Off Topic Post Count

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Off Topic Post Count

Postby timmytuttut88 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:46 pm

Concise description:
  • Count Off Topics Post in the post count

Specifics/Details:
This would only be a separate post count on your wall/bellow your avatar on your forum posts.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
some people are such off topic freaks that it would be good to know you are talking to someone who has created lots of animation on the site's forums. They might have a very low on-topic post count and you might not realize their contribution.
also to get this done faster and fair...er im making some sort of petition thing:
Last edited by timmytuttut88 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Captain timmytuttut88

Re: WE WANT IK POSTS TO COUNT

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:50 pm

Consider the title of the forum for two seconds. Should those count as posts of intelligent discourse? I think not.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Fircoal on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:53 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Consider the title of the forum for two seconds. Should those count as posts of intelligent discourse? I think not.

Consider more then the title of a forum. A title is just what it is a name. The posts in it may be different. You'd have to be either blind or lying, if you say that the IK is only filled with spam. In fact it isn't even close to the glory days of the last April when there was spam everywhere.
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby timmytuttut88 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:54 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Consider the title of the forum for two seconds. Should those count as posts of intelligent discourse? I think not.

no one complained earlier when IK posts DID count, i dont see why we cant keep it to normal. Beside not all flames count as intelligent discourse either.
Captain timmytuttut88

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:58 pm

Post count is to reflect CC releated posts (I.E. in all other forums than the one forum we have not about CC).

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby timmytuttut88 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:00 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Post count is to reflect CC releated posts (I.E. in all other forums than the one forum we have not about CC).

--Andy

FW isnt about CC? And whats the big problem if it doesnt have to do with CC? Do you see this sort of thing in any other forum? I think not.
Captain timmytuttut88

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:03 am

By not attributing post count to Usergroups and Off Topics forums, it'll keep certain types of spam down.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Skittles! on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:04 am

And if it doesn't?
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby timmytuttut88 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:06 am

AndyDufresne wrote:By not attributing post count to Usergroups and Off Topics forums, it'll keep some spam down.

--Andy

i understand usergroups, but IK has never been a SPAMFEST as much as it used to be. IMO it seems a lot better. Beside what would be the problem with the

postscounting IK/usergroups:

posts not counting IK/usergroups:
Captain timmytuttut88

Postby Iliad on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:06 am

AndyDufresne wrote:By not attributing post count to Usergroups and Off Topics forums, it'll keep some spam down.

--Andy

By banning everyone who posts there will also keep spam down but you're not going to do it right?

The point is posts there should count because it's not going to help.
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby hecter on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:07 am

timmytuttut88 wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Post count is to reflect CC releated posts (I.E. in all other forums than the one forum we have not about CC).

--Andy

FW isnt about CC? And whats the big problem if it doesnt have to do with CC? Do you see this sort of thing in any other forum? I think not.

It's supposed to be, but I still don't think it shouldn't count if the others don't... It's just as bad, if not worse, for spam.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby treefiddy on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:44 am

AndyDufresne wrote:By not attributing post count to Usergroups and Off Topics forums, it'll keep certain types of spam down.

--Andy

I don't agree with this at all. There are people who care about their post count (not sure why). So if they don't get post count increase from IK, then they'll just start posting and spamming in the forums that do count. I do know that people who do that can be punished and such, but once everyone starts doing it, then it'll be too hard to keep up with punishing the offenders.

That and it would increase the amount of garbage posts in the CC areas. While it may not necessarily pertain to spam, it would increase the amount of stupid replies a thread gets. Things like "lol, I never thought of that." or "lol" or "you suck" or any other witty one liner that someone can post in several threads. There's already way too many replies when someone makes a post complaining about dice. Add all the people trying to increase their post count to the mix by all repeating each other over and over again.

Fun times are ahead, I assure you.
Sergeant 1st Class treefiddy

Postby rebelman on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:01 am

for consistency is there any way post counts can be retrospectively adjusted so people's post count can be adjusted downwards historically as well - if not the other option would be to reset all post counts to 0 again for consistency but id prefer the former
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby rebelman on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:06 am

flame wars is meant to about cc - its where you flame other players/mods etc. - any flaming not related to cc is banned (see forum guidelines) so it makes sense to leave that in.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby greenoaks on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:09 am

my posts in IK seem to count

Total posts:
328 | Show your posts
(2.41 posts per day / 0.03% of all posts)
Most active forum:
Intelleegent Konversation
(167 Posts / 50.91% of your posts)
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:17 am

Sign me up.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Joodoo on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:22 am

sign me up too!
IK posts are posts too!
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby rebelman on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:27 am

rebelman wrote:for consistency is there any way post counts can be retrospectively adjusted so people's post count can be adjusted downwards historically as well - if not the other option would be to reset all post counts to 0 again for consistency but id prefer the former

here is an example of why this should happen:

Most active forum:
General Discussion
(522 Posts / 12.77% of your posts)
Most active topic:
Stargate Mafia end game...french people are evil..
(137 Posts / 3.35% of your posts)

the above is from my profile and according to it my most active topic was a mafia game really if at all possible these should be adjusted to 0 for consisteny if there was any possible way this could be done
Private rebelman

Postby lord voldemort on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:00 am

it was mentioned that this would somehow reduce the level of spam.
this is wrong. people who only care about post counts ie the people who have posted in this thread and others. there posts will flood out into gd and fw just to raise their post counts.
it was fine before with the counts why change it?
its just gonna create more spam and clog other forum boards.

add my name to that petition
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby lozzini on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:58 am

i join the petition definatly, i never realised tehy didnt count
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby heavycola on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:39 am

First up, i don't really care about my post count. in fact, it embarrasses me somewhat. But there are plenty of people who hang around in IK or FW, it's ridiculous to limit their post count. They are part of the community, in fact apart from the mapmakers I woudl say they ARE this community.

or does this mean that spam in either forum is now OK? I am off to find out.
Corporal 1st Class heavycola

Postby lackattack on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:03 am

rebelman wrote:for consistency is there any way post counts can be retrospectively adjusted so people's post count can be adjusted downwards historically as well

We tried re-calcultaing the post counts after disbling them on IK but it didn't work. Seems you need to hack the forum code...
Sergeant lackattack

Postby heavycola on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:11 am

lackattack wrote:
rebelman wrote:for consistency is there any way post counts can be retrospectively adjusted so people's post count can be adjusted downwards historically as well

We tried re-calcultaing the post counts after disbling them on IK but it didn't work. Seems you need to hack the forum code...

Well i'll have a go, but it might take a while.

love
h34\/y[0l4
Corporal 1st Class heavycola

Postby Fircoal on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:28 am

rebelman wrote:for consistency is there any way post counts can be retrospectively adjusted so people's post count can be adjusted downwards historically as well - if not the other option would be to reset all post counts to 0 again for consistency but id prefer the former

Rebel both of those ideas aren't that good. They seem like good ways to anger even more people.
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Anarkistsdream on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:43 am

Don't say "we"

"we" is very deceptive.

I do not agree with you.
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions