Conquer Club

Manual Territory Selection for Private Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Manual Territory Selection for Private Games

Postby Master Bush on Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:29 pm

Why don't we have an option to make the start of the game, like how it's play live, where each person picks a country turn by turn, untill all countries are picked, then place your remaining men where you want, on the countries you own.

I think this should be allowed in password games, where you're getting together to play a real time game with friends.

[MOD EDIT: For more manual territory selection suggestions, see here]
Last edited by agentcom on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: title edited for clarity; OP edited
Sergeant 1st Class Master Bush

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:16 pm

Specific initial starting placement has been suggested before. As of right now lack is looking into many suggestions, and sometime (hopefully soon) we will see what might have a chance at implementation.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby AK_iceman on Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:22 pm

they have an option in risk 2 for pc, where you can bid for the countries you start with. it adds a whole new layer to the game.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:29 pm

I still favor random placement... I enjoy battling to get a continent...not nearly starting with one.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:14 pm

i hate the bidding in risk 2. It takes so long even if ur playing with just computers.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby wicked on Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:15 pm

damn that would be tedious
Major wicked

Choosing territories

Postby Hiiiaiiei on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:17 pm

<Subject>:
Each player should be able to choose their territories

<Body>:

Suggestion Idea: The players could place their territories where they please rather than random (if playing with a neutral the neutral would have to be random)

Specifics: At the beginning of the game (mainly a planned password type game with people u know joining and while everyone is on at same time) each player would get five minutes to put down one army on one territory. This could be done either in a cycle such as sequential or freestyle. If the person is unable to choose in the designated amount of time, their territory will be placed randomly for that one turn. Then if the player is there the next turn he could get to choose next time.

Why it is needed: This would add a more strategic style to all gametypes. And i believe it would be more fun too

Priority** (1-5): 3

**Note**
1 = Bottom of 'To Do' list
5 = Urgent, implement with next update
Major Hiiiaiiei

Postby Spritzking on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:42 pm

i think it will give a lot of problems with people that dont show up etc. and according to me it is already on the to-do list but i'm not sure
Major Spritzking

Re: Manual Territory Selection for Private Games

Postby Vlasov on Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:47 am

I think it's a great idea -- especially for setting up "historical" games, what with all the great history-based maps on CC. However it could ONLY work with PRIVATE games where each player commits to taking their turns promptly and following the meta-rules, which would be:

1) Whoever creates the game should know (or learn) the historical map/scenario, and choose only options appropriate to the time period and scale of the map (e.g. no paratroops pre-WWII; no nukes pre-1945; only trench warfare prior to WWII; etc... and of course, no zombies!).
2) If you join the game, you must study the historical map/scenario and/or get advice from fellow players while setting up.
3) You must choose territories as close as possible to the actual military situation at the start of the map/scenario.
4) At the "allocation of armies" stage, you must do the same as #3.
5) Of course, the number of territories owned by each player is equalized in CC games. This could be remedied by not fortifying any that don't match the actual history, and having a preliminary series of turns where everyone cooperates to conquer/reinforce territories in order to "make the map match the history".
6) During gameplay, each player should try to (more or less) mimic the actual historical actions of the leaders of their faction or nation or empire... e.g. Nazi Germany would be aggressive; neutral nations would remain passive unless attacked; etc.

This option would be enhanced by using teams -- for example: in a WWII Europe game, Germany/Italy would be one team and Britain/France would be one team... and maybe USSR could team with Spain, with Spain remaining neutral and giving all their new armies to USSR.

I think this would be a good way to play with "alternate history" scenarios effectively.... or to create present-day scenarios. Imagine a modern "Classic" or "World 2.1" map with players for the following nations or power blocs, matched as closely as possible to current geopolitics:
European Union, USA, Brazil, Russia, India, China (those last 4 are called "BRIC" in the news), Islam (caliphate?), British commonwealth; Latin America; African Union; etc.

Or imagine a USA map set in 1861 with territories controlled by these factions: USA, the Confederacy, Mexico, Texas (?), Canada, and native Amerindians. Or the Civil War map with the territories and armies matched to history.

Sorry for letting my imagination run wild...
Major Vlasov

Re:

Postby stahrgazer on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:09 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I still favor random placement... I enjoy battling to get a continent...not nearly starting with one.

--Andy

That happens with random placement, probably much moreso than it would happen if players had to alternate picking a region.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:25 am

Wait, you mean an option to make this game more like Risk instead of less? Never gonna happen.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby JamesKer1 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:14 pm

7 year bump...

At least we know that it was searched for.
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Return to Suggestions