Conquer Club

Double Turns and Freestyle Turn Holding

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby mitchmitch11 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Yes I never thought of that but it would make the game overall more fair. Or just not give back the extra armies for missing their turn.
Corporal mitchmitch11

Eliminate Freestyle Double Turns

Postby treefiddy on Thu May 08, 2008 5:50 pm

Concise description: Adjust Freestyle in such a way that if someone is active in their turn when the round timer ends; they must still wait half the round or until someone else starts their turn to start their turn. If all players are active when the round expires, then anyone may go at the start of the new round.

Specifics: If Player 1 is playing against Player 2. Player 1 starts and ends their turn. Player 2 can then start their turn, and let the round time out. Because Player 2 did not end their turn, and the round timeout triggered the new turn, Player 2 can immediately take their turn again. If done correctly, Player 2 basically gives up a card (or nothing in No Cards games) to get two turns in a row.

This will improve the following aspects of the site: Will eliminate Double Turns from Freestyle while still allowing people to play faster paced games where they can take their turns at the same time as their opponents and/or teammates. In my opinion, putting everyone on a level playing field and allowing the best player to win without any cheap advantages.

This is basically a more formal request from some discussion that has taken place in the cheating forum in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50587
Sergeant 1st Class treefiddy

Re: Eliminate Freestyle Double Turns

Postby Thezzaruz on Thu May 08, 2008 6:22 pm

I strongly support this. Seems quite clear that taking back-to-back turns is meant to be prohibited but this is a loophole to get around that restriction, close it please.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby cramill on Thu May 08, 2008 8:10 pm

I support this as well. See the link to the other thread at the end of treefiddy's post to see my arguments.
Corporal 1st Class cramill

Postby poo-maker on Thu May 08, 2008 8:28 pm

God damnit, what is it with people trying to change things that others like. First classic, now freestyle...
Brigadier poo-maker

Postby bbqpenguin on Thu May 08, 2008 8:59 pm

i strongly oppose this. double turns is just basic part of freestyle strategy. stopping this is akin to prohibiting teamates form taking turns at the same time, blocking, hedging, or any other basic strategy usable in any game. double turns simply takes advantage of the rules of a certain gametype; something which you should always do. if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. if you play freestyle regularly (which i don't), then you need to be prepared to take double turns, it helps you win. if you are unable to or don't like this strategy, then don't play freestyle.
Sergeant 1st Class bbqpenguin

Postby cramill on Thu May 08, 2008 10:06 pm

bbqpenguin wrote:i strongly oppose this. double turns is just basic part of freestyle strategy. stopping this is akin to prohibiting teamates form taking turns at the same time, blocking, hedging, or any other basic strategy usable in any game. double turns simply takes advantage of the rules of a certain gametype; something which you should always do. if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. if you play freestyle regularly (which i don't), then you need to be prepared to take double turns, it helps you win. if you are unable to or don't like this strategy, then don't play freestyle.

I don't think you understand the argument. This should not be a legal tactic. Everything else that falls within the rules is fine. I don't think anyone will complain about teammates taking their turns at the same time unless they are complete idiots.

I'll quote this here for anyone who is too lazy to read the linked thread:
Page of Instructions wrote:In a freestyle game it doesn't matter in which order players take their turns. Players can even play simultaneously! After the last player takes his turn, a new round begins immediately. The player who triggers a new round is blocked from taking a second back-to-back turn and must wait until either an opponent begins their turn or half of the round passes.

This says that the last person to go in the round is blocked from taking a second back-to-back turn. Now, don't say that because you don't end your turn that doesn't trigger the new round, so you can start another turn right away. Thats the loophole that we want to get rid of. You chose to go last so you shouldn't be able to go first in the next round.

Postby treefiddy on Fri May 09, 2008 1:18 am

We can go back and forth on what we think is correct and what we don't. I view it as an exploit of sorts; and based on the response it was given by Fireside Poet in the Abuse forum lead me to believe that he couldn't identify if it getting a double turn like that was abuse or by design.

We should probably just wait for Lack or someone else in charge to determine if it's by design or not.

Postby yeti_c on Fri May 09, 2008 4:19 am

Double turns due to running out of time is a tactic that should be disallowed from the rules - claiming that it's a tactic is a load of shit and all of you :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: know it... very shocked at Poo Maker for his comments - I thought that you were better than that.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby poo-maker on Fri May 09, 2008 4:28 am

yeti_c wrote:Double turns due to running out of time is a tactic that should be disallowed from the rules - claiming that it's a tactic is a load of shit and all of you :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: know it... very shocked at Poo Maker for his comments - I thought that you were better than that.

C.

Yeti, the double turns in freestyle are what helps to make freestyle so much fun. Anyone and everyone can do it, so I don't see anything unfair about it.
Brigadier poo-maker

Postby yeti_c on Fri May 09, 2008 4:36 am

poo-maker wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Double turns due to running out of time is a tactic that should be disallowed from the rules - claiming that it's a tactic is a load of shit and all of you :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: know it... very shocked at Poo Maker for his comments - I thought that you were better than that.

C.

Yeti, the double turns in freestyle are what helps to make freestyle so much fun. Anyone and everyone can do it, so I don't see anything unfair about it.

Exactly a reason why I don't play Freestyle... it doesn't make it fun for the people that don't use the loopholes... it just makes it a guaranteed way to lose.

C.

PS - congrats on Conqueror again.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Scott-Land on Fri May 09, 2008 4:43 am

poo-maker wrote:God damnit, what is it with people trying to change things that others like. First classic, now freestyle...

hehee.... are they talking about casual games or speed freestyle? i wouldn't mind that being a game type- it would be pretty interesting in speed games. can you imagine missing a card at the last second and then be a sitting duck for the next 2.5 minutes? think it would also make players more aware of their card count. downfall to this is that if you miss a turn entirely then what- same 2.5 minute penalty?
Major Scott-Land

Postby Thezzaruz on Fri May 09, 2008 4:58 am

bbqpenguin wrote:double turns is just basic part of freestyle strategy.

If that would be true then there wouldn't be any need for the "no back-to-back turns" rule that is set now would there???
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby poo-maker on Fri May 09, 2008 8:41 am

yeti_c wrote:
poo-maker wrote:

C.

Exactly a reason why I don't play Freestyle... it doesn't make it fun for the people that don't use the loopholes... it just makes it a guaranteed way to lose.

C.

PS - congrats on Conqueror again.

Fair enough... though, because of the loopholes, there are more tactics that you can use.

Ty btw.

Scott- i think they're talking about freestyle in general.... casual and speed
Brigadier poo-maker

Postby poo-maker on Fri May 09, 2008 8:45 am

Btw, I have just read over the original suggestion again. Tbh, it wouldn't actually change speed freestyle that much... I mean, most of the best players can start 2 or 3 seconds after the round starts. Those using clicky maps can also start a fraction of a second after the round starts or a fraction of a second after the first person triggers their turn. There wouldn't be time to break them....
Brigadier poo-maker

Postby yeti_c on Fri May 09, 2008 9:56 am

poo-maker wrote:Btw, I have just read over the original suggestion again. Tbh, it wouldn't actually change speed freestyle that much... I mean, most of the best players can start 2 or 3 seconds after the round starts. Those using clicky maps can also start a fraction of a second after the round starts or a fraction of a second after the first person triggers their turn. There wouldn't be time to break them....

Yes - but it would stop them from starting the turn though... therefore the next player could wait for a few hours if they wanted - and it's their decision - not the 'cheaters'...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Thezzaruz on Fri May 09, 2008 10:24 am

poo-maker wrote:though, because of the loopholes, there are more tactics that you can use.

Not really though. This loophole brings a quite dominant strategy and hence it would reduce the amount of usable strategies atm.

poo-maker wrote:Those using clicky maps can also start a fraction of a second after the round starts or a fraction of a second after the first person triggers their turn. There wouldn't be time to break them....

Yea this isn't meant to change that, just stop people from taking 2 turns without giving someone else the chance to respond.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby poo-maker on Fri May 09, 2008 11:34 am

Thezzaruz wrote:
poo-maker wrote:though, because of the loopholes, there are more tactics that you can use.

Not really though. This loophole brings a quite dominant strategy and hence it would reduce the amount of usable strategies atm.

I don't think its that dominant. If you're playing esc or flate rate, you have to make a sacrifice by skipping a card for this to work. Though, i agree that it is a v.dominant strategy in no cards. (due to bonuses being so important)

Do you guys have any ideas in mind as to what you would like a new rule to be? We definitely don't want a rule change that resembles anything like the old system where players would play at the last minutes. Leaving only a couple of minutes for their opponent to play in that round.
Brigadier poo-maker

Postby treefiddy on Fri May 09, 2008 11:42 am

poo-maker wrote:Do you guys have any ideas in mind as to what you would like a new rule to be? We definitely don't want a rule change that resembles anything like the old system where players would play at the last minutes. Leaving only a couple of minutes for their opponent to play in that round.

I like the way I described it. If any player is active (yellow arrow next to name) when the round ends; it locks them out the same way it would if they were the ones to trigger the new round.

Postby Thezzaruz on Fri May 09, 2008 11:47 am

poo-maker wrote:Do you guys have any ideas in mind as to what you would like a new rule to be? We definitely don't want a rule change that resembles anything like the old system where players would play at the last minutes. Leaving only a couple of minutes for their opponent to play in that round.

As I see it it should work as it does now but with players being active when the clock runs out being counted the same as if they had activated the new turn. It won't be that big a difference but it should stop any blatant abuse of the "no back-to-back" rule.

Edit: That's what I get for having a smoke mid-post, pre-empted. :D
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby poo-maker on Fri May 09, 2008 11:50 am

treefiddy wrote:

I like the way I described it. If any player is active (yellow arrow next to name) when the round ends; it locks them out the same way it would if they were the ones to trigger the new round.

Ah, ok... I don't mind this rule that much, but if i could decide, I wouldn't change it. It's a part of freestyle that I like. Though, I understand why people would like this to be implemented. It would make the game fairer.
Brigadier poo-maker

Postby bbqpenguin on Fri May 09, 2008 3:50 pm

i would like to change my opinion, at least somewhat. i admit i didn't read the op well enough to fully understand it. i fully oppose using "running out of time" as a tactic and i agree that this is an exploitable loop hole. however, double turns taken via the lest person to take a turn on round x starting his next turn 2 seconds after another player starts on turn y should still be allowed
Sergeant 1st Class bbqpenguin

Postby cramill on Fri May 09, 2008 5:11 pm

bbqpenguin wrote:i would like to change my opinion, at least somewhat. i admit i didn't read the op well enough to fully understand it. i fully oppose using "running out of time" as a tactic and i agree that this is an exploitable loop hole. however, double turns taken via the lest person to take a turn on round x starting his next turn 2 seconds after another player starts on turn y should still be allowed

Yes, nothing about starting your turn right after someone needs to be changed.

Postby cramill on Mon May 12, 2008 1:39 pm

Looks like theres been more discussion in the 'cheating' thread linked in the first post of this thread. Do we have any comments by the mods? Is this being discussed between the mods? Because, the other thread still says [Pending].

Postby Velvecarrots on Mon May 12, 2008 4:56 pm

I like the idea, but I have a question:

Dubs freestyle speed game no cards Classic 4 players. Elite players know that in these games running out of time is the best strategy. What happens when all 4 players run out of time, like in Game 2111453 for example? Do they all get locked out and miss a turn?

This probably also happens in 2 player speed no card games, but I'm too lazy to confirm it. :lol:
This game was once fun, but the necessity to log in every day finally took its toll on me.

Best Score: 4660 (11/20/10)
Best Rank: 1 (8/2/13)
General Velvecarrots

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions