Conquer Club

[EoA] Allow me to Stay Logged In

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Keep users signed into CC for longer than an hour

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:37 pm

markus Oralius wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:I can see nothing but downside. What could possibly be the upside of doing this?

The upside? It saves people apparently 2 seconds to click login I guess.

Every little bit helps, thats how you become and stay #1

Would you rather want this? Or other updates that would involve new game settings? Because currently it's only the Webmaster doing all the coding, and he's trying to spend most of his time fixing bugs, keep the site running smoothly as possible, AND code new features.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:55 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
markus Oralius wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:I can see nothing but downside. What could possibly be the upside of doing this?

Would you rather want this? Or other updates that would involve new game settings? Because currently it's only the Webmaster doing all the coding, and he's trying to spend most of his time fixing bugs, keep the site running smoothly as possible, AND code new features.

If he has time for skip-a-game, he has time for this.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby chapcrap on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:12 am

Army of GOD wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
markus Oralius wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:

If he has time for skip-a-game, he has time for this.

Yeah, while I don't care much about this, I don't see how it could take that long to do.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:38 am

This seems pointless to me. o noez, i have to sign in again, which takes all of 3 seconds. Why put the work into adding this feature when the work could be put into more worthwhile suggestions?

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby greenoaks on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:45 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:This seems pointless to me. o noez, i have to sign in again, which takes all of 3 seconds. Why put the work into adding this feature when the work could be put into more worthwhile suggestions?

-TG

i agree with this post
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby nietzsche on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:01 am

why are we here when we could be saving lives in africa or whatever.

it's annoying to me too, i leave the tab there and later come and click a link to some forum to see what's new and i'm logged out and i see everything in gray, then i have to login at the upperleft corner which takes me to My Games when i wanted to see the forums.

i would like to hear some good arguments against it apart from the "prank" one told by ES. otherwise i think lickattack could do this in a matter of minutes. if you share a computer you should lock your session when afk.

if lack has the money tell him he could hire me im a good coder O:) . i want 300,000 usd a year.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby chapcrap on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:39 pm

nietzsche wrote:why are we here when we could be saving lives in africa or whatever.

it's annoying to me too, i leave the tab there and later come and click a link to some forum to see what's new and i'm logged out and i see everything in gray, then i have to login at the upperleft corner which takes me to My Games when i wanted to see the forums.

i would like to hear some good arguments against it apart from the "prank" one told by ES. otherwise i think lickattack could do this in a matter of minutes. if you share a computer you should lock your session when afk.

if lack has the money tell him he could hire me im a good coder O:) . i want 300,000 usd a year.

I wish his name were lickattack.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Re: Login timeout can be much much longer

Postby tarcellius on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Has there been any progress on this effort?
Colonel tarcellius

Postby nryan115 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:19 pm

chapcrap wrote:
tarcellius wrote:Great! Then no architecture changes are needed and it really is just a matter of changing a number somewhere. I vote for at least 24 hours, if not more.

If it's changed, I think 24 hours is plenty. I just don't want to hear people complain about forgetting to log off and someone getting on their account and ruining their turns.

I have literally left this site over this 99% common feature on every other website ever not being present here. I have come back several years alter to see if it has been fixed and I can see that it has not. Is there truly any particular reason it has not? Your concern about being forgetting to log out is not a concern at all since the "keep me logged in" check box is an opt-in during login. When used on a public computer one simply would do nothing (not click the opt in box).

Since creating this topic I have logged into the previously mentioned forum 1 time. That is one single login over the last 3 years. I visit the site every day but my "active" time is only 4 days (less than 96 hours) since I am put offline after a couple of minutes of inactivity. The one time I had to re login was when I used my work computer and chose not to have the site keep my logged in.

Once again, I want to stress my concern that almost every other site has this same option, yahoo, google, comcast, facebook, as well as most private sites. Except this site.

I once again, respectfully, ask you to please consider adding a "keep me logged in" check box like every other site has which will keep users from having to log in constantly, BUT STILL automatically marks them as inactive after the traditional 15 minutes or whatever the current setting is now. This would not affect speed games at all, turns, or anything except prevent users from typing in their account information over and over and over again.

And yes, I still refuse to use any browser based password manager for this - even though it will fill in the fields it is A) not the same whatsoever, and B) now how I choose to use my computer or be lax with my security.

Therefore, can this please be reconsidered? I am literally only asking for a feature that will make the site at least as modern as 2006.
Corporal nryan115

Postby nryan115 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 pm

P.S. for whatever reason I can also see that some moderator has changed the title of this thread to "Login timeout can be much much longer" which is literally not what I am or ever was asking for at all. Just to be clear.
Corporal nryan115

Postby agentcom on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:43 pm

blakebowling wrote:Topics Merged.

This is what changed the title
Colonel agentcom

Postby nryan115 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:22 pm

agentcom wrote:
blakebowling wrote:Topics Merged.

This is what changed the title

OK well, that explains how it happened but my topic was not about lengthening the timeout period. So basically, it would seem that my request was overwritten by this request which, in my opinion, is less critical and would have a less likely chance of taking place because of that.

Are the differences not perfectly clear?
Corporal nryan115

Postby chapcrap on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:06 pm

nryan115 wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
tarcellius wrote:Great! Then no architecture changes are needed and it really is just a matter of changing a number somewhere. I vote for at least 24 hours, if not more.

If it's changed, I think 24 hours is plenty. I just don't want to hear people complain about forgetting to log off and someone getting on their account and ruining their turns.

I have literally left this site over this 99% common feature on every other website ever not being present here. I have come back several years alter to see if it has been fixed and I can see that it has not. Is there truly any particular reason it has not? Your concern about being forgetting to log out is not a concern at all since the "keep me logged in" check box is an opt-in during login. When used on a public computer one simply would do nothing (not click the opt in box).

Since creating this topic I have logged into the previously mentioned forum 1 time. That is one single login over the last 3 years. I visit the site every day but my "active" time is only 4 days (less than 96 hours) since I am put offline after a couple of minutes of inactivity. The one time I had to re login was when I used my work computer and chose not to have the site keep my logged in.

Once again, I want to stress my concern that almost every other site has this same option, yahoo, google, comcast, facebook, as well as most private sites. Except this site.

I once again, respectfully, ask you to please consider adding a "keep me logged in" check box like every other site has which will keep users from having to log in constantly, BUT STILL automatically marks them as inactive after the traditional 15 minutes or whatever the current setting is now. This would not affect speed games at all, turns, or anything except prevent users from typing in their account information over and over and over again.

And yes, I still refuse to use any browser based password manager for this - even though it will fill in the fields it is A) not the same whatsoever, and B) now how I choose to use my computer or be lax with my security.

Therefore, can this please be reconsidered? I am literally only asking for a feature that will make the site at least as modern as 2006.

Notice how the topics were merged? I wasn't responding to your topic, but to the other topic of keeping the login time longer.

If there is a checkbox that allows the password to be saved, then that is different, IMO.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby nryan115 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:17 pm

chapcrap wrote:
nryan115 wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

Notice how the topics were merged? I wasn't responding to your topic, but to the other topic of keeping the login time longer.

If there is a checkbox that allows the password to be saved, then that is different, IMO.

First, I appreciate that you can see that my request is different.
Second, I am not asking for a check box to remember my password, I am asking for a checkbox to keep me logged into the site so that I do not have to click "log in" when I open, or refresh the page. It not only skips me having to type but also having to click the login button as well.

I am not sure if some of my posts were deleted or what when this was merged but I have explained this concept what feels like 10 times or more which I simply do not understand the need for as the feature is very common on other major websites. Do you literally type in your credentials and click log in every time you sign into facebook or youtube? No. Do your friend see you online on facebook 24 hours a day? No because you are inactive when idle or the page closed but you are not logged off.

When you sign into most of google's other pages such as google analytics it used to have a check box that said "keep me signed in for two weeks". I don't know if I am being elaborately trolled or what but it feels like being in a room full of old people asking if you need stamps to send "the emails".
Corporal nryan115

Postby nryan115 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 pm

P.S. Actually I can see that another thread was merged with mine and that my initial posts and seemingly all of my old posts are still here, although for some reason the name was changed to something that does not describe my request at all and I fear most people would not even click this topic due to the name which describes a different feature than my actual request.

I can also still see on the first page the head global administrator saying that he doesn't get timed out after 15 minutes (at the time of this thread creation that was the timeout limit) so I fear nothing will come of this (again) ~ even though he SHOULD have gotten timed out since the site was literally setup to do so. I just - I just don't know what to do with myself anymore. I am in one game which just started and has been active for 1 day and I have already logged in too many times. Whereas, I have opened facebook and youtube a bunch of times and haven't logged in to either for over a month.

How can such an extraordinarily common and useful request barely be acknowledged like this?

The other main point is that so many people do not come to this forum when they are upset and they just leave instead. I had two other friends who used to play here with me who used to tell me outside of game how annoying this issue was before I even made the topic and how they dreaded checking on the status of their games because of it. They are gone now, just as I had left because of this specific issue. I think it could make a drastic change to player retention.
Corporal nryan115

Postby agentcom on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:56 pm

The topics shouldn't have been merged, in my opinion. The topics can be "unmerged," but it takes a couple minutes, which I don't have right now. I'll try to get back to this.
Colonel agentcom

Postby nryan115 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks? So how do you get someone to reconsider this suggestion anyhow?
Corporal nryan115

Postby nryan115 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Today alone I typed my info and logged in like 10 times. I have been playing a few games since I came back to this thread and I am already mind blowingly agitated and annoyed by this. I can see that nothing will come of this thread, I guess I was just being hopeful. I will be leaving again after my current games are up and will let my friends know that nothing has changed or will change. Goodluck with the site.
Corporal nryan115

Postby MegaProphet on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:26 pm

I support the suggestion for a longer login timeout, but I'd prefer a 'remember me' type box. Continually having to log in is a pain.
Corporal MegaProphet

Postby darth emperor on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:33 am

nryan115 wrote:Today alone I typed my info and logged in like 10 times. I have been playing a few games since I came back to this thread and I am already mind blowingly agitated and annoyed by this. I can see that nothing will come of this thread, I guess I was just being hopeful. I will be leaving again after my current games are up and will let my friends know that nothing has changed or will change. Goodluck with the site.

I really can't understand, how did you log 10 times, without closing the page, or sing out. If you leave the page alone, its atleast 1 hour, before it's disconected.
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby MoB Deadly on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:33 am

just keep at least one tab open
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby agentcom on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:49 pm

nryan115 wrote:Today alone I typed my info and logged in like 10 times. I have been playing a few games since I came back to this thread and I am already mind blowingly agitated and annoyed by this. I can see that nothing will come of this thread, I guess I was just being hopeful. I will be leaving again after my current games are up and will let my friends know that nothing has changed or will change. Goodluck with the site.

This is the way of feature implementation on this site. There are lots of features that people want and a mostly volunteer base trying to sort through them. If I had to guess, I would say that very few of the users of this site have this problem. I rarely, if ever, have to log back in, but that is because I click around between my games and the Forum. I might have to log in a couple of times a day, even on days that I spend a lot of time online.

Basically, I'm saying that the suggestion hasn't been rejected, but I feel (based on my experience here) that there are a fair amount of other simple fixes that probably have higher priority for users and moderators.
Colonel agentcom

Postby nryan115 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:50 pm

MegaProphet wrote:I support the suggestion for a longer login timeout, but I'd prefer a 'remember me' type box. Continually having to log in is a pain.

Exactly, now how many people do nto post and how many more just quit the site out of rage instead of going tot he forums att all?

darth emperor wrote:I really can't understand, how did you log 10 times, without closing the page, or sing out. If you leave the page alone, its atleast 1 hour, before it's disconected.

I really do not understand how you do not understand. There are 24 hours in a day and I am awake for 16 or more of those hours. I check my games and see that I have no turns to take. I then go about my business and come back to see that I have been logged out. Repeat 10 times per day, it is not hard math.

MoB Deadly wrote:just keep at least one tab open

As per my previous statements, this does not help at all, even a little. The site times you out if you are not constantly clicking on things. I dont even care that it times me out and makes me idle or that it considered me logged out. I am concerned that it makes me logged in and does not remember me at all. This is literally the only site i log into that does this.

agentcom wrote:This is the way of feature implementation on this site. There are lots of features that people want and a mostly volunteer base trying to sort through them. If I had to guess, I would say that very few of the users of this site have this problem. I rarely, if ever, have to log back in, but that is because I click around between my games and the Forum. I might have to log in a couple of times a day, even on days that I spend a lot of time online.

Basically, I'm saying that the suggestion hasn't been rejected, but I feel (based on my experience here) that there are a fair amount of other simple fixes that probably have higher priority for users and moderators.

If my request was weird, odd, or even just something that "would be nice" I would completely understand but I have literally waited years for a request to make the site as recent as the early 2000's. This feature is on almost every website that exists (although some hide the check box and leave you logged in until you log yourself out). As shown in my previous posts I have listed many examples of billion visit per day websites that have this - also, every website I have ever made has had this feature built in. Most frameworks have this built in automatically meaning that even people stupid blogs have it.

I find your statement to be miss-worded, in fact, every single user to this site have this problem, they either just do not complain about it, do not mind it, and or use their browser to remember their password and do not mind clicking once to login. Do you not find it wrong that you need to log into the site more than once per day at all? Ever? Again, I haven't logged into facebook, or youtube in months. Google in weeks. Surely you can also now see how annoying it would be if you were NOT active on the forum constantly.

I do not want a longer timeout time at all, in fact if it truly is 1 hour that is too long in my opinion. Imagine starting a speed game with someone who hasn't been online for 59 minutes - eww. I was happier with 15 minutes. Extending the time to be logner would not help me at all. I do not even want to sign in once a week or month. I just do not feel it is so much to ask the site for such a literally basic feature.

20 years ago power steering was an option on luxury cars. Today you wouldn't even consider buying a used car without it. I find this issue to be the same as power steering. I have fun here but I just cannot log in any more times before I rage quit again. I just got home from work and I have now logged in 1 time. Guaranteed 5 more times before I go to bed. Why? Because I am going to cook supper, eat food, watch tv, LOG IN AND CHECK MY GAMES, play a mutliplayer PC game, LOG IN AND CHECK MY GAMES, maybe watch a 2 hour movie, LOG IN AND CHECK MY GAMES, etc etc etc. It is ridiculous. I have logged into facebook maybe 30 times since I joined this site in 2007 and I have had 3 computers since then.
Corporal nryan115

Postby nryan115 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:41 pm

bump.
Corporal nryan115

Postby skychaser on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:18 pm

I think this is a good idea. I worked it around by auto reloading the page every 10 minutes, but it would be better if there was such an option.
Colonel skychaser

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions