Conquer Club

Bogus Snapshot

Found something broken on the website or in the game, that isn't a plugin enhancement issue? Let's check it out.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously reported bugs first!

Bogus Snapshot

Postby Scarlet Lady on Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:51 am

Bogus snapshot

https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=21060617

The following has appeared in gamechat:

2021-08-01 03:06:34 - Scarlet Lady [self]: snapshot round 5
    2021-08-01 16:04:00 - G0rgatr0n: snapshot round 5
    2021-08-03 02:12:20 - Scarlet Lady [self]: snapshot round 6

The first snapshot 5 was taken by me, the second snapshot 5 looks like a troll and I'm pretty sure I didn't take the third one, but it was taken about the time I logged on about an hour ago. Both the bogus ones are showing as links but I haven't clicked on them. This is a foggy, 6 player game and we're currently on round 6.

Is it safe to continue with this game?

Thanks Scarlet
Captain Scarlet Lady

Re: Bogus Snapshot

Postby 2dimes on Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:31 am

Interesting...

My guess since G0rgatr0n does not seem to be guested and appears to be an active player, they accidentally entered the game and took a snap shot.

I entered via your link and attempted to take a snap shot to see if I could so, now the same thing appears from me.

Mine is definitely just a snap shot link generated by the site here. However I clicked on mine and since it is a fog game I am not playing in, my link does nothing.
I also cannot see any other chat because it's fog and your snapshots are notes to self as indicated by the tag [self]:

I suspect your snapshot of round 6 was generated at the round change as soon as you started your turn.

It should be fine to continue playing the game. Don't click on G0rgatr0n's link as a precaution.

Have a great week.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby Extreme Ways on Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:56 am

Gorgatron's snap is likely from another game copypasted, bit troll. It shows some map data, but it's highly doubt it's hop's point of view.

Other players can post snapshots in games they're not in. Snaps are basically just encodings of the current map, so my/2dimes snapshots show all fogged territs: our current map is fogged because it's a fog game we're not in. However, I could fetch a snap from another texan wars game I play and post the 'raw' encoding in your game chat. That could be the cause of gorgatron's snap.
REP, ex-TOFU, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
Brigadier Extreme Ways

Postby Scarlet Lady on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:38 am

Great, so nothing to worry about then

Thanks both for your help
Click image to enlarge.
Captain Scarlet Lady

Postby 2dimes on Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:05 pm

I was curious and slightly concerned too, but once I saw he seemed to be a legitimate player, I figured it was either an accident, or like Extreme Ways said some light hearted trolling.

Cheers.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby king achilles on Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:59 pm

Extreme Ways' explanation sounds about right. Take it as like a weak attempt at fake intel.... like someone saying (false) stuff in a fog of war game. If you have your own snapshot of the game, follow that and not anyone else just to be safe. Always be careful clicking on any links.
Sergeant king achilles
Support Admin
Support Admin

Postby mdhill on Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:04 pm

That was during the period Hop was sitting for Gorg while Gorg traveled. I'm sure Hop accidentally took the snap while he was still logged in as Gorg. So he took a snap of a bunch of ??.

mdhill
Click image to enlarge.
Brigadier mdhill

Postby king achilles on Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:00 pm

^ I tested this in beta and yes I was able to do it. Fundamentally, you are still taking the snap for whom it really is suppose to be for. It's just that the system is likely using the username from a cached piece of data at the time.
Sergeant king achilles
Support Admin
Support Admin

Postby hopalong on Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:45 pm

mdhill wrote:That was during the period Hop was sitting for Gorg while Gorg traveled. I'm sure Hop accidentally took the snap while he was still logged in as Gorg. So he took a snap of a bunch of ??.

mdhill

I did indeed take that snapshot. I can’t recall if this occurred while I was in my own account and it appeared that way because of a glitch like king explains or if i took the snap from g0rg’s account. I lean towards the former explanation because I see no reason I would look up my game from g0rg’s account- it would be too much effort to search my games in his account.

If needed, I can go through time logs from both our accounts to see which account I was probably in. Please pm me if that would help.

Apologies for the confusion.

Not sure if this is related: over the last week, as I go through my own snaps from my own account in my own games, some snaps bring up terts occupied by orange even if orange is not part of the game.

I hope I didn’t break the site.
Major hopalong

Postby 2dimes on Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:14 am

Any chance your browser took you to that game even though you were signed in to the account you were sitting. You took that snapshot. Realized the account could not proceed with a turn then continued on to games it could?
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby hopalong on Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:16 am

2dimes wrote:Any chance your browser took you to that game even though you were signed in to the account you were sitting. You took that snapshot. Realized the account could not proceed with a turn then continued on to games it could?

No idea - seems like a lifetime ago at this point!
Major hopalong

Return to Bug Reports