Conquer Club

[Site] Conquer Cup/Credits. Allow me to buy them for you.

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Conquer Cup. Allow me to buy you in.

Postby Gillipig on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:05 am

macbone wrote:I like it, man!

He didn't say he'd buy you in though macbone ;)

koontz1973 wrote:
agentcom wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Majority of people are in favour, only metsfanmax seems to want to alter it so will keep it as is until others chime in.

I totally understand the idea of wanting to give something more tangible, like a Cup entry, rather than intangible, like the points.

My brain must of been on lock down. You said in one word what took me half a page to write.

Tangible. :oops:

Tangible means something like "real" or "useful". I haven't checked with a dictionary because I think that would be cheating :geek:.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby chapcrap on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:53 am

Metsfanmax wrote:Ok, it's up to you I guess. If it were me, I'd be just as happy either giving them enough credits to join the Conquer Cup if they wanted to, or contributing 20% to their effort to become premium and have a whole year of playing as many games as they want.

Mets is probably right about how we need to do it.

Here's why it is a bad idea to gift entry into the cup, what if someone doesn't want to play in it? I mean, we could start gifting it to people who we know hate the game type or people who are inactive. That needs to be circumvented ahead of time. Gifting credits is a much better idea.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:58 am

Gillipig wrote:Tangible means something like "real" or "useful". I haven't checked with a dictionary because I think that would be cheating :geek:.

So you do not think it would be useful for someone to give you a couple of free games in the hope that you might win something? Also, the game may be played in cyberspace but that does not mean it is real. So tangible is the right word.
chapcrap wrote:Here's why it is a bad idea to gift entry into the cup, what if someone doesn't want to play in it? I mean, we could start gifting it to people who we know hate the game type or people who are inactive. That needs to be circumvented ahead of time. Gifting credits is a much better idea.

Gifting credits may be OK in the end, but who in their right mind would spend even $5 to do that. So what if you hate the type of game, it is a free game that you did not have to pay for, and with the inactive users, why. Would you gift someone 500 credits or cup entry if they are inactive. :-s

But have updated the first post to show that both should be made possible.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:29 pm

The only distinction between gifting credits and gifting a cup entry is that the player might choose not to use those credits for entering the Conquer Cup. If they did want to play in the Conquer Cup, then they will use those credits to sign up and you'll see the tangible result.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:The only distinction between gifting credits and gifting a cup entry is that the player might choose not to use those credits for entering the Conquer Cup. If they did want to play in the Conquer Cup, then they will use those credits to sign up and you'll see the tangible result.

Yep, I sort of came round to the idea. It seems logical to be able to have both as both cost the same, and it would only allow a minimum amount of extra work to do both over the one.

Can I ask one of the mods to check my first post to make sure all is in order. Is it OK like it is or do I need to add more info to it. If so, what?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:03 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:The only distinction between gifting credits and gifting a cup entry is that the player might choose not to use those credits for entering the Conquer Cup. If they did want to play in the Conquer Cup, then they will use those credits to sign up and you'll see the tangible result.

Yep, I sort of came round to the idea. It seems logical to be able to have both as both cost the same, and it would only allow a minimum amount of extra work to do both over the one.

Can I ask one of the mods to check my first post to make sure all is in order. Is it OK like it is or do I need to add more info to it. If so, what?

Yes, it's fine. Concise and simple is just fine with us :)
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby greenoaks on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:26 pm

if i put up a 12 month prize for one of my tournaments it would be nice to use the matching that CC does to give 5 Conquer Cup entries as additional prizes.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby agentcom on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:44 pm

chapcrap wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:Ok, it's up to you I guess. If it were me, I'd be just as happy either giving them enough credits to join the Conquer Cup if they wanted to, or contributing 20% to their effort to become premium and have a whole year of playing as many games as they want.

Here's why it is a bad idea to gift entry into the cup, what if someone doesn't want to play in it? I mean, we could start gifting it to people who we know hate the game type or people who are inactive. That needs to be circumvented ahead of time. Gifting credits is a much better idea.

They still have to join the games. They could choose not to play and then you would be wasting the $5 that you're spending on annoying them.

I studied economics in undergrad and one of the common topics was when economics seems to be broken. Gift giving is one example. An economist would tell you that the best gift is cash or a prepaid credit card because then the person can spend that money on whatever has the highest value to them. But we all know that this is not how people operate (and it ignores the utility to the gift giver). Like I said, I understand koontz wanting to give an entry rather than the credits. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best way to do it, and it looks like koontz has come around to the credit idea, so I guess this whole point is moot :)

I will point out that the entries option had the added benefit of making the Cup fill faster, which I know has been a recurring issue.

greenoaks wrote:if i put up a 12 month prize for one of my tournaments it would be nice to use the matching that CC does to give 5 Conquer Cup entries as additional prizes.

Good point, but I'm not sure CC wants to give away too many entries for free because they have to cover the cost of their prizes.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Gillipig on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Gillipig wrote:Tangible means something like "real" or "useful". I haven't checked with a dictionary because I think that would be cheating :geek:.

So you do not think it would be useful for someone to give you a couple of free games in the hope that you might win something? Also, the game may be played in cyberspace but that does not mean it is real. So tangible is the right word.

I wasn't the one who said the idea was intangible! I just commented on what the word "tangible" means.
You're firing wide koontz lol.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby chapcrap on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 pm

greenoaks wrote:if i put up a 12 month prize for one of my tournaments it would be nice to use the matching that CC does to give 5 Conquer Cup entries as additional prizes.

If someone is signing up for it, then that would be great to give it to them, because they know it's coming.

agentcom wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

They still have to join the games. They could choose not to play and then you would be wasting the $5 that you're spending on annoying them.

I guess you haven't played in the Conquer Cup and don't know how it works...

You don't join the games. You are automatically put into them when the tournament fills. The game starts without you even realizing. There is no way to drop the game.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:16 pm

chapcrap wrote:[
I guess you haven't played in the Conquer Cup and don't know how it works...

You don't join the games. You are automatically put into them when the tournament fills. The game starts without you even realizing. There is no way to drop the game.

Duh. I did play once and now that you mention it .... :oops:
Colonel agentcom

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:42 am

I think this is taking the idea a step to far and in the wrong direction. The prizes for tournies should stay the same or separate from this for now.

chapcraps comment of the entry for conquer cup being automatic is valid. I very much doubt that anyone would buy a person in for no reason apart from being spiteful, but does this problem occur now with the conquer cup? Do players become inactive after joining the cups and not play them? If that was a problem or such a big problem, after 3 finished, 1 ongoing and 1 filling up now, it would of been dealt with.

A simple PM to a player saying you have been entered into the CC/given 500credits will solve all problems.

Does a PM go out if you buy someone premium now?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby trinicardinal on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:35 am

koontz1973 wrote:

I think this is taking the idea a step to far and in the wrong direction. The prizes for tournies should stay the same or separate from this for now.

chapcraps comment of the entry for conquer cup being automatic is valid. I very much doubt that anyone would buy a person in for no reason apart from being spiteful, but does this problem occur now with the conquer cup? Do players become inactive after joining the cups and not play them? If that was a problem or such a big problem, after 3 finished, 1 ongoing and 1 filling up now, it would of been dealt with.

A simple PM to a player saying you have been entered into the CC/given 500credits will solve all problems.

Does a PM go out if you buy someone premium now?

I believe that the giftee gets a message if someone buys them premium

Added: I like the idea of being able to purchase Credits for someone though. Then that person can decide to use it for the Cup or towards premium
10:16:35 ā€¹Ace Rimmerā€ŗ haven't looked at work in ages
10:42:43 ā€¹Sackett58ā€ŗ fine, I'll take my panties elsewhere
Captain trinicardinal

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:57 am

Added credits to the first post. Tad quiet in here like the foundry.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby agentcom on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:18 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Added credits to the first post. Tad quiet in here like the foundry.

holidays I would imagine
Colonel agentcom

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:54 am

agentcom wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Added credits to the first post. Tad quiet in here like the foundry.

holidays I would imagine

Then why are you still here. :P

Go and have a drink, and while you are at it, have a few for me. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Conquer Cup/Credits. Allow me to buy them for you.

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:29 am

Bump because I want it :lol: and so does everyone else who posted. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby BGtheBrain on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:44 am

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby chapcrap on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:55 am

koontz1973 wrote:Bump because I want it :lol: and so does everyone else who posted. ;)

Well, I'll only agree that I want it if you want to gift credits to someone. I won't agree that I want it to buy someone into Conquer Cup.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:06 pm

chapcrap wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Bump because I want it :lol: and so does everyone else who posted. ;)

Well, I'll only agree that I want it if you want to gift credits to someone. I won't agree that I want it to buy someone into Conquer Cup.

First post states this as well as the title. So I will count you in the positive column then. :P
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby darth emperor on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:56 am

What about a midway? Instead of giving 500 credits, or a place in a Conquer Cup, you get an invitation for a Conquer Cup, which you can use it for the next Conquer Cup, or for another that you fancy more. (All this supposing that they are going to make different types of Conquer Cup).

Like that is like you give them 500 credits, but only usable for the Conquer Cup, so it will maintain the "tangible feel", that the credits don't give. And it won't be forced to play someone who is inactive or doesn't want.
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:33 am

So from what I am reading darth, you want the ability to buy the credits for a conquer cup, but maybe not for the next one out? But have them use it only for a conquer cup and not a premium. If this is correct, that I feel that this might end up being more complicated than it needs to be. Also, not everyone may want to join any cup. I have been trying to keep this very simple and have a one type fits all option. I am sure if players say to each other, I am going to buy you into the next cup, they will say no thanks but you can always do it for the one after.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby darth emperor on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:49 am

koontz1973 wrote:So from what I am reading darth, you want the ability to buy the credits for a conquer cup, but maybe not for the next one out? But have them use it only for a conquer cup and not a premium.

Yes, but not that exactly. What I mean (well maybe I'm thinking more as a tourney prize than anything else), is like a coupon without expire date that you can trade for a Conquer Cup entry.

Do you remember when the admins, were giving away 2 free speed games to all active freemiums? Some people did spend them right away, while others decided to use it 2 years later. You decided when to use it.

Edit: While, i'm more in favour of the credits, this is more for those who wanted a more tangible gift, and not risk that the player deadbeats, because he is not there. Avoiding that someone decides to buy all the entries of a conquer cup, give to people who are not active, and then win the cup :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:54 am

So then why not just buy the credits, they have no expire date on them.

You are right though, the original idea was for tourney prizes but also as a way for players to say thanks. Many players comment no my maps with no reward. Sometimes I would like to say thanks for helping out.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby jigger1986 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:47 am

I love this idea! I think keeping it as simple as possible is best. By simply offering a 500 point purchase (which is the standard entry fee)
people could show appreciation for like $5. Whether that is used to join a conq cup game, or saved and added to current points doesnt really matter.
Sergeant 1st Class jigger1986

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions