Conquer Club

New game type: Capture the flag

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

New game type: Capture the flag

Postby Samus on Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:59 am

This would be a team game where the object is to capture the opposing team's (or teams' in 2v2v2) flag. The "flag" would actually be a random territory given a large amount of neutral armies (say 25 or so, enough that it can't be taken simply due to favorable enemy positioning). The first team to attack and conquer their opponent's "flag" territory wins. Players can fortify more armies to their flag, however the flag is inactive and those armies can never be taken back out again.

Priority: 3
Major Samus

Postby Hitmanblood on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:31 am

I like idea but it could be played in triples also. And it should recieve each turn certain amount of units so as not to make it prey easily.
207 Hitmanblood 2045 102 51 (50%)
Lieutenant Hitmanblood

Postby jc103 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:04 am

sounds like it would work.

Probably wouldnt do very well in an escalating game though!!
2007-03-04 13:49:20 - jc103 eliminated Blitzaholic from the game =]

highest score - 1770 / rank - 598
Sergeant 1st Class jc103

Postby Geographical on Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:58 am

Looks fine to me
[url=www.conquerclub.com]Image
Image[/url] Clicky Either One

Geography Rules!
Corporal 1st Class Geographical

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:22 am

Sounds cool....

....but some suggestions on that idea:

The flag could be considered a unit which could be moved during the fortification stage, or even advanced with attacking armies during successful invasions. Naturally, the flag should be limited to moving only to adjacent territories, or it would be too hard to capture. If the flag is considered a unit, perhaps it could also give +1 to the highest die of armies in the same square, or nullify the first casualty you would receive on each exchange that the flag is present. An option to make the flag "invisible" (its movements not appearing in the game log or on the map) should be considered. If the flag is captured by enemy forces (your opponent overruns the armies defending the territory your flag is currently planted), it comes under enemy control, and the conquering enemy can move the flag (one adjacent territory at a time per round) towards their own flag, completing the capture (and elimination of the flag's original owner, who can try to recapture the flag before that happens).
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby max is gr8 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:31 am

If this came through I'ld want it to be 500 armies then it requires a lot of attack and makes the game full of fun of attack and protecting AND it always is in the same position AND the armies are fixed until they die they can't go up or down
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Master Bush on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:36 am

500 armies? you're nuts.
"You know what they say about Love and War...."
"Yeah, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's War."
Sergeant 1st Class Master Bush

Postby max is gr8 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:39 am

It came with the job description

It would be fun

I mean I have a chance of winning this one
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Master Bush on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:39 am

Even with 500 armies, you're chances are not that great.

:lol:
"You know what they say about Love and War...."
"Yeah, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's War."
Sergeant 1st Class Master Bush

Postby max is gr8 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:42 am

It requires more strategy with more armies
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Nikita_2006 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:52 am

Capture the flag ?

In Holland we have a boardgame named "Stratego" where you must capture the flag.
Private Nikita_2006

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:03 am

Nikita_2006 wrote:Capture the flag ?

In Holland we have a boardgame named "Stratego" where you must capture the flag.

In Soviet Russia, flag captures you!
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby Samus on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:38 pm

CreepyUncleAndy wrote:

In Soviet Russia, flag captures you!

LOL
Major Samus

Postby Samus on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:43 pm

max is gr8 wrote:If this came through I'ld want it to be 500 armies then it requires a lot of attack and makes the game full of fun of attack and protecting AND it always is in the same position AND the armies are fixed until they die they can't go up or down

Well, I think with 500 armies, it would just wind up being a normal game. Much easier to kill your opponents first, then beat on the flag. Especially if they waste their armies attacking your flag. What if they spend 50 armies attacking your flag? Your flag would still be at around 450, and your team would be up 50 armies on them. It can't be too much, or going after the flag is a moot issue, it's just a regular game with an extended ending.

There's no reason this can't be an option, though. Select 10, 20, 50, etc. armies on startup.
Major Samus

Postby GreecePwns on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:56 pm

Or instead have the flag itself an option and players choose where to put their flags at the start. The game continues as a normal game, but if the flag territory is killed before the player is killed, the player is eliminated with his extra armies becoming neurtals.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Wisse on Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:03 pm

Master Bush wrote:500 armies? you're nuts.

we did already know he is nuts ;)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Samus on Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:24 pm

GreecePwns wrote:Or instead have the flag itself an option and players choose where to put their flags at the start. The game continues as a normal game, but if the flag territory is killed before the player is killed, the player is eliminated with his extra armies becoming neurtals.

Well, I was assuming each team would have a flag, not each player. If your team's flag gets killed, you're all eliminated. So in the case of 2v2v2, yes, the remaining armies of the first team out would turn neutral as the 2 other teams battle it out for the win.

I like the option to pick your flag location. I was assuming Lack could program randomly placed flags so that they weren't bordering or part of the same region, but they could still wind up in bad places. Not sure how hard the placement option would be to program though.
Major Samus

Postby GreecePwns on Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:55 pm

Samus wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:Or instead have the flag itself an option and players choose where to put their flags at the start. The game continues as a normal game, but if the flag territory is killed before the player is killed, the player is eliminated with his extra armies becoming neurtals.

Well, I was assuming each team would have a flag, not each player. If your team's flag gets killed, you're all eliminated. So in the case of 2v2v2, yes, the remaining armies of the first team out would turn neutral as the 2 other teams battle it out for the win.

I like the option to pick your flag location. I was assuming Lack could program randomly placed flags so that they weren't bordering or part of the same region, but they could still wind up in bad places. Not sure how hard the placement option would be to program though.

Actually, that opens up to 2 suggestions, one for 1 flag per team, and 1 for each player on the team.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby RobinJ on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:06 pm

Great idea anyway...
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby wrightfan123 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:11 pm

Yea, I like this idea. It sorta makes it like assassin, so you have to keep it gaurded, but not so much that the other guys zero in on it too easilt. I like it.
Private wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:27 pm

We have that game here. Only it's called "Stratego".
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby dominationnation on Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:18 pm

I think that there should be an option so the creator makes the number of troops on the flag space. I also like the idea of being able to move the flag
Cook dominationnation

Postby s.xkitten on Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:59 pm

i like this idea...
Sergeant s.xkitten

Postby Samus on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:04 pm

dominationnation wrote:I also like the idea of being able to move the flag

I'm pretty sure Lack/Andy are going to say this can't be done. As I understand it, the site isn't set up to track specific armies like that, only territory ownership. I could be wrong though.

I am a bit concerned that the flag would wind up blocking bonuses in the region it was in. I have no idea if that could be worked around.
Major Samus

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:38 pm

Samus wrote:
dominationnation wrote:I also like the idea of being able to move the flag

I'm pretty sure Lack/Andy are going to say this can't be done. As I understand it, the site isn't set up to track specific armies like that, only territory ownership. I could be wrong though.

I am a bit concerned that the flag would wind up blocking bonuses in the region it was in. I have no idea if that could be worked around.

All that needs to be done is a new object created and EITHER a new phase added just after the end attacks button is pushed OR some things added to the army movement steps:

The object might be called playerFlag, and would have four variables:

playerFlagID
-- the owner of the flag; this value is static
playerFlagCON -- the current controller of the flag; changes when captured
playerFlagLOC -- the territory the flag currently occupies
playerFlagKILL -- equals FALSE until it occupies an enemy-owned territory containing an enemy flag owned by the same enemy player who occupies/controls that territory, at which point playerFlagKILL=TRUE and the dead flag's player is eliminated.

A new phase can be added between END ATTACKS and FORTIFY (I would add it between END FORTIFICATIONS and END TURNS, but that would require a special interrupt in the case of Adjacent and Chained fort. games).

FLAG MOVEMENT PHASE
You are allowed to move one flag under your control (yours or an enemies which you have captured). The chosen flag may be moved from its current territory to any adjacent territory (as per Adjacent Fortification rules for armies).

(You may move an enemy flag you have captured towards your own flag, or your own flag towards an enemy flag or away to safety.)

If, at the end of any given phase*, any two (or more) flags occupy the same territory, and that territory is owned by the owner of one of the flags, all flags in that territory not owned by the territory-owner or a member of his/her team are destroyed, and the players who own them are eliminated from the game -- their cards go to the victor, and their armies become neutral.

*: for now, it should check at the end of EVERY phase, but in the future when this is fine-tuned, the code can be made more efficient and only check at, say, the end of each attack/invasion and the end of the flag movement phase.

ADVANCING FLAG WITH ADVANCING ARMIES
It would make sense to carry your flag, your banner, at the front of the assembled hordes of your invading forces, as it inspires morale and puts you in more decisive control of the battle. Plus, it looks cool.

After conquering an enemy territory, you are asked how many armies you would like to advance. After pressing the advance button (and IF a flag is present in the territory you just attacked from), you should be asked:

Would you like to advance (your/the) Flag(s) from {attackingTerritory} to {conqueredTerritory}? YES / NO

If there happen to be more than one captured flags in the attacking territory, I guess they would all go with the advancing column. :| Or cause the game to crash? :shock: So maybe code some weavearounds to such an unlikely event (not a big deal, because captured enemy flags occupying the same territory you own as your own flag would go *poof* long before this).

Well, you see, it doesn't seem like all that much work. Lack? Andy? [-o<
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions