Conquer Club

[GF] Saved Searches in Game Finder

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GF] Saved Searches in Game Finder

Postby Luke035 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:15 pm

Concise description:
  • Have the ability to save searches.

Specifics/Details:
  • This can be done by allowing users to personalize the game finder page so that the default search is something that they prefer.
  • An additional, and probably better option, is to allow users to save multiple (3-5) searches in game finder.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This would give users a more friendly experience.
Last edited by chapcrap on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updating the OP and changing the title.
Private Luke035

Postby IT3USN on Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:54 pm

I like it! maybe put game preferences in "my settings" under the personal menu. then when you went to join game, start game, or game finder, those would automatically be selected and you could change them if you wanted to tweak it a little bit. What say you andy?
Corporal 1st Class IT3USN

Postby Fieryo on Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:59 pm

even easier, on the 'Start Your Own Game' page, there could be an option to "save as default" for whatever options you happen to be in the mood for at the time.
...where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it -- "history"
Major Fieryo

Postby IT3USN on Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:21 pm

I would like to have them both......say, have them in the settings menu but have the "save as default" option in the create games (and start your own and game finder pages) as an easy change that will automatically save it in your settings.

Postby sully800 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:58 pm

I like both of these suggestions!

Perhaps you could save multiple favorite game types and have a drop down list of 3 or 5 that you could select. You could have a screen that lets you pick the options and create a name for them (which could be convenient for tournament creation)...then when you search or create a game you could select any of the saved preferred settings or do it manually like we currently do.
Major sully800

Postby IT3USN on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:15 am

I like the drop down menu idea. I have a few different types of games that I like to play and also do alot of tournaments. If I could select a few different types and name them (by tournaments or whatever) it would be really helpful. Maybe even make that apart of the tourny privs or something.

Postby casper on Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:45 am

*bump* glad to come across this thread. favorite settings for the game finder would be awesome. the favorite settings idea is great but if it's too time consuming to do, at least make the default 'waiting' as soon as possible. i don't get why 'any' is the default. fave settings could be the next step.
Major casper

Game Finder Memory

Postby edwardo2007 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:19 pm

In one's profile should be the option of specifying their favorite Game Finder variables so that, upon load of the Game Finder page, the options would be automatically selected for them. This will help players who constantly have to click the same options over every time they want to search.
Sergeant 1st Class edwardo2007

Re: Game Finder Memory

Postby yeti_c on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:37 am

edwardo2007 wrote:In one's profile should be the option of specifying their favorite Game Finder variables so that, upon load of the Game Finder page, the options would be automatically selected for them. This will help players who constantly have to click the same options over every time they want to search.

The main problem with the game finder is the lack of "back button"... (i.e. if you press it you get a "session lost" message...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Game Finder Memory

Postby Backglass on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:56 am

yeti_c wrote:The main problem with the game finder is the lack of "back button"... (i.e. if you press it you get a "session lost" message...

I believe this is actually the fault of the browser...not the webpage.
The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

'Game Finder' remembers your previous search.

Postby T7 on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi all. Whoever programs this site does a brilliant job - it's a direct and easy to use funbag! Just wanted to get that in...

Game Finder
---------------

I nearly always search for the same thing in 'Game Finder' (which is Waiting for players, Classic/Checkers, Standard, Sequential, Public).

How about if Game Finder remembers your last search so you don't need to keep dialing in the same search over and over?

Cheers!
Major T7

Postby bsbllrules on Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:16 pm

this would be quite convenient. Too build of this idea, if game finder allowed you to store a particular search. For instance, everyone is allowed to have three preferential searches. This would allow you to search for your favorite different types of games even quicker.
Sergeant bsbllrules

Postby freezie on Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:27 pm

Sounds like a great idea.
Corporal 1st Class freezie

Postby State409c on Thu May 10, 2007 8:26 am

I was about to make this same suggestion. I find myself doing the same 1-3 searches over and over again. This would be quite handy.
Major State409c

Postby firth4eva on Thu May 10, 2007 12:11 pm

ive already suggested this
Captain firth4eva

Postby stocksr on Fri May 11, 2007 5:04 am

If you are running firefox then this add in will help you

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=416011
r.
Corporal stocksr

Postby john1099 on Fri May 11, 2007 7:04 am

kinda same idea, already been suggested by me..
My idea eliminated the need for the program to remember your last search, by allowing you to check a box, and be able to join all the games that you checked.
Its on the "unclassified" to do list
hes a link : http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=402572
Thanks,
John
GunnaRoolsUDrool wrote:yo mama has 3 titties, ones for milk, ones for water, ones out of order
Sergeant 1st Class john1099

Suggestion: Saving searches in Game Finder

Postby Floppie on Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:24 am

The title should pretty much sum this up. It gets kind of tedious trying to narrow down the open games selection using the search because it takes several minutes of checking maps and options every time I want to do it.

My suggestion to improve on this is to give us a way to save a handful of searches.

Beacuse new maps and options are regularly added, it would probably be best if clicking on a saved search would reload the search page with the saved options selected. This would allow the user to edit the search to include new maps they like and so on.
Corporal 1st Class Floppie

"Find other games like this" link

Postby Tyrion81 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:10 pm

I couldn't find a suggestion like this so here goes.

I was thinking that in the "My Games" lists or perhaps on the actual game screen with the map you could have a link somewhere which says "Find other games like this".... This link would take you to the game finder results page showing all other games that are the exact same game type and map that you clicked the link from and that are awaiting players.

I know this would be handy for me because I often like to play similar game types to games that I've just completed (or am still active in) and it can be a bit tedious going to the game finder all the time and filling in all the options.

From a coding perspective this should be fairly simple to implement and would actually be useful. I can't really see any downsides to this suggestion.

Idea stolen from eBay :D
Corporal 1st Class Tyrion81

Postby misterman10 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:25 pm

theres a greasemonkey script where you can save searches for game finder, its really helpful

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8801
its the save searches script by stocksr
Pleasant Chaps still suck cock.

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Postby Tyrion81 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:15 am

Hey misterman,

I have seen that actually... I just figured this could be a small, easy one to integrate, especially for those of us who can't be bothered with Greasemonkey :D
Corporal 1st Class Tyrion81

Postby ATHFmeatwad on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:29 pm

I agree, that would be good. Or a sort feature so that you could list the games by type, sequence... so on. I've spent some time looking for those classic, sequential, flat rate games.
Private 1st Class ATHFmeatwad

Game Finder (saved searches)

Postby jwrules547 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:53 pm

Anyway you can set it up to save your settings for "Game Finder"
Everytime i have to click 7 or 8 boxes to look for a game.
Also sometimes i do it fast and click one wrong box ending up in a game i didn't want to be in.

Thanks
Major jwrules547

Postby misterman10 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:05 pm

yes, there is a script that lets you save searches, you need firefox though

here it is
its the saved searches script
Pleasant Chaps still suck cock.

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Postby lalaland on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:45 pm

misterman10 wrote:yes, there is a script that lets you save searches, you need firefox though

here it is
its the saved searches script

won't work with the new AJAX, will it?
I worship the dice gods
Image Image
Private 1st Class lalaland

Next

Return to Suggestions