Conquer Club

[Forum] Remove YouTube Support in Signature

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[Forum] Remove YouTube Support in Signature

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53 am

Concise description:
  • Right now there is a guideline on acceptable signature sizes.
  • When you edit your signature, there is YouTube BBCode support.
  • If you use this code, the resulting youtube image is larger than the acceptable sizes

Specifics/Details:
  • Either YouTube support should be dropped from signature editing OR
  • The image that comes up should be resized to fit within the guidelines OR
  • The guidelines should be modified to include a YouTube support exemption.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Right now, the rules are practically begging to be broken.
  • People who disable signatures will miss out on EVEN MORE, meaning they will keep sigs turned on.
  • People with sucky art skills can still have cool, dynamic sigs.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Re: Signature YouTube Support should make sense

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:02 pm

I think that YouTube videos in signatures is a terrible idea. It is indeed begging for abuse. I don't know that it would be easy to disable for just signatures, though.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:08 pm

The Forum Admin Control Panel (I.E. phpBB's settings we can play around with) has some limitations. Since youtube is a custom bbcode, it doesn't come with certain limitation controls that are available in the Signature Settings for built in phpbb bbcodes. You can see what controls we can set when you go to edit your signature:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

In the end, this is a pretty minor to non-existent issue, and the time spent on it I think I'd rather see toward other "rule" items that have larger impact.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby agentcom on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:31 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The Forum Admin Control Panel (I.E. phpBB's settings we can play around with) has some limitations. Since youtube is a custom bbcode, it doesn't come with certain limitation controls that are available in the Signature Settings for built in phpbb bbcodes. You can see what controls we can set when you go to edit your signature:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

In the end, this is a pretty minor to non-existent issue, and the time spent on it I think I'd rather see toward other "rule" items that have larger impact.

--Andy

+1

The way I've seen it play out is that if a user puts a youtube clip in their sig, they're pretty quickly told to remove it. Users usually comply pretty quickly or get a warning from the C&A team. So, it doesn't seem to be worth the time to code a technical solution when the non-technical solution works adequately.
Colonel agentcom

Postby LeonBlurry on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:37 am

If everybody starts using YouTube videos in their signatures then people won't care to play everybody's signature video because they won't be knowing how interesting the information may be in the signature. However, images and quotes describes the information in just a matter of seconds.
New Recruit LeonBlurry

Postby agentcom on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:45 am

LeonBlurry wrote:If everybody starts using YouTube videos in their signatures then people won't care to play everybody's signature video because they won't be knowing how interesting the information may be in the signature. However, images and quotes describes the information in just a matter of seconds.

I think the practical effects of having to load 15 youtube clips (or 30 ... why limit it to 1 per sig) is enough of an argument that we don't have to really on more abstract topics like aesthetic or information density.
Colonel agentcom

Return to Suggestions