Conquer Club

[Rules] Restrict Freestyle for New Recruits

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Should the option to play freestyle be eliminated for new recruits?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 30

Re: Eliminate freestyle for new recruits

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:13 am

Viper, please keep it on topic.

IF you want to start a thread about that, go ahead.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby AgentSmith88 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:This suggestion:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

covers most of what you are looking for

I would say yours is quite different from this suggestion. This suggestion is straightforward and easy to understand. Your suggestion had many parts and things for debate. I'm unsure how long you suggestion will be to sort through and finalize, but I feel like this could be implemented in the meantime if your suggestion is eventually implemented.
king sam wrote:quit facebook stalking me... and Im a sailor all I do is drunk, cuss and make illegitimate kids when Im away from CC

dont sig that
Captain AgentSmith88

Postby Queen_Herpes on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:42 pm

AgentSmith88 wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:This suggestion:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

covers most of what you are looking for

I would say yours is quite different from this suggestion. This suggestion is straightforward and easy to understand. Your suggestion had many parts and things for debate. I'm unsure how long you suggestion will be to sort through and finalize, but I feel like this could be implemented in the meantime if your suggestion is eventually implemented.

ON the contrary, My suggestion actually does attempt too much, so I am currently looking into how to scale it down. A tiered implementation might possibly be a good thing. One thing for sure that needs to happen is that the newest players need to be kept from playing freestyle games. I would argue, however, that they should be kept from freestyle games for their first ten games at least.

Seems like you have a lot of support for this aspect. I'd be willing to to edit my suggestion to have the first tier of implementation be this: increase the waiting period for new recruits to 10 games. (The current wait period is 5 games). AND include in that waiting period that freestyle is an option that new recruits are blocked from playing. (Currently the wait period just prevents the new recruit from playing on about 25 of the maps.)

You can also check out my suggestion at: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

What do you think?
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:48 pm

Good god people... this suggestion is pretty ridiculous. For starters I know many recruits want these things.

A) - A fun game
B) - A fast game
C) - Something they can actually understand

This is 2010 and most people who come to this website have played another online game before now. 1000's and 1000's of them are freestyle. First person Shooters, Role playing games such as World of War Craft... I could go on and on... Anyhow Freestyle offers all of these things. Freestyle is one of the most easy games to understand. It might not be the easiest to play but easiest to understand.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby Queen_Herpes on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Good god people... this suggestion is pretty ridiculous. For starters I know many recruits want these things.

A) - A fun game
B) - A fast game
C) - Something they can actually understand

This is 2010 and most people who come to this website have played another online game before now. 1000's and 1000's of them are freestyle. First person Shooters, Role playing games such as World of War Craft... I could go on and on... Anyhow Freestyle offers all of these things. Freestyle is one of the most easy games to understand. It might not be the easiest to play but easiest to understand.

88% of users who have voted disagree with you, Bruce.

You yourself said "It might not be the easiest to play..."

I happen to take issue with your comment that freestyle is the easiest to understand. In first person shooters, FRP, and all other games where there is no turn order, all players receive their bonuses, awards, mannah, powers, etc. no matter what. Here, if a new recruit doesn't start his/her turn right when the other player or players start their turns, they risk losing their region count armies and any bonuses. Since most new recruits are freemiums, we are talking about casual games where a new recruit won't know (won't understand) that they need to remain aware of when their opponent(s) start their turn.

Freestyle often also strategically benefits the player who (though he or she may have started the turn first) waits for the opponent to deploy, attack and fortify before taking action. There are no games out there that allow the player to wait until the other player(s) have exhausted their resources before using their own...while also keeping resources back that are unaffected. Let me explain that last part a little better in Conquerclub terms: If I start my turn without deploying and wait until the other players have made all of their attacks and/or fortifications, the armies in my "hands" aren't risked. I cannot lose them. There is not a game out there that affords players this opportunity and therefore there is no example that would provide new recruits an understanding of freestyle here at conquerclub.

Addtionally, because a large number of new recruits miss their turns, the other players in the game must wait two turns to take their turns (in some instances).

All anyone in this thread is saying is that there is a reality that new recruits don't get freestyle at conquerclub.

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby rednut on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:37 am

Hello all,

as a noob, I think that banning the freestyle game for us is a mistake.

As much as I enjoy the type of game that CC is, two weeks into this and I'm frustrated and bored already. Not because of the core nature of CC but because I spend too much time waiting.
In one of my four games, 3 out of five players never took their turns. In the others, only one of them is progressing faster than 2 turns every 5 days. This may be fine once you've worked out the site and arranged multiple games, but for someone exploring the opportunities, its not a very good advertisement.
Unless I can get more out of this, I'm heading back to the days of cardboard, plastic men, beers and sledging mates in person. Freestyle and speed games are all that seems left that might keep me here - now that I've worked it out. (I almost joied a freestyle game by mistke - lucky I didnt)

I assume that the problem here is really that new recruits are joining freestyle games and ruining them for others. So you want to stop new players getting in over their heads without taking the fun away. As an alternative to banning them, I suggest that providing extra information will help new recruits pick their early games better.

Perhaps players with few games might have to confirm that they really want to play some types of game. Eg, Mr Noob picks a cool map with 5 players, called terminator (cool), unlimited reinforcements (sounds OK) and some other stuff that he doesn't really understand. He clicks it and gets a message that says "this is a freestyle game that involves more advanced rules than standard games. You should not continue to this game until you understand the rules thoroughly..<link to rules/discussion> DO you want to continue <link to game>"
Alternatively, highlighting difficult games (freestyle, maybe FOG) with a big sign saying "DANGER Little One" or some such thing would work.
Perhaps the freestyle games could be segregated just for New recruits.

I think new recruits should be treated as children - dont stop them doing any things unless it will harm them, instead, take extra time to provide a little guidance. (and then lock them in the basement when they really give you the shits).

cheers
New Recruit rednut

Previous

Return to Archived Suggestions