Conquer Club

[XML] Killer neutrals being part of bonus

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: [XML] Killer neutrals being part of bonus

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:29 am

When given the choice between a new tag and changing gameplay mechanics, I'd opt for the former. Changing the way bonuses, etc. are calculated shouldn't be done just to enable a new feature, unless everyone agrees that it's the right thing for all future maps.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:When given the choice between a new tag and changing gameplay mechanics, I'd opt for the former. Changing the way bonuses, etc. are calculated shouldn't be done just to enable a new feature, unless everyone agrees that it's the right thing for all future maps.

This is a really good point. Do we want this to effect all future maps as well. It might be a good idea to make it an xml feature. A different kind of killer but I will leave that to kabs. This is his idea and what he decides, I will go for it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:31 am

Well, I think the first choice seems the easiest and simpler.
As I don't see any way in which the older maps could be affected by it (KN will still be KN, and they are not part of continents unless you add them), I'd totally support it :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 am

Kabanellas wrote:Well, I think the first choice seems the easiest and simpler.
As I don't see any way in which the older maps could be affected by it (KN will still be KN, and they are not part of continents unless you add them), I'd totally support it :)

Kabs, get the first post updated then with exactly what you want seen done. Which as far as I can see is to have a change in the way the xml is read. when done, the suggestion guys should be happy enough to bung this back to the boss man.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby chapcrap on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:02 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Kabanellas wrote:Well, I think the first choice seems the easiest and simpler.

Kabs, get the first post updated then with exactly what you want seen done. Which as far as I can see is to have a change in the way the xml is read. when done, the suggestion guys should be happy enough to bung this back to the boss man.

+1 ;)
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby degaston on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:58 pm

Kabs initial request seems clear enough to me. He asked for killer neutrals to work within continents. How it's done - as an XML change, or as a change in the game processing sequence, should probably be decided by the higher ups and/or whoever is going to code it. KN's should have worked that way from the start, because there is no reason to put one in a continent if that would mean that no one could ever hold it for even one round.

There is another way it could be done that might also help with future XML changes. If a <version> tag was added to the start of the XML file specifying which version it was written for, then the game code for previous versions could be locked, and new features would be guaranteed to have no effect on anything that came before it. If the tag is not there, it would be assumed to be for version 1.0. With this, XML and game engine changes would be easier to implement, and tags could be updated or retired as needed without concern for maintaining backwards compatibility.
universalchiro wrote:@degaston: whatever dude you win, you have it all figured out. You have out smarted even God.
Brigadier degaston

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:05 am

degaston wrote:There is another way it could be done that might also help with future XML changes. If a <version> tag was added to the start of the XML file specifying which version it was written for, then the game code for previous versions could be locked, and new features would be guaranteed to have no effect on anything that came before it. If the tag is not there, it would be assumed to be for version 1.0. With this, XML and game engine changes would be easier to implement, and tags could be updated or retired as needed without concern for maintaining backwards compatibility.

Version control for the XML is actually a pretty good idea and something we should consider separately. Can I encourage you to make a separate thread?
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby degaston on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:17 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
degaston wrote:There is another way it could be done that might also help with future XML changes. If a <version> tag was added to the start of the XML file specifying which version it was written for, then the game code for previous versions could be locked, and new features would be guaranteed to have no effect on anything that came before it. If the tag is not there, it would be assumed to be for version 1.0. With this, XML and game engine changes would be easier to implement, and tags could be updated or retired as needed without concern for maintaining backwards compatibility.

Version control for the XML is actually a pretty good idea and something we should consider separately. Can I encourage you to make a separate thread?

Done.
universalchiro wrote:@degaston: whatever dude you win, you have it all figured out. You have out smarted even God.
Brigadier degaston

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:13 pm

great idea!
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:32 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Kabs, get the first post updated then with exactly what you want seen done. Which as far as I can see is to have a change in the way the xml is read. when done, the suggestion guys should be happy enough to bung this back to the boss man.

first post updated :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:05 am

I reckon this is not going to get any better now. Any person down the line that does not want killers to be part of a bonus can still have that, and any person that does can. Also, as it is now, no current maps are going to be effected at all as no map currently has the KN in a bonus region.

Can I ask the suggestions team to push this back up the chain please from where it once was.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby chapcrap on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 am

SUBMITTED
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:10 pm

chapcrap wrote:SUBMITTED

We in the foundry blue thank you for your kindness. May the map gods shine a light onto you and all of your offspring.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:20 am

Amen!!!
Major Kabanellas

Previous

Return to Suggestions