Conquer Club

[GL] Game Log 2.0

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Bonuses in game log

Postby Super Nova on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:54 am

MaTaMa wrote:I think it is a great idea, but when you play a game with fog of war then it would remove the fun.

Well, in fog of war, the game log says whether people are getting bonuses or not, but it says it when they actually get the troops. For this suggestion, the names of territories would be ????????, and so would the amount of troops.

Admittedly, this suggestion would change some of the dynamics of Fog of War; people would be able to see when someone has a bonus or not, but this wouldn't really matter for most of the time, since people would not be able to tell which bonuses other people have; only that they have one, which can fairly easily be determined anyway.
Cadet Super Nova

Re: Game Log 2.0

Postby Queen_Herpes on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:04 am

got it. I'd like to see the foggy changes put into game log 2.0 as mentioned in a different thread. Perhaps merge?
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby blakebowling on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:09 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:got it. I'd like to see the foggy changes put into game log 2.0 as mentioned in a different thread. Perhaps merge?

if you can link me to the thread I'll be happy to merge it.
Private blakebowling

Postby Super Nova on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:22 am

It looks like a lot of threads have been merged to this one; could someone come up with a summary of all the current ideas to modify the game log?
Cadet Super Nova

Postby blakebowling on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:24 am

Super Nova wrote:It looks like a lot of threads have been merged to this one; could someone come up with a summary of all the current ideas to modify the game log?

If someone were willing to do this, I will edit it into the first post.
Private blakebowling

Postby Queen_Herpes on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:27 am

Here is one...I will try to find others later tonight:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=127529

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby blakebowling on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:Here is one...I will try to find others later tonight:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=127529

Merged
Private blakebowling

Postby Super Nova on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:40 pm

I have made a summary of the revisions for the game log in the first hundred posts. I've tried to give credit to the people who originally came up with the suggestions but please forgive me if I messed up. Also, I'm afraid all that code stuff on pages 4 and 5ish was a little over my head, so if I missed something there please let me know and I will edit the post.

Here are the revisions, along with questions and comments about them.
I have also included lack's current plans for updating the game log.

show: 1st revision

show: 2nd revision

show: 3rd revision

show: 4th revision

show: 5th revision

show: 6th revision

show: 7th revision

show: 8th revision

show: 9th revision

show: 10th revision

show: 11th revision

show: lacks plans
Cadet Super Nova

Postby kabuki.mono on Sat May 28, 2011 12:04 am

I'd love to see in the game log what moves actually happened while I was away. Mainly because when one comes back and doesn't remember exactly how many troop s/he had it can get rather irritating where they went.
Huge yes to this in some sort of variation.
Or maybe an option so turn it on for the ones of us who do want to see what happened while we where away.
Corporal kabuki.mono

Postby vodean on Tue May 31, 2011 2:17 pm

while we're at it here's an idea I had. sorry to clutter the forum
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby ryanmaster on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:02 pm

If/When this gets implemented I would love to work on a add-on/script that could replay past games. For that, the most important thing, and the only thing I think is important when looking through game logs... is knowing what attacked what and how many troops were lost on each side. Knowing how many troops were advanced is nice, but not as important it is also a strategic option then and requires users to actually pay attention to the game

From the programming side, this should only be a little bit more code, depending on how the current system is written of course, but for the most part, it should be pretty straightforward.

As for the actual output in the game logs I think it should look something like...

USA<Player1> lost X while attacking Mexico<Player2> killing Y.
USA<Player1> lost X while conquering Mexico<Player2> killing Y.

Where X and Y are the Player's respective colors and <Player1>/<Player2> can be eliminated if the country is the color of the player as well.
Corporal ryanmaster

Game Log Clarifaction

Postby Rapax_xxi on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:31 am

I have not been playing CC for a terribly long time but I have been playing strategy games for as long as I can remember. One suggestion that I have is that I believe the game log should allow the player that defended a territory to know exactly what territory he/she defended successfully. A lot of times when FOW is on I cannot remember exactly what territories I own. I speak primarily during the opening moves of a game when borders are being set. I think that the defender should know exactly what territory was attacked. If I am to respond to aggression (actions) toward me I need to know exactly what territory was attacked. I think that any commander overseeing a campaign would ultimately know if he/she was attacked. I think that it would be a viable solution to allow only the defender and the attacker to see in the game log what territory was the center of battle. It is particularly necessary when I cannot even begin to pronounce the regions of the map, they all seem to blend together, and add on multiple games going on at once. I just need a quick reference to what happened since my last turn. Not a Jane Doe assaulted ? and Jon Doe defended ? I think that Jon Doe should know what was attacked. I might be missing something but let me know! XXI
Private 1st Class Rapax_xxi

Re: Game Log Clarifaction

Postby Darwins_Bane on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:52 am

This sounds like game log 2.0, have you looked at that suggestion yet?
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Re: Game Log Clarifaction

Postby blakebowling on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Please fill out the form that came in the original post. Moved to Archives.
Private blakebowling

Postby crustykev on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:57 pm

I didnt see this thread right in front of my face before I started a new one.
Here's the link.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=158542

And here's the post I made in my now redundant thread

I am currently involved in a First Nations of the Americas game.
Like many games, it uses local names for territories.
In the case of the First nations game, many of these names are unfamiliar to me.

The First nations map is huge, and so its extremely difficult, just by reading the game log, and seeing unfamiliar territory names to know where other players are attacking.
e.g. "2011-11-26 22:20:34 - Ron D assaulted Muisca from Palenque and conquered it from crustykev"

So here's my suggestion.
By clicking a line in the game log, the attacking and defending territories become highlighted by boxes, using the same boxes that highlight the bonus cards held by a player when he is playing a set of cards.
Or.
By clicking a territory named in the game log, that territory becomes highlighted by a bonus card box.
Lieutenant crustykev

Postby ender516 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:31 pm

That sounds like a good extension for BOB (which would likely happen before the site incorporated it).

EDIT: In fact, I think I will post this idea to the BOB thread. The ability to highlight territories is already there. The trick will be adding the functionality to the strings in the game log.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Re: [GL] Game Log 2.0

Postby ztodd on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Is this still on the to-do list? I'm still interested in it.
Sergeant 1st Class ztodd

Postby bigWham on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:27 am

Returning this Suggestions from Submitted with Notes:

The OP makes a reference to recording individual dice rolls and attacks, however this is going to require substantial storage overhead that I do not believe to be worth cost.

If there are other suggestions for Game Log in this thread, please state them clearly.
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby OliverFA on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:10 pm

IMHO what we really need from the log is to record if a player attacked a territory even if that attack was not successful.

Right now only successful attacks are recorded, and we need to resort to memory or screenshots to know if we were attacked. Having the confirmation of our impression by seeing a line in the log would be very useful. Something like

Successful attack:
Player A assaulted Territory A from Territory B and conquered it from Player B. The assaulter lost XX troops and the defender lost YY troops.
Unseccesful attack:
Player A assaulted Territory A from Territory B and Player B successfully defended it. The assaulter lost XX troops and the defender lost YY troops.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:55 pm

read through a bunch.

This quote I agree with the most

scotchleaf wrote:This was probably requested before, but why not have:

"Player X attacked Player Y in Siam from Indonesia with 30 armies. X lost 20, defeated Y's 10 armies..."

instead all we get is
"Choswolf assaulted Danzig from Herzogtum Preußen and conquered it from Scotchleaf" - at least when it is your own place that was attacked you should know what the # of attackers and Defenders was.

It kinda is a bummer when you have 30 armies somewhere, and Poof, they just disappear, and you dont know if they were defeated by a hoard or just by 10 lucky guys.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby OliverFA on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Yes, the initial number of troops should also be in the log. I forgot that detail in my previous post.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby agentcom on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:03 pm

bigWham wrote:Returning this Suggestions from Submitted with Notes:

The OP makes a reference to recording individual dice rolls and attacks, however this is going to require substantial storage overhead that I do not believe to be worth cost.

If there are other suggestions for Game Log in this thread, please state them clearly.

Both of the posts above pretty much come up against this issue, which is the main impediment to the part of this suggestion that deals with recording unsuccessful attacks, troop counts, troop losses, etc.
Colonel agentcom

Postby ender516 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:57 am

Perhaps the storage problems could be reduced if the extra information (precise troop counts) was held only until the game was archived. The archived log could simply state that an attack was made. I imagine this would simply involve dropping certain columns from the data. An additional nice feature would allow the user to save a small number of the games in full on the site, or an unlimited number offline, with a tool to load and review them. Make some or all of that a premium perk.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Crazyirishman on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:53 pm

ender516 wrote:Perhaps the storage problems could be reduced if the extra information (precise troop counts) was held only until the game was archived. The archived log could simply state that an attack was made. I imagine this would simply involve dropping certain columns from the data. An additional nice feature would allow the user to save a small number of the games in full on the site, or an unlimited number offline, with a tool to load and review them. Make some or all of that a premium perk.

This is more or less what I agree with. If I am playing a 4+ player game with fog, and decide to trim a stack without taking it, I don't want others to have access to that info since it could remove any advantage I was trying to gain by attacking without conquering.
Captain Crazyirishman

Postby OliverFA on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Crazyirishman wrote:This is more or less what I agree with. If I am playing a 4+ player game with fog, and decide to trim a stack without taking it, I don't want others to have access to that info since it could remove any advantage I was trying to gain by attacking without conquering.

But if a player is attacked by someone else it is completely logical that the defender will receive a report saying that he was attacked, by whom, and how many casualties the attack caused. If you were watching at that present moment you would get that info, so this should be in the log.

I agree that this info is not needed once the game has finished. Would be nice to have it to study the game and so, but it's not vital.

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions