Conquer Club

[GF] Filter For Reserved/Unreserved Games To Game Finder

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GF] Filter For Reserved/Unreserved Games To Game Finder

Postby kmhebert on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:53 am

Add A Radio Button Or Checkbox To Game Finder
  • Reserved Games
  • Unreserved Games

Specifics:
Game Finder allows filtering of private and public games. This needs to be expanded to reserved and unreserved games as soon as possible. I would prefer a radio button with "unreserved" set as default but a checkbox would be acceptable and consistent with the current filter selection options.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • No one wants to wade through a huge list of reserved games to which they are not invited when looking for games to join
  • This would also allow people who know they are invited to a large number of games by the same player to easily search for a retrieve a list of such games to join

Please put this at the top of the priority list, I estimate this is a ten minute type of fix that could be implemented with the least effort.
Sergeant kmhebert

Re: Add Filter For Reserved/Unreserved Games To Game Filter

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 am

I agree, however I think a better fix would be to just ELIMINATE any game that has no public openings from the public listings.

Move any games with ONLY "reserved" places into the private list. It could be "stacked", that is, reserves would come first/last in the list or it could be jumbled --- just depending upon what is easiest to program.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Darwins_Bane on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:12 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:I agree, however I think a better fix would be to just ELIMINATE any game that has no public openings from the public listings.

Move any games with ONLY "reserved" places into the private list. It could be "stacked", that is, reserves would come first/last in the list or it could be jumbled --- just depending upon what is easiest to program.

that already sort of happens....if you go to the join games page then it hides games and only says that it has been fully reserved.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby jaytorade on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:00 pm

Yes for god sakes it blows now to sort through games that arent actually public waiting for players. :evil:
Captain jaytorade

Postby kmhebert on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:52 pm

So what is the general procedure for "making this actually happen"? This is an easy fix.
Sergeant kmhebert

Reserve search exclusion

Postby Mike the Squirre on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Ok this is short simple in to the point, in response to the new premium member option of inviting people to a game i propose that when searching for a game and you click public that it excludes games that are currently being reserved, as they are really not public and of no use to us looking for a game to join.
Want to play another cool game? Come over and join up on cybernations http://www.cybernations.net and see what your missing, Join Ordo verde while you there ;D
Private Mike the Squirre

Re: Reserve search exclusion

Postby haggispittjr on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:16 pm

you mean games that are completely reserved
Lieutenant haggispittjr

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:03 am

Lack will be reviewing the Reserveration feature in a week or two, and will look at possible improvements he can add to it!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Mike the Squirre on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:18 pm

Yes, exactly, games with no open slots are not really public, and are of no use to people searching for a game to join.
Want to play another cool game? Come over and join up on cybernations http://www.cybernations.net and see what your missing, Join Ordo verde while you there ;D
Private Mike the Squirre

Postby kmhebert on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:18 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Lack will be reviewing the Reserveration feature in a week or two, and will look at possible improvements he can add to it!

--Andy

Well that is good, but it begs the question: why the wait? This is a fix that should have been made the same day as Reservations were created.
Sergeant kmhebert

Postby Mike the Squirre on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:41 pm

ummm anyone going to comment on this?

/bump
Private Mike the Squirre

Postby laughingcavalier on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:07 pm

Makes sense - games with all spots reserved are not waiting for players, at least until any of those reserved spots come open - so they should not show up in waiting for players searches. Probably a simple fix to code too?
Major laughingcavalier

Re: Add Filter For Reserved/Unreserved Games To Game Finder

Postby kmhebert on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:10 am

I hate to see something so fundamental and necessary get ignored for so long. Does anyone know the status of this request?
Sergeant kmhebert

Postby pickinson on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:19 am

How do you keep the "reserved" status from appearing in the first place??? When I join a "public" game, I don't want to have to invite players.
Corporal 1st Class pickinson

Postby Mike the Squirre on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:04 am

seems like it should be.
Private Mike the Squirre

Postby Vermont on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:17 am

Seems a reasonable suggestion.
Major Vermont

Postby Kotaro on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:19 pm

A good suggestion. I'd also like to see a search for games reserved for you button.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:12 pm

I like your sig. 8-)
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby lackattack on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:26 pm

I merged Mike the Squirre's suggestion with this one because they are similar.

We could add a checkbox to filter out fully reserved games to the Game Finder. I prefer that over automatically filtering them when you search for public or waiting games because the Game Finder is a general purpose tool used for more than joining games. However, according to my calculations less than 1% of public games are fully reserved. Could you give an example search where there is too much scrolling to find a game to join?
Sergeant lackattack

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:34 pm

lackattack wrote:I merged Mike the Squirre's suggestion with this one because they are similar.

We could add a checkbox to filter out fully reserved games to the Game Finder. I prefer that over automatically filtering them when you search for public or waiting games because the Game Finder is a general purpose tool used for more than joining games. However, according to my calculations less than 1% of public games are fully reserved. Could you give an example search where there is too much scrolling to find a game to join?

Search for games "Waiting for players, 2 players, Public, Casual" at any given time. I normally find that about half of them are fully reserved.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby kmhebert on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:48 am

lackattack wrote:I merged Mike the Squirre's suggestion with this one because they are similar.

It's not that there is too much scrolling, it is that it puts the games I might want to play in the middle of a bunch of games I can't possibly play no matter what. However I am fine with the filtering checkbox, any time frame as to when this might get added?
Sergeant kmhebert

Re: Filter For Reserved/Unreserved Games To Game Finder (merged)

Postby kmhebert on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Got to keep beating on the drum -- why isn't this done yet? Should have been rolled out WITH reserved games. Come on. It will take you five minutes and then it will be done forever.
Sergeant kmhebert

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Speaking of reserved game since when can freeiums not send out invites? Seems counter productive to me.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Speaking of reserved game since when can freeiums not send out invites? Seems counter productive to me.

From the beginning. I don't know about being counterproductive, the same argument that comes with unlimited games, speeders, etc. fits this label (and frankly I agree with it).
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby kmhebert on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:30 pm

UGH and not being able to invite on game creation, THAT is bad! Heh I just started a feudal War 2 Player game intending to invite someone and BLOOP someone jumps in. Which is fine, the more the merrier and all, but, come on. Anyway what is the game plan for the filter? Heh I need to bump up my old date range search request also. Incidentally I am a fulltime PHP developer and would be glad to lend a hand any old time.
Sergeant kmhebert

Next

Return to Suggestions