Conquer Club

[GC] Choose Which Position (Color) to Join in a Game

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: [GP/UI] Choose Which Position (Color) to Join in a Game

Postby Vlasov on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:06 am

Let me try to get this straight:

Each player may create a list of favorite colors as part of their profile. Join order determines the actual selection when people join a game, based on a simple preference algorithm.

Scenario: Player A and Player B both love Violet the most, and Red second-most. Player A creates a game and is automatically Violet. Player B joins next, but his color will default to Red, his 2nd choice. Player C joins, and if he happens to also love Violet and Red, he will be assigned his THIRD choice.

Well, what if Player A loves Violet (she's such a pretty girl!) but he doesn't usually start games, or he's worried that someone else might get Violet before he does? He can list Violet as his 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice, etc. If he joins at the right time, he will get Violet if she isn't already taken. If she is, he gets his next-best choice.

Regarding Bot games: Currently the Bot is always Green (although I think that should be randomized; different topic). The player would automatically get his favorite color, as long as it's not Green.

Obviously there's no way to avoid some degree of randomness, especially since "Color Preference" would be an optional part of one's profile. Many players wouldn't use it. Others might choose the most popular "basic" colors (red, yellow, green, blue) as their favorites, just to screw with the algorithm. Or they could choose the newer colors (drab, silver, etc.).... personally, I have a hard time distinguishing Green from Drab.

Just watch out, you guys! Stay away from Violet -- she's mine! (She's a very pretty girl...)
Major Vlasov

Game starter allowed to pick own color

Postby kirincat on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:46 pm

I really do not like red, and really don't want to be that color, however when you start a game that is the color you get as the 1st player on the list. I would really appreciate a feature where the person starting the game can select their color. It would not have to reorder the list, the starter would just be put into the slot for the particular color that they choose and the 2nd player to sign up would be assigned red. I am sure that others would like the ability to pick their favorite color from the available slots as well, so I could see this being expanded over time if it works out.
Lieutenant kirincat

Postby spiesr on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Captain spiesr

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:57 am

Do we have choose a color yet?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Re: [GC] Choose Which Position (Color) to Join in a Game

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:43 pm

do we have choose a color yet?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby jmyork82 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Is it possible to adjust it where you just click the desired position you want to be in the game?
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby JamesKer1 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:48 pm

jmyork82 wrote:Is it possible to adjust it where you just click the desired position you want to be in the game?

That's what the suggestion is currently.

If implemented, it will hopefully be in a form that allows you to choose from a magnitude of colors upon entering, and then blocking off certain ones as to not clash with your opponents.

That way in a two player game, you aren't confined to red and green.
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby jmyork82 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:29 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:
jmyork82 wrote:Is it possible to adjust it where you just click the desired position you want to be in the game?

That's what the suggestion is currently.

If implemented, it will hopefully be in a form that allows you to choose from a magnitude of colors upon entering, and then blocking off certain ones as to not clash with your opponents.

That way in a two player game, you aren't confined to red and green.

That was a dumb question now that I re-read the post. I got caught up in skimming responses :?

Well, I for one think it would be a great idea. +1
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby -1-1-3- on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:01 am

-1-1-3- deadly in pink
Colonel -1-1-3-

Postby IcePack on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:53 am

I really strongly oppose this for team games.
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby jmyork82 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:18 pm

IcePack wrote:I really strongly oppose this for team games.

I understand why you are saying that and I agree with your reasoning. If implemented properly, you wouldnt have to worry about confusion of what colors are with what team.

For example: Quads Team 1 will always be the first 4 colors as they have always been, but you can choose within those 1st 4 colors which one you want to be by selecting the position in that team. So if I wanted to be blue, I would HAVE TO be on team 1, I would just select the third slot when I join the game.

Is that kinda what you were worried about?
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby IcePack on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:45 pm

jmyork82 wrote:

I understand why you are saying that and I agree with your reasoning. If implemented properly, you wouldnt have to worry about confusion of what colors are with what team.

For example: Quads Team 1 will always be the first 4 colors as they have always been, but you can choose within those 1st 4 colors which one you want to be by selecting the position in that team. So if I wanted to be blue, I would HAVE TO be on team 1, I would just select the third slot when I join the game.

If it doens't change play order (alway red, then pink, then green etc etc) and it doesn't shift the colors from team to team or change the order, then it would be less worrisome and i wouldn't be so strongly opposed, for sure.
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby jmyork82 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:49 am

IcePack wrote:
jmyork82 wrote:

If it doens't change play order (alway red, then pink, then green etc etc) and it doesn't shift the colors from team to team or change the order, then it would be less worrisome and i wouldn't be so strongly opposed, for sure.

The way I picture it in my mind, it would not change play order or color order at all on any game. The colors would be fixed the way that they always have been, you can just choose which color slot you want to be in the game. You would never see red and silver or red and pink on the same team. It would only allow you to choose the colors among the team, based on which game slot you click on.

So if my buddy started a Quads game and I wanted to be blue, I would click a join button next to the 3rd slot in the game and we play on the same team. If I wanted to be silver, I would have to join team 2 and play against him.

That's how I visualize this working. It allows for players to choose a color if they wish and doesn't screw with the team colors.

What do you think?
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:21 am

Army of GOD wrote:do we have choose a color yet?

Yes, but only in Collisseum games. Just keep refreshing until you get the color you like.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby jmyork82 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:28 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:do we have choose a color yet?

Yes, but only in Collisseum games. Just keep refreshing until you get the color you like.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lieutenant jmyork82

Previous

Return to Suggestions