Conquer Club

[Rules] Tutorial for New Players

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: New Recruits vs. Computer

Postby sailorseal on Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:41 pm

blakebowling wrote:
Koganosi wrote:
Jeff Hardy wrote:this sucks?

Hard.

No way i want to see this implanted. It seems to be hard making also. Real players involves strategy. So play them if u dont have strategie this aint the game for u.

Urs

Koganosi.

Again.. I don't think they should play all five games against AI, but playing one single first game vs AI would give them a chance to learn how the game worked, no points would be switched, and it wouldn't count towards their 5 games to get off new recruit.

That sounds good what does everyone else think?
Cook sailorseal

Postby oVo on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:59 pm

Playing against a computer just for the heck of it is ok,
but making it a requirement for recruits is just dumb.

Human error is part of the game.
Major oVo

Postby Teflon Kris on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:17 pm

Not the worst idea ever.

Amendment: maybe worth implementing if new recruits have the option of playing AI first game?

Problem: would it be worth the programming needed?
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby GrimReaper. on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:21 pm

or maybe a quick mock up round with instructions on how to play your turn. but a full length game no
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby sailorseal on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:29 pm

GrimReaper. wrote:or maybe a quick mock up round with instructions on how to play your turn. but a full length game no

Ya! Like in other games they have tutorial scenarios, maybe that
Cook sailorseal

Re: New Recruits have tutorial scenarios

Postby GrimReaper. on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:44 pm

be more specific like this. At first the new recruit will be put through a "training scenario" in a game, obviously there will be rigged dice. So the player can be told the defense and offense dice. however they will also learn how to use the control panel how to pm and how to post in the forum
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby GrimReaper. on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:07 pm

anything more to add?
Private GrimReaper.

Postby TheBro on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:26 pm

New Recruits are only allowed to play other New Recruits.
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
Colonel TheBro

Postby Joodoo on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:02 am

learning through mistakes and interacting with human players are often considered quite effective, but I wouldn't see any harm in this being an option
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby ubersky on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:45 pm

What about a simple map (like 10 territs) that can be played against neutrals so show how the mechanics of the system work? Maybe make one that looks similar to the geography of the earth, and then a few with odd geography and introduce rules like bombardment, one way reinforcement, and other odd map items.

Playing against Neutral is not AI, so simple to implement. You would only have to make a mechanism to allow the game to proceed when there is only one player (victory condition is player must own all territs).

I'm not saying people can't learn for themselves, but lots of other sites/games have the idea of an "incubation room" for new players before releasing them into the wild.
Lieutenant ubersky

Tutorial for new players

Postby azezzo on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:21 am

Suggest that C.C. create a tutorial of all the great features that are available, for new players as well as for all the casual players here.

New players should be made aware of plug ins and add ons as well as how different game options increase the degree of difficulty.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:

1)player retention, fewer new players would quit out of being taken advantage of(farmed)
2)fewer reports of cheating and abuse made by players who know nothing of clickable maps
3)this would help create a more even playing field for all members
Captain azezzo

Re: Tutorial for new players

Postby Woodruff on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:46 pm

azezzo wrote:Suggest that C.C. create a tutorial of all the great features that are available, for new players as well as for all the casual players here.
New players should be made aware of plug ins and add ons as well as how different game options increase the degree of difficulty.
1)player retention, fewer new players would quit out of being taken advantage of(farmed)
2)fewer reports of cheating and abuse made by players who know nothing of clickable maps

A good idea. There needs to be a place to PUT the tutorial where the new users would see it, however. Perhaps an auto-PM telling them about it?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:53 pm

azezzo wrote:Suggest that C.C. create a tutorial of all the great features that are available, for new players as well as for all the casual players here.

I like this suggestiong, (Cook's forum or Strategy section would be good places), but if you want it read, you need to use the form.

That is, the template that first appears when you click "new post" in Suggs and Bugs.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Strife on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:58 pm

I remember awhile ago, a year or so(around the time we had the banner comp.), someone suggested something similar. I believe the result was a few videos by players and someone said they were working on a flash of it. Not sure what happened to that, but it's a great idea indeed.
Corporal Strife

Postby jefjef on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:13 pm

How about non-point tutorial games vs. CC servers?
Colonel jefjef

Postby Woodruff on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:37 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:

I like this suggestiong, (Cook's forum or Strategy section would be good places), but if you want it read, you need to use the form.

The problem here is that if someone doesn't ever go to the forums, they don't know about the Cook or Strategy forums.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby azezzo on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:41 pm

why not make it a mandatory viewing, b4 the 1st game is played?

and that idea about practice games against a computer is a great idea too.
Captain azezzo

Postby slowreactor on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:42 pm

jefjef wrote:How about non-point tutorial games vs. CC servers?

First, good luck getting a bot that can teach someone the intricacies of CC. Second, before someone suggests that SoC should take in all incoming recruits for a few learning games, they WILL be overloaded if they do.
Colonel slowreactor

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:23 am

Woodruff wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

The problem here is that if someone doesn't ever go to the forums, they don't know about the Cook or Strategy forums.

I believe all new people are now given pms about this.

At some point, you can offer the spoon, but they have to pick it up themselves.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Night Strike on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:39 am

Woodruff wrote:The problem here is that if someone doesn't ever go to the forums, they don't know about the Cook or Strategy forums.

I'm pretty sure that when the Society of Cooks went public, lack installed an automatic PM to send to players when they finished their 5th game telling them about the Society. I'd have to go dig through conversations about the changes to find proof, or you could ask a Society Mod.
Major Night Strike

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:The problem here is that if someone doesn't ever go to the forums, they don't know about the Cook or Strategy forums.

I'm pretty sure that when the Society of Cooks went public, lack installed an automatic PM to send to players when they finished their 5th game telling them about the Society. I'd have to go dig through conversations about the changes to find proof, or you could ask a Society Mod.

If so, I would think it should be given when they FIRST join... with perhaps the addendum that they need to play 5 games first.

Actually, the more I think of this particular idea, the more I think it just won't work. I am going to suggest a competing suggestion
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby trinicardinal on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Woodruff wrote:

A good idea. There needs to be a place to PUT the tutorial where the new users would see it, however. Perhaps an auto-PM telling them about it?

I like this.... especially in conjunction with the auto-PM idea
10:16:35 ‹Ace Rimmer› haven't looked at work in ages
10:42:43 ‹Sackett58› fine, I'll take my panties elsewhere
Captain trinicardinal

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:11 pm

Long ago we tried to make a tutorial---however it fell flat because of the sheer magnitude of the everything. Perhaps a user-started or user-driven initiative could get off to a better start?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Darwins_Bane on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:16 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Long ago we tried to make a tutorial---however it fell flat because of the sheer magnitude of the everything. Perhaps a user-started or user-driven initiative could get off to a better start?

--Andy

is there some way that you can auto pm new players? because then perhaps you could have someone or some people running the tutorial and then the pm would direct them to it and tell them a couple other basic things about the site.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:19 pm

We already have a few Auto-PMs sent out. If I recall correctly:

Upon first Joining Conquer Club (the user is also brought to an introductory page explaining the website I think)
Upon first Promotion
Upon Joining a Speed Game

There may be a few others as well. Lack has the info.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions