40%
No
30%
Have an option to
30%

Total votes : 10

Random Turn Order (Fixed)

Postby SJL on Thu May 08, 2008 10:31 pm

Randomise the turn order, not have it as the order people joined the game.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • It would help reduce the impact of any secret alliances.
  • It would add a new element of randomness. For those of you who don't like the randomness, if you actually think about it (or do the math), the more random events that occur in a game, the more likey the net 'randomness' will be zero = ie less randomness and more skill based.

Just a thought.

MOD EDIT:
SEE ALSO
: The related suggestion in which the turn order changes each round; Random Turn Order (Variable)
Last edited by spiesr on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to similar suggestion.
Sergeant 1st Class SJL

Re: Randomisation of turn order

Postby westsidekilla6 on Thu May 08, 2008 10:38 pm

lmao dude the turn order is already randomized
highest score!
483 westsidekilla6 2080 666 138 (21%) Major 20-6 United States
Cook westsidekilla6

Postby lancehoch on Thu May 08, 2008 10:45 pm

I believe he means that the strict order of red is the first player who signed up, then green, blue, yellow... would not dictate the turn rotation. Either, your color would be randomized on game initialization or a randomly generated permutation of the colors would be used for turn order.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby Thezzaruz on Fri May 09, 2008 4:54 am

Not a bad idea IMO. Rather have it randomize turn order than what colour you are though. 8-)
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri May 09, 2008 7:45 am

I don't like it.
I don't really think it will solve any problem. If it did, you are using a sledge hammer to catch a fly ...
A lot of attack strategy depends on who will go first.

Secret alliances are already against the rules. If you suspect such, report it.

If you think this is a problem, play freestyle.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Herakilla on Fri May 09, 2008 12:56 pm

the turn order is already randomized....
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Thezzaruz on Fri May 09, 2008 2:17 pm

Herakilla wrote:the turn order is already randomized....

Read it again, it isn't.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby dustn64 on Fri May 09, 2008 5:12 pm

I don't think that it would solve any problems, but it might be fun to play.
Sergeant 1st Class dustn64

Postby Thezzaruz on Fri May 09, 2008 5:56 pm

I agree, I don't see there being any problem atm (and hence would be a low priority on the to-do list) but I still think that this would be an improvement over how it's done today.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby Herakilla on Fri May 09, 2008 11:02 pm

ah i see what you mean, but that would complicate things since you wouldnt be able to tell who is next. its nice and simple as it is and i like that
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby lancehoch on Sat May 10, 2008 12:00 am

I think the general idea would be that the order is randomized, and then is set. It is true that you may be unable to determine who goes next for the first round, but after that you can simply check the game log. However, this is why I made the comment at the top, whereby the colors stay in their same slots, but the order you sign up in does not determine your color. This could achieve the randomization that is suggested is achieved, but you will still be able to tell who goes next no matter what.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby Timminz on Sat May 10, 2008 1:57 am

SJL wrote:[*]It would help reduce the impact of any secret alliances.

That's true. WHen a multi or secret alliance join a game, they'll usually do it in sequential games, and one right after the other. Abviously this gives the second to join an advantage, since they can have the other player "set them up" right before their turn. With the randomization of turn order (once, at the start of the game)you could take away that part of the advantage that they gain when cheating. I think this is a great idea. It would cause no conflict (except to people who prefer certain colours, I guess), and take a distinct advantage away from the cheaters.
Captain Timminz

Random Turn Order Option

Postby nray on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:21 pm

I can't imagine this hasn't been suggested before, but I searched for it for like 15 minutes and couldn't find it... So, here we go:

Concise description:
  • A third turn order option: Random.

Specifics:
  • This option would randomize the turn order after everyone joins the game. Turn order would then be set to that order and consistent throughout the game.
  • This could be done lots of ways, but I bet the easiest would just be to randomly assign positions in the already-existing turn list, so the game-creator is not always red/top of the list, first to join is not always green/second. But don't set them until everyone has joined.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • I play a lot of private games with friends. We play 5-mans and 8-mans. However, I create most of the games ('cause I'm the one most interested), and I have one friend who is always around and joins instantly, another friend who almost always joins after 10 minutes or so, and a few other friends who join randomly throughout the day, then a couple friends who don't join 'til after work (5pm) then a couple who work late (9pm)... As a result, we basically end up with the same turn order every time. Sure, a random person starts, but the same person always goes after me, and the same person always goes after him. In order to avoid this, we'd have to actively choose to wait until other people join, then it just gets annoying 'cause we're not always available at the same time of day. This would allow you to say "I don't care what order we join, randomize the list." Which would be more fun for people who play private games with friends but do not want to choose a turn order.
Corporal 1st Class nray

Re: Random Turn Order Option

Postby riodeishere on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:27 pm