Conquer Club

Off Topic Post Count

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Make Posts in CB Count Toward Post Count

Postby yeti_c on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:36 am

MrBenn wrote:Hmm... this has developed into a good suggestion:
Flame Wars Posts Not Included In Post Count

Agree with this Benny - Reckons you should starts another threads?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:03 am

yeti_c wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Hmm... this has developed into a good suggestion:
Flame Wars Posts Not Included In Post Count

Agree with this Benny - Reckons you should starts another threads?

C.

Done: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61407
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:11 am

Aw what? You guys took that the opposit direction we wanted....
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Dancing Mustard on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:17 pm

pimpdave wrote:Okay, I can see where that might matter, but why then would a place like Flame Wars count? I just noticed that my post count has gone up 1, after posting some drivel in FW.

Looking over that forum, there seem to be a few regulars, who prattle on and on, repeating themselves ad nauseum and posting drivel even worse than mine.

Might someone look at those users and think "Well, this chap posts an awful lot, he must have something valid to say, let me just read some of this here, doop de doop dee doo, OH MY! I'm wasting my life reading this, and it contributes nothing except an opportunity for a bunch of mental dwarfs to repeatedly extol their own brilliance!"

Or instead perhaps they might think "Well, this guy seems to post an awful lot, guess he missed that day in school when we all learned about brevity being the soul of wit. I think I'll skip this post and read something by someone who puts more thought into their writing."

Point being, the whole thing is arbitrary. Something demonstrating more active involvement in the issues doesn't necessarily demonstrate more constructive, or valuable involvement. Honestly, a high post count, unless attached to someone having been on the website for a sizable amount of time would, to me, demonstrate a desire to have a high post count. Not active involvement in the issues.

But that's just my opinion. I think too many people are preoccupied with measuring themselves against others, and of course that carries over into this website. Instead of being worried about post count (all due respect to those of a differing opinion) why don't we try to be worried about posting quality content?

In case anybody didn't notice, this post was spot on and deserved the online equivalent of a standing ovation.
Wayne wrote:Wow, with a voice like that Dancing Mustard must get all the babes!

Garth wrote:Yeah, I bet he's totally studly and buff.
Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby yeti_c on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:45 pm

Dancing Mustard wrote:
pimpdave wrote:Okay, I can see where that might matter, but why then would a place like Flame Wars count? I just noticed that my post count has gone up 1, after posting some drivel in FW.

Looking over that forum, there seem to be a few regulars, who prattle on and on, repeating themselves ad nauseum and posting drivel even worse than mine.

Might someone look at those users and think "Well, this chap posts an awful lot, he must have something valid to say, let me just read some of this here, doop de doop dee doo, OH MY! I'm wasting my life reading this, and it contributes nothing except an opportunity for a bunch of mental dwarfs to repeatedly extol their own brilliance!"

Or instead perhaps they might think "Well, this guy seems to post an awful lot, guess he missed that day in school when we all learned about brevity being the soul of wit. I think I'll skip this post and read something by someone who puts more thought into their writing."

Point being, the whole thing is arbitrary. Something demonstrating more active involvement in the issues doesn't necessarily demonstrate more constructive, or valuable involvement. Honestly, a high post count, unless attached to someone having been on the website for a sizable amount of time would, to me, demonstrate a desire to have a high post count. Not active involvement in the issues.

But that's just my opinion. I think too many people are preoccupied with measuring themselves against others, and of course that carries over into this website. Instead of being worried about post count (all due respect to those of a differing opinion) why don't we try to be worried about posting quality content?

In case anybody didn't notice, this post was spot on and deserved the online equivalent of a standing ovation.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Is that good enough?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Frop on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:00 pm

You're absolutely right, but I'm going to disregard it due to the fact you've only got 62 posts.
Captain Frop

Postby xxtig12683xx on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:10 pm

Snorri1234 wrote:I support this. I mean, ignoring the fact that people haven't actually stopped spamming, it's really silly to claim Chatter Box isn't an integral part of CC. It keeps people who are not concerned about dice/maps/payment/clans/more dice/rules/even more dice interrested.

Spammers don't really care about post-counts, they care about seeing their posts. I know I haven't held back since the change.

Well than if you don't care, then your not worried about the useless crap posted in CB. Yet you still support the desire for posts to count in CB. :roll:

-tig
"there is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy" NM, 1502
Lieutenant xxtig12683xx

Postby pimpdave on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:24 pm

Wow. Thanks for the kudos everyone. Wasn't expecting that, but am very grateful.
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby Snorri1234 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:15 pm

xxtig12683xx wrote:
Snorri1234 wrote:I support this. I mean, ignoring the fact that people haven't actually stopped spamming, it's really silly to claim Chatter Box isn't an integral part of CC. It keeps people who are not concerned about dice/maps/payment/clans/more dice/rules/even more dice interrested.

Spammers don't really care about post-counts, they care about seeing their posts. I know I haven't held back since the change.

Well than if you don't care, then your not worried about the useless crap posted in CB. Yet you still support the desire for posts to count in CB. :roll:

-tig

It's just that I think the rule was silly.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Yeah, I don't get this....CBers participate at least. How many members of CC don't ever bother to post? Why are we grouped with that lot?

Postby cicero on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:43 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Yeah, I don't get this....CBers participate at least. How many members of CC don't ever bother to post? Why are we grouped with that lot?

Because the posts CBers make have nothing to do with CC. The sum total of the contribution to Conquer Club related discussion is zero. Just like the members who never post.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:57 pm

cicero wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:Yeah, I don't get this....CBers participate at least. How many members of CC don't ever bother to post? Why are we grouped with that lot?

Because the posts CBers make have nothing to do with CC. The sum total of the contribution to Conquer Club related discussion is zero. Just like the members who never post.

Then why do we bother to have it? I could just as easily have those conversations somewhere else. On another site.

It's not all entirely off-topic btw. I've made some good CC friendships through the CB. It's as good for that as anything else.

Postby Thezzaruz on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:43 pm

cicero wrote:Because the posts CBers make have nothing to do with CC. The sum total of the contribution to Conquer Club related discussion is zero. Just like the members who never post.

And posts in FW adds just what to CC??? How can a random insult/spam/whine be more important/contribute more to CC than its users staying at CC making/meeting friends when not taking turns???
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby cicero on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:38 am

Thezzaruz wrote:
cicero wrote:Because the posts CBers make have nothing to do with CC. The sum total of the contribution to Conquer Club related discussion is zero. Just like the members who never post.

And posts in FW adds just what to CC??? How can a random insult/spam/whine be more important/contribute more to CC than its users staying at CC making/meeting friends when not taking turns???
I agree Thezzaruz. FW seems equally pointless to me, but I was simply pointing out what I believe to be the rationale behind the current distinction. FW - by it's definition in the Forum index - is supposed to be a place to "trash your opponents" and so is supposed to be Conquer Club related. However since it is frequently not vaguely CC related I believe it can instead be argued that FW is simply a forum for abuse which - as has already been noted - is not tolerated here at CC.

Ultimately, as far as the "do count" v "don't count" suggestions are concerned whether it be regarding Flame Wars or Off Topic/Chatter Box/The (Not Yet) Banned I personally really don't see how counting posts can be of any importance whatsoever. Whatever a person's motivation for posting is surely they don't need the support of the post being counted to help them to decide whether to post or not? I know plenty of others feel otherwise, indeed spammers feel that the post count is the reason for posting, but as I say I personally can't get my head round that so - apart from moderating - I'm not going to participate in either thread further.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby Snorri1234 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:40 pm

+1 post for really CC-related stuff!
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby hecter on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:53 pm

cicero wrote:
Thezzaruz wrote:

I agree Thezzaruz. FW seems equally pointless to me, but I was simply pointing out what I believe to be the rationale behind the current distinction. FW - by it's definition in the Forum index - is supposed to be a place to "trash your opponents" and so is supposed to be Conquer Club related. However since it is frequently not vaguely CC related I believe it can instead be argued that FW is simply a forum for abuse which - as has already been noted - is not tolerated here at CC.

Ultimately, as far as the "do count" v "don't count" suggestions are concerned whether it be regarding Flame Wars or Off Topic/Chatter Box/The (Not Yet) Banned I personally really don't see how counting posts can be of any importance whatsoever. Whatever a person's motivation for posting is surely they don't need the support of the post being counted to help them to decide whether to post or not? I know plenty of others feel otherwise, indeed spammers feel that the post count is the reason for posting, but as I say I personally can't get my head round that so - apart from moderating - I'm not going to participate in either thread further.

It has to do with respect... It's like saying "Your posts don't count therefore you and your opinions don't count or matter."
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby barterer2002 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:17 pm

cicero wrote:

It depends what you consider CC to be though doesn't it. If you look at CC merely as maps and games then you're right. On the other hand if you consider CC to be a community of people who gather on line then of course it has something to do with CC.

For the record I don't think I've ever posted in Chatterbox but to say that it isn't Conquer Club related relies on a narrow idea of what CC is.
Major barterer2002

Postby Thezzaruz on Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:30 pm

cicero wrote:I was simply pointing out what I believe to be the rationale behind the current distinction.

Well yea that it is. I still object to it though (whomever it is posted by. 8-)

cicero wrote:I personally really don't see how counting posts can be of any importance whatsoever.

Completely agree. Post count is of no interest to me but I still find the principle stupid.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby squishyg on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:35 pm

I just started joined a couple user groups and a clan and I 'm surprised to see that my posts don't count in those forums, so I'm bumping this thread to renew the conversation. If user groups and clans are some of cc's more desirable qualities, why aren't our posts in there counted? And yes, I think bumpage/chatterbox/turtle soup/tea party HQ/monkey business should count too.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Can someone please explain to me WTF "post count" has got to do with anything. Maybe I am missing something here. But, it sure seems like a useless thing to compete for.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby edwinissweet on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:34 pm

in the days of ole post count meant something in the forums
Lieutenant edwinissweet

Postby Evil Semp on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:08 pm

squishyg wrote:I just started joined a couple user groups and a clan and I 'm surprised to see that my posts don't count in those forums, so I'm bumping this thread to renew the conversation. If user groups and clans are some of cc's more desirable qualities, why aren't our posts in there counted? And yes, I think bumpage/chatterbox/turtle soup/tea party HQ/monkey business should count too.

Do people who like post counts like to hear themselves talk also?
Sergeant 1st Class Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Evil Semp wrote:
squishyg wrote:I just started joined a couple user groups and a clan and I 'm surprised to see that my posts don't count in those forums, so I'm bumping this thread to renew the conversation. If user groups and clans are some of cc's more desirable qualities, why aren't our posts in there counted? And yes, I think bumpage/chatterbox/turtle soup/tea party HQ/monkey business should count too.

:lol: =D> I was thinking the same thing.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby pmchugh on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Evil Semp wrote:

Pfft shut it with your measley 2000 odd posts, noob :P
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Timminz on Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:20 pm

I'm only posting here, so I can see what my post count is.

edit- wow! that's too many.
Captain Timminz

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions