Conquer Club

[Suggestion] Collapsing Team Games? (new game option)

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Implement Collapsing Team Game Option?

YES! (with some tweaking -- post below)
73%
NO! (with reasons why -- post below)
13%
MAYBE? (only in games with TWO teams -- post below)
13%

Total votes : 15

[Suggestion] Collapsing Team Games? (new game option)

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:12 pm

I don't remember what the final verdict was, if there is one.

The Idea:
Collapsing Team Games
A fun, new way to play team games.

The Premise:
When one team is eliminated, the other(s) dissolve!
Help your team win this war, but prepare your forces for the next war....against your former allies! Much like how WWII transitioned into the Cold War....

The Implementation:
A two-stage game

Stage I
The game begins as a normal team game -- doubles or triples -- and plays like a normal team game until one of the teams has been eliminated.

Stage II
When one team has been completely eliminated, the remaining teams dissolve. The game essentially transforms into a Standard Game (Assassin? Terminator?) with the concept of teams going out the window and every player playing for themselves. Dog eat dog.

Scoring
This is the rough spot many of you think will make this type of game unplayable. But I say nay! Obviously, the players eliminated during normal Team play suffer point losses normally, and the members of the surviving teams all gain the appropriate numbers of points as if they'd won a normal team game. Then, when the teams collapse, each eliminated player looses points.

For example, say you're on the surviving team in a Collapsing Triples game, but then you get eliminated by one of your former team-mates after the teams dissolve. You would first gain points for being part of a winning team, then you would loose points for being eliminated in standard play.

Generally speaking, the point payoffs would be as follows:

Members of an eliminated team before the collapse will loose points normally.

Members of a "winning" team who are then eliminated after team dissolution by their former team-mates will generally gain and loose the same number of points, for a net gain somewhere around ZERO.

The player who eliminates all of the other players stands to gain a substantial number of points -- essentially twice, as they gain from winning a team game, then a standard game.

Basically, the ultimate top dog of a Collapsing Teams game would get double points. This type of game may be very tempting for many players, as it is sort of a "double-or-nothing" proposition.:twisted:

We have to figure out a way to keep people who are eliminated from a winning team before the collapse from gaining more points than team-mates who are eliminated after the collapse.... :-k
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby yorkiepeter on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Don't think I would be keen on fortifying my teammates if i knew they were gonna become my enemy. Wouldn't even finish off the opposition and waste armies that would be useful after the team has been disolved. No I would skulk in a corner an wait.......
Colonel yorkiepeter

Postby max is gr8 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:30 pm

Good Idea but need an incentive for helping teamates
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:39 pm

yorkiepeter wrote:Don't think I would be keen on fortifying my teammates if i knew they were gonna become my enemy. Wouldn't even finish off the opposition and waste armies that would be useful after the team has been disolved. No I would skulk in a corner an wait.......

^^^^That's exactly the kind of game I want. It would be edgy, political, dangerous. It would keep weak teams from being eliminated a little longer while the superpowers fortify their mutual borders.
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby firth4eva on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:41 pm

edit
Last edited by firth4eva on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain firth4eva

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:29 pm

firth4eva wrote:
max is gr8 wrote:Good Idea but need an incentive for helping teamates
what max said

The incentive is to WIN the first phase so you get a chance to WIN the second phase (or, at the very least, hopefully break even). You can't get points until the game is over. Plus, they are your teammates until another team is eliminated; but, you don't have to fortify them if you don't want to. In fact, this will create a new type of team-play in which team mates won't fortify their friends, which will in turn make the game take longer, which is fun. Helping your team win would mean taking care of your own backyard, not handing armies over to them.
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby Soloman on Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:17 pm

great idea
You Have 2 choices,You can either Agree With Me or Be Wrong!!! http://www.myspace.com/solomanthewise http://360.yahoo.com/bolar35
Sergeant Soloman

Re: [Suggestion] Collapsing Team Games? (new game option)

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:00 pm

I think this is one of the more fun dramatic gameplay switches that we have thought of on this site.

To keep it truly edgy though, there should be a random chance for dissolution.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby hotfire on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:17 pm

this should work by starting quads moving to triples with 6 left and ending in doubles with 2 winners...makesway more sense
Colonel hotfire

Postby osujacket on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Great idea... would like to see the second half of games with 10 points instead of 20 per player. This would allow a small win for all of teammates
Captain osujacket

Postby agentcom on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:09 am

Never came across this one before. Cool idea.

My tweaks would be as follows:

Starts as a standard 2-team game (any size). The game does not reorganize (team does not collapse) automatically when the next even number is reached (contrary to hotfire's post above). Instead, the teammates have to jockey for position within their own team in preparation for the inevitable collapse. This may lead to them not killing the other team right away or even fighting amongst themselves from the beginning. The only thing loosely holding them together is that they cannot win if all of them are eliminated first. In that sense it's kind of more of a variation on a standard game, than it is a variation on a team game. It's kind of like there's a presumptive or implied alliance at the beginning of a standard game.

Another tweak I would make is that all chat is public. Haven't thought this all the way out, but it's at least something to think about.

As for the scoring, I agree with the OP. Distribute points first according to the mini-game. The winning team collects the losing team's points as usual. But then I would say that you would distribute the points as if the the game started over at that point and it was now a n/2 standard game.

Actually, now that I think about that, it really wouldn't be that much different from just standard winner-takes-all scoring. There might be some slight differences based on the disparity between the ranks between the teams, but the overall effect would be similar to standard games.

So, a more interesting way to score it that would further encourage the team to play as a team (and set this squarely in the middle of team and individual games) would be to divided up the points among the winning team as usual upon completion of the mini-game. Then maybe half (or whatever ratio/point system you want to apply) of those points go into a pot for the winner.
Colonel agentcom

Return to Archived Suggestions