew from this thing because too much bullshit over something that I, like everybody else who entered, put together in a very short time frame. ie day before the deadline since there were no entries from any of you. You cannot expect some super amazing design to be created within the space of a few hours. It was what I submitted, so had to stick to it. The shape was simple to create and I took the idea off something else that was doing a "coat of arms" for teams. Still took a couple of hours to do though. Anyway, that's my piece on it. Qwert is a trouble maker, and no matter who came up with the idea, what he did was totally out of line. What he did was insulting and his clanmate was also an ass about it. There was no compromise like "can we just put our own logo on it as it is, within the frame?" He just created an autistic version and put it up to deliberately make it look bad.

Anyway, I moved them to their own folder because I had enough, so they're not actually deleted.
http://s4.photobucket.com/user/gerisul/ ... CC%20icons

I won't be entering anymore of these things ever again, but maybe next time there is something like this, try to be a bit more considerate of the hours someone put into something and ask for compromises before treating people like shit.

Oh, and congrats to the winner. Despite how annoyed I feel about the actions of people, I really do mean that. =)

Thanks.
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Keefie on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:16 am

+1 Shannon

I agree that some folk have behaved deplorably :(
Captain Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Qwert on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Leehar wrote:Option 2 won the contest, we'll now have a discussion on whether everyone wants their own.

show: Option 2

why i have feel that in the end i won this contest? Its almost identical icons, ofcourse mine are smaller(because use them for Cl5 tables) and with images what Clans have for they icons previously, also mine are transparent background, and this are black bacground. If i create with same dimensions, this will be identical icons..
Realy dont see any diferent here, so in the end i won to.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Shannon Apple on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Is that really what this was all about? You were upset because yours didn't make the final round? Tsk Tsk. Look, just appreciate that someone else also went to the effort and created a set, and won. It doesn't matter if theirs was as simple as yours. They won, not you. Get over it. You didn't make any effort with yours either by your own logic. Now it is up to clans to decide if they want to go with the design or not, but it really isn't up to you to step in and say. "Okay, I still won."

I think you are being really unfair to the winner. Give him/her a chance to communicate with the clans and amend their design to people's satisfaction. If people decide that they just want to design their own, then great, that's what it'll be.
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Qwert on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:Is that really what this was all about? You were upset because yours didn't make the final round? Tsk Tsk. Look, just appreciate that someone else also went to the effort and created a set, and won. It doesn't matter if theirs was as simple as yours. They won, not you. Get over it. You didn't make any effort with yours either by your own logic. Now it is up to clans to decide if they want to go with the design or not, but it really isn't up to you to step in and say. "Okay, I still won."

I think you are being really unfair to the winner. Give him/her a chance to communicate with the clans and amend their design to people's satisfaction. If people decide that they just want to design their own, then great, that's what it'll be.

are you have some problems? I create icons far before when nobody even mentioned any contest. I dont know who are designer, but what i notice its almost same like mine, and this its good. As long he/she want to take all clan icons into consideration, this its ok by me.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Shannon Apple on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Yeah, my problem is your lack of tact when addressing others work. Your icons would not work for front page. No offense, but they're not that well done at all. They are very quickly cut out of their backgrounds and are not "designed" at all. These ones are much cleaner. If one was to make proper icons, they would need a large scale version of the image used that they can then cut out properly using the pen tool. That takes a long time to do for 40 images. You would have to give credit to anyone who spent the time to do that alone... and do it properly AND apply them to a design template.

As I was saying, you don't have to like something, but you can be constructive in your criticism, not destructive. That means telling someone what you don't like about what they've done in a civil manner, and then telling them how you think they can improve it. Don't be so quick to dismiss the creator of set 2 as not deserving to win because you think yours are better.

Forgive me for having an issue with the way you've conducted yourself in this thread. You obviously cannot see the error of your ways, so I'll just leave it at that. I'm done. >.>
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

PreviousNext

Return to Clan Archives