Conquer Club

[Rules] Limit Number of Missed Turns in a Given Timeframe

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[Rules] Limit Number of Missed Turns in a Given Timeframe

Postby jesusfreak16 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:13 pm

Updated version

Could we have rule where a player gets kicked after he misses a certain total number of turns(5, 7 ,etc...) within a certain period of time? (month, week, per 10 rounds, etc) This will keep players from intentionally missing 2 turns and then taking the third for a whole game to take advantage of the deferred troops procedure.

Original version

I saw a thread in C&A about this just before I posted. http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98617
Could we have rule where a player gets kicked after he misses a certain total number of turns? (5, 7 ,etc...)
This will keep players from intentionally missing 2 turns for a whole game to take advantage of the deferred troops procedure.
Thnx for your time. :) (if I didn't waste it) :P
Last edited by jesusfreak16 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain jesusfreak16

Re: Total number of missed turns

Postby haggispittjr on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:31 pm

seems like a fine idea, although i dont realy encounter this problem much.
Lieutenant haggispittjr

Postby angola on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:14 am

I really like this idea.

A guy in Game 5217758 missed 14 turns before he finally got booted for missing three in a row.

It drove me nuts.
Lieutenant angola

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:18 am

This works OK till you get a long game that last a year or so. Then what? You miss 7 turns in 365 days and poof be gone? Seems backwards to me. Maybe have it at 7 turns in 30 days which is roughly a month.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby jesusfreak16 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:40 am

Yeah, that would be a great idea. I'm not very good at making great ideas, so I just throw them out there and let you guys improve them 8-)
Captain jesusfreak16

Postby trinicardinal on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:46 am

Bruceswar wrote:This works OK till you get a long game that last a year or so. Then what? You miss 7 turns in 365 days and poof be gone? Seems backwards to me. Maybe have it at 7 turns in 30 days which is roughly a month.

I like it. Makes a lot of sense
10:16:35 ā€¹Ace Rimmerā€ŗ haven't looked at work in ages
10:42:43 ā€¹Sackett58ā€ŗ fine, I'll take my panties elsewhere
Captain trinicardinal

Postby jesusfreak16 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:48 am

Anybody have any other improvements to suggest to this?
Captain jesusfreak16

Postby FlyingElf on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Personally I think that if you miss 3 turns throughout the entire game you should be booted...not 3 consecutive...Also I have no idea why they allow you to place the lost guys if you miss a turn. You couldn't make it to a computer, fine, but understand that you lose your guys for that turn. With those 2 changes it completely destroys anyone whose strategy is to intentionally miss turns. I know I'm new here, but the very first game I joined I had to deal with a deadbeater and a guy who did this and it was very frustrating to wait the full 24 hours every single round.
Lieutenant FlyingElf

Postby captainwalrus on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:04 pm

I dont like this, if a game lasts for 200+ rounds, people would have a hard time staying in.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby jesusfreak16 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:17 pm

I'll put a revised version up ;)
Captain jesusfreak16

Postby wolfpack0530 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:21 am

captainwalrus wrote:I dont like this, if a game lasts for 200+ rounds, people would have a hard time staying in.

for crying out loud. most games that last 200+ rounds are because they are hopelessly deadlocked and stalemated. booting a player may actually bring a conclusion to the friggin game instead of having numerous players held hostage for an entire year.

I say, 3 missed turns and your out! period!!! not consecutive!! 3 missed turns per game and that is it!! In fact I would even support a 1 missed turn limit. 1 is the warning, second missed turn and you are out!
Captain wolfpack0530

Postby wolfpack0530 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:23 am

Bruceswar wrote:This works OK till you get a long game that last a year or so. Then what? You miss 7 turns in 365 days and poof be gone? Seems backwards to me. Maybe have it at 7 turns in 30 days which is roughly a month.

7 turns??? way to many!! i say, if you miss 3 turns in 365 days you are gone. honestly, it is only 1 game. if you are a premium, doesnt really hurt you that much. if you are a freemium, at least you arent haveing one slot being held hostage for an entire year in a deadlocked game.
Captain wolfpack0530

Postby jesusfreak16 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:12 pm

Updated version

Could we have rule where a player gets kicked after he misses a certain total number of turns(5, 7 ,etc...) within a certain period of time? (month, week, per 10 rounds, etc) This will keep players from intentionally missing 2 turns and then taking the third for a whole game to take advantage of the deferred troops procedure.
Captain jesusfreak16

Postby Shrinky on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:02 am

wolfpack0530 wrote:
captainwalrus wrote:I dont like this, if a game lasts for 200+ rounds, people would have a hard time staying in.

for crying out loud. most games that last 200+ rounds are because they are hopelessly deadlocked and stalemated. booting a player may actually bring a conclusion to the friggin game instead of having numerous players held hostage for an entire year.

I say, 3 missed turns and your out! period!!! not consecutive!! 3 missed turns per game and that is it!! In fact I would even support a 1 missed turn limit. 1 is the warning, second missed turn and you are out!

You seem to miss the entire point of emergency cases. what if there is an emergency and access to the comp is hampered for a few days for no fault of yours? You are saying that innocent people should be punished for causes that were entirely out of their control. And fact is there are more ppl who miss turns due to emergency cases than intentionally.
Highest Score-2505 (18/07/2010)
Major Shrinky

Postby SirSebstar on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:48 am

if the emergancey lasts more then 3 days, you can make other arangements. But if you have more then 3 emergency's in one game, well how fair is it to make everybody else wait?
At the very least you should ask someone to babysit your account so you dont miss turns, everythng else is bad planning or bad luck. But bad luck does not mean everybody else has to suffer too
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Halmir on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:41 am

How about an option where u have 24 hours to play ur turn; if u miss that, next time it's only 20 hours, then drops to 16, 12, 8, 4 and then u r finally booted? So booted on the 7th. It gives u more chance of rejoining but also keeps the game moving for other players.

Also yes remove the accumualting aspect - just give them an extra 3 Max total, and NO territory bonus.
Sergeant 1st Class Halmir

Postby MeDeFe on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:02 am

Personally I rather like the idea of 7 turns in 30 days in addition to the current 3 consecutive turns rule.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Shrinky on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:47 am

SirSebstar wrote:if the emergancey lasts more then 3 days, you can make other arangements. But if you have more then 3 emergency's in one game, well how fair is it to make everybody else wait?
At the very least you should ask someone to babysit your account so you dont miss turns, everythng else is bad planning or bad luck. But bad luck does not mean everybody else has to suffer too

Say you had an accident? and by pure bad luck u had to have accidents(or something else that qualifies as an emergency) 3 times in a game(not in a row) and in all 3 cases u could not contact ur account babysitter, then what is done in such a scenario?
Highest Score-2505 (18/07/2010)
Major Shrinky

Postby nippersean on Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:32 pm

Well I guess you can assume that the accident (or illness / or death in the family) takes precedent over your loss of precious points in CC
Brigadier nippersean

Postby AAFitz on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Game 387875

I believe this game has more missed turns than any other on CC... its a guess, but a semi-educated one.

to be honest, i wouldnt have wanted anyone bumped from the game because of it...but on the other hand, it would help end some of the really long games
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby MeDeFe on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:24 pm

AAFitz wrote:Game 387875

I believe this game has more missed turns than any other on CC... its a guess, but a semi-educated one.

to be honest, i wouldnt have wanted anyone bumped from the game because of it...but on the other hand, it would help end some of the really long games

BOB says 78 missed turns.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby AAFitz on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:27 pm

MeDeFe wrote:
AAFitz wrote:Game 387875

BOB says 78 missed turns.

I guess it was more that one person missed most of those...again, it doesnt even bother me...I just thought it was interesting
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby rappel on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:20 pm

Like another poster I see this rarely.
I don't see this tactic as cheating or bad play, it's something that's within the rules, so frustrating as it can be, work out what's bugging you here and see if it can be fixed.

I don't have a problem with someone doing it, I don't actually believe that it's any good against someone who understands what they are doing. Let's face it you will never get more armies than you would have done and will probably get a lot less. The only bit wrong with it for me is that it can extend the game to an unusual degree, so I have an alternative suggestion to deal with this for the casual (i.e. 24 hour game)

At start of game you have up to 24 hours to take a turn.
If you miss a turn then you have up to 12 hours to take a turn.
If you miss a second successive turn in a game you are flagged as absent.
Once you are flagged as absent then for that turn and any remaining missed turns in the game you have only 6 hours to take a turn.

You receive bonuses as with current rules - for whatever you would have received them.

This allows a reasonable time for real emergencies but allows for someone who stacks armies to play that way without really impacting everyone else in the game. If they are really brave they could try missing 5 turns :-) As long as everyone else in the game knows the consequences of what's outstanding then they can plan for it in their play.

... so there is one more refinement possible perhaps. In the missed a turn message in the log, could we not extend this to show how many armies should have been placed on the board. This will allow calculation of the risk of them being dumped near you should you attack this individual.

Comments??
Captain rappel

Postby jammyjames on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:30 pm

FlyingElf wrote:Personally I think that if you miss 3 turns throughout the entire game you should be booted...not 3 consecutive...Also I have no idea why they allow you to place the lost guys if you miss a turn. You couldn't make it to a computer, fine, but understand that you lose your guys for that turn. With those 2 changes it completely destroys anyone whose strategy is to intentionally miss turns. I know I'm new here, but the very first game I joined I had to deal with a deadbeater and a guy who did this and it was very frustrating to wait the full 24 hours every single round.

Bruce cearly stated about this being a bad idea, the long games.... for games less than 20 rounds possibly
Corporal 1st Class jammyjames

Postby jesusfreak16 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:56 pm

I put the new version up in my first post, so please comment on it instead of the first version. (It's based on Bruceswar's suggestion.)
Captain jesusfreak16

Next

Return to Suggestions