Conquer Club

[Forum] [Rules] Streamline & Clarify Community Guidelines

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[Forum] [Rules] Streamline & Clarify Community Guidelines

Postby Symmetry on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:11 pm

Look at the unholy mess that constitutes the guidelines and get it down to a simple set of rules, that can be easily read

Specifics/Details:

Have someone have a thorough look at the community guidelines, put them together into a single editable post, take out some of the chaff and keep the good stuff.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

The community guidelines are considered essential reading on most forums. They're linked to at the top of the forums, and a request is made to read them. They're also a bit messy, with a variety of editing styles, tones, and sometimes bizarre rules- no male nipples folks, even if you want to talk about Michaelangelo's David and want to post a pic. No excuses.

A bit of housecleaning is in order as well as in some of the other forum guidelines. Dako over on bug reports runs a tight ship, and should be emulated. Cheating and Abuse is its own worst enemy. Not sure what the "How suggestions work" thread is meant to be about anymore. A lot of clutter.

Getting rid of the waste, and consolidating the rest would make it easier to understand the basics of how each forum works,
Last edited by JamesKer1 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edited Title for Clarification and [Rules]
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Streamline and clarify the community guidelines

Postby Night Strike on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:27 pm

The reason why the Community Guidelines are written the way they are is because everyone who receives a warning or ban demands to know exactly which caveat of the rules they broke. They would be simplified if everyone who broke the rules didn't demand that the exact phrase they violated be pointed out to them. It's why we have the general rule of "Don't be annoying", but most people who get banned demand something more specific than that as proof of their violations.
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Night Strike wrote:The reason why the Community Guidelines are written the way they are is because everyone who receives a warning or ban demands to know exactly which caveat of the rules they broke. They would be simplified if everyone who broke the rules didn't demand that the exact phrase they violated be pointed out to them. It's why we have the general rule of "Don't be annoying", but most people who get banned demand something more specific than that as proof of their violations.

Yeah, I got that impression, but at least from time to time they could do with a bit of compiling and streamlining. Just for the sake of clarity and ease of access.

[I edited the title to include other forum guidelines after this post was made]
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Streamline and clarify the community/forum guidelines

Postby SirSebstar on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:10 am

care to make a stab at it while you are on the case?
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:34 am

Symmetry wrote:
Night Strike wrote:The reason why the Community Guidelines are written the way they are is because everyone who receives a warning or ban demands to know exactly which caveat of the rules they broke. They would be simplified if everyone who broke the rules didn't demand that the exact phrase they violated be pointed out to them. It's why we have the general rule of "Don't be annoying", but most people who get banned demand something more specific than that as proof of their violations.

Yeah, I got that impression, but at least from time to time they could do with a bit of compiling and streamlining. Just for the sake of clarity and ease of access.

[I edited the title to include other forum guidelines after this post was made]

They are pretty streamlined as it is. Don't be intentionally annoying is the shortest and smallest forum rule I have seena nywhere. I can't believe so many people break it.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Symmetry on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:03 am

SirSebstar wrote:care to make a stab at it while you are on the case?

I've thought about it, but I guess there are some easy steps to take before any major revision. "How Suggestions Work" at the top of this forum, can be deleted, for one. It's a thread that has no new information, or anything of relevance to the forum as it stands.

I guess I can have a go at some of the rest to condense them down, but that might take a while- I don't know exactly how unwritten rules work, and obviously some of the written rules aren't really enforced.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby JamesKer1 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Since someone is currently working on this, I'll mark this as SUBMITTED

=D>
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Return to Suggestions