Conquer Club

[Rules] Tutorial for New Players

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Tutorial for new players

Postby Darwins_Bane on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:We already have a few Auto-PMs sent out. If I recall correctly:

Upon first Joining Conquer Club (the user is also brought to an introductory page explaining the website I think)
Upon first Promotion
Upon Joining a Speed Game

There may be a few others as well. Lack has the info.

--Andy

So then what we really need is to set up either an area of the forums or somethign that can be used to give this new tutorial....and then tell them about it or direct them to it.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby azezzo on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:33 am

AndyDufresne wrote:We already have a few Auto-PMs sent out. If I recall correctly:

Upon first Joining Conquer Club (the user is also brought to an introductory page explaining the website I think)
Upon first Promotion
Upon Joining a Speed Game

There may be a few others as well. Lack has the info.

--Andy

andy could you be so kind as to go into more detail, I tried to pm lackattack for more info on the subject, but received a message that the web master does not accept messages from the great unwashed.
thanks
Captain azezzo

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:51 am

slowreactor wrote:
jefjef wrote:How about non-point tutorial games vs. CC servers?

First, good luck getting a bot that can teach someone the intricacies of CC. Second, before someone suggests that SoC should take in all incoming recruits for a few learning games, they WILL be overloaded if they do.

I agree that a true automated tutorial, would be difficult. However, what about a MUCH simplified version of the cook's training classes?

That is, while they certainly teach how to play standard boards as well as basic strategy, not everyone wants to go through that process before they just start playing. Also, while those who are able and willing to teach real strategy are few, most people are happy to explain "here is how bonuses work on this map", here is how a bombardment works, etc".

What about creating a forum only for new people, with games begun by volunteer mentors who will play AND teach while playing (no need to wait to play yourself, etc). The limit would be 2 games on any map. IN fact, I would go further and have a smattering of maps with different play styles (some with bombardments, a conquest map, some of the unusual maps like Arms Race!, etc.) Volunteers could agree to keep open maps with either 1 vs 1 or 4 players. After 2 maps, the person would have to enroll in the cook's classrooms to learn more.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:18 am

azezzo wrote:Suggest that C.C. create a tutorial of all the great features that are available, for new players as well as for all the casual players here.

New players should be made aware of plug ins and add ons as well as how different game options increase the degree of difficulty.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:

1)player retention, fewer new players would quit out of being taken advantage of(farmed)
2)fewer reports of cheating and abuse made by players who know nothing of clickable maps
3)this would help create a more even playing field for all members

I might be misunderstanding what you mean by "features".

I think it would be great, for example, if new players could find out about the "clickies" and so forth (even though they are not officially a part of CC), how fog works, etc.

However, I think a real automated tutorial would just be too complex. (though maybe not....)
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Woodruff on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:18 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
azezzo wrote:Suggest that C.C. create a tutorial of all the great features that are available, for new players as well as for all the casual players here.

New players should be made aware of plug ins and add ons as well as how different game options increase the degree of difficulty.

1)player retention, fewer new players would quit out of being taken advantage of(farmed)
2)fewer reports of cheating and abuse made by players who know nothing of clickable maps

I like this suggestiong, (Cook's forum or Strategy section would be good places), but if you want it read, you need to use the form.

The problem here is that if someone doesn't ever go to the forums, they don't know about the Cook or Strategy forums.

I believe all new people are now given pms about this.
At some point, you can offer the spoon, but they have to pick it up themselves.

Hmmm...my son just joined the site, but he didn't get that PM. Perhaps it doesn't happen until sometime later?

EDIT: Ah, I see now that Night Strike says it happens after five games. Why not do it upon joining?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Strife on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Woodruff wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

I like this suggestiong, (Cook's forum or Strategy section would be good places), but if you want it read, you need to use the form.

The problem here is that if someone doesn't ever go to the forums, they don't know about the Cook or Strategy forums.

I believe all new people are now given pms about this.
At some point, you can offer the spoon, but they have to pick it up themselves.

Hmmm...my son just joined the site, but he didn't get that PM. Perhaps it doesn't happen until sometime later?

EDIT: Ah, I see now that Night Strike says it happens after five games. Why not do it upon joining?
Why waste the time and auto-generated messages on potential quitters, I guess. I assume that after those five games they assume they're addicted or showed a little bit of commitment, so they get some more server space.
Corporal Strife

Postby Woodruff on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Strife wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Hmmm...my son just joined the site, but he didn't get that PM. Perhaps it doesn't happen until sometime later?

Why waste the time and auto-generated messages on potential quitters, I guess. I assume that after those five games they assume they're addicted or showed a little bit of commitment, so they get some more server space.

You're probably right on that. By the same token, if they'd just figure a method that would allow them to delete users (a situation which seems laughable to me), this wouldn't be a problem.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Welcome to Conquer Club!! (educational letter)

Postby alex951 on Fri May 14, 2010 10:39 am

Concise description:
  • Educational letter for new recruits

• This should be one of the first letters new recruits get after joining cc. Most people leave because they don't have a clear understanding on what they're doing.

Subject: Welcome!

Welcome to Conquer Club! You have just joined the best online strategy gaming community and we would like your experience to be fun and rewarding. Before you begin your first game there are some useful things you should be aware of.

1) You might find getting started a little confusing. Here is a helpful link with information on the Instructions. You can also find this information by clicking the instruction tap near the top of the screen.

2) Conquer Club allows you to use different tools to enhance the game play and overall experience. The Users Guide To CC Tools And Enhancements will explain how to install different add-ons/plug-ins

3) Losing too many game? Feel like your strategies could use some refining? visit the Society of the Cooks fourm for help.

We hope you find your experience here at Conquer Cub fun. Good luck and may the dice be with you!

P.S. To Play a real time game (RT) try using the Live Chat to set up a game with another user for quick back to back turns. Please do not make a second account just to play more games!! You WILL get caught and you WILL be BANNED from the site
Last edited by alex951 on Mon May 17, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal alex951

Re: Welcome to Conquer Club!! (educational letter)

Postby alex951 on Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 am

I don't remember getting something like this when I joined
Corporal alex951

Postby JoshyBoy on Fri May 21, 2010 3:55 pm

This sounds like a great idea. A PM with the most useful pointers to set all players on the right tracks.

I would highly reccommend something like this:

Engage with the Conquer Club community here on the Forum.

That would hopefully get a larger percentage of all CC'ers onto the Forums.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Night Strike on Fri May 21, 2010 4:44 pm

There are a series of PMs new members get at various times during their first several games on the site. I believe all this information is included in at least one of those PMs. You may not have gotten them when you were a new member because they may not have been as detailed as they are now (I know the Society of Cooks wasn't public when you joined).
Major Night Strike

Postby alex951 on Fri May 21, 2010 5:23 pm

Night Strike wrote:There are a series of PMs new members get at various times during their first several games on the site. I believe all this information is included in at least one of those PMs. You may not have gotten them when you were a new member because they may not have been as detailed as they are now (I know the Society of Cooks wasn't public when you joined).

what are they? the only thing i remember is the first game, first turn pm's
Corporal alex951

Postby jefjef on Fri May 21, 2010 5:33 pm

This is a fantastic idea! Created by and supported by

PAGANS
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Army of GOD on Fri May 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Army of GOD approves this message.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Woodruff on Fri May 21, 2010 6:19 pm

Well shit...we've got the Pagans and the Army of God in favor...who else is there?

Postby jefjef on Fri May 21, 2010 7:01 pm

Woodruff wrote:Well shit...we've got the Pagans and the Army of God in favor...who else is there?

AoG is PAGAN
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Woodruff on Fri May 21, 2010 8:56 pm

jefjef wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Well shit...we've got the Pagans and the Army of God in favor...who else is there?

AoG is PAGAN

Clans weren't at all what I was referring to.

Postby jefjef on Fri May 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Woodruff wrote:
jefjef wrote:

AoG is PAGAN

Neither was I.

Now to stay on topic I believe spock is also showing his support for this.
Colonel jefjef

Postby Woodruff on Fri May 21, 2010 10:49 pm

jefjef wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
jefjef wrote:

AoG is PAGAN

Neither was I.

Now to stay on topic I believe spock is also showing his support for this.

I am in favor of this being implemented (in approximately four years, at best guess).

Postby Army of GOD on Sat May 22, 2010 3:32 am

jefjef wrote:...[God] is PAGAN

Who's up for some paraphrasing?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby alex951 on Tue May 25, 2010 6:34 pm

i really think this will help out new recruits here on cc
Corporal alex951

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Tue May 25, 2010 9:47 pm

alex951 wrote:i really think this will help out new recruits here on cc

Night Strike wrote:There are a series of PMs new members get at various times during their first several games on the site. I believe all this information is included in at least one of those PMs. You may not have gotten them when you were a new member because they may not have been as detailed as they are now (I know the Society of Cooks wasn't public when you joined).
Sergeant 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby eddie2 on Wed May 26, 2010 9:56 am

could you also add a farmers list as will cut that out as well
Lieutenant eddie2

Postby jefjef on Wed May 26, 2010 10:36 am

eddie2 wrote:could you also add a farmers list as will cut that out as well

A farmers list? You mean a list of people to watch out for?

Perhaps add you to it as a person they should foe.

NO. Get real.
Colonel jefjef

Postby eddie2 on Wed May 26, 2010 11:20 am

jefjef wrote:
eddie2 wrote:could you also add a farmers list as will cut that out as well

A farmers list? You mean a list of people to watch out for?

Perhaps add you to it as a person they should foe.

NO. Get real.

lollollollolllollolllolllollloll now what was your username ow yes double standards
Lieutenant eddie2

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions