Conquer Club

[GO] Unlimited Adjacent Fortification

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Adjacent forts

Postby Downey on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:16 pm

You'd have to put in a rule that you can't move troops from a place that already had troops moved in. Otherwise people could travel the board one territory at a time with the provision that the territories are adjacent.
Private Downey

Postby sully800 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:42 pm

I do like this suggestion, and it was suggested before in a relatively long thread if I remember correctly. Let me search for it to see if it matches your intended suggestion as I think it does.
Major sully800

Postby sully800 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:44 pm

Well here you go, but judging by the rejected title it doesn't look like this is a very good prospect. Read through this thread to see why it was rejected.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61323&hilit=adjacent+fortifications
Major sully800

Postby gundiesalvo on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:25 pm

I guess this is why...

lackattack wrote:Too hard to program.

Now, I know next to nothing about programming, but if you set the value of the amount of armies on each territory as a base value when you start the reinforcing round, and then on the reinforcing round you are able to move as many units as the original value -1 out of a territory and into the next one for as many times as you want, without adding to the base values of the territories reinforced, but just extracting from the territories where the units came from, and then when you hit the "end reinforcement" button the values are added?

I don't know If I'm just talking stupidly here, since as I said, I know nothing about programming or about how this game is made, but I'm just hoping there's a way to do this, because it's a more realistic way to play a warfare game. Of course, the most realistic way would be both Adjacent Attack and Adjacent Reinforcements, and as I see there's a thread going on about adjacent attacks, and it seems like it's already on test stage, maybe if the adjacent reinforcements setting gets done we can have a "full adjacent" game, which would be awesome because it'd be over 90% strategy, leaving the luck more to the side.

Who knows...
BeakerWMA wrote:Maybe programming has come far enough since it was first suggested to make it doable! :)

Anyway, seems like this is unlikely to happen, but we can only hope one day it'll be possible.
Corporal gundiesalvo

Postby sully800 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:38 pm

Yeah lack said it was too hard to program very early in the life of this site. I think we have added much more complicated features since then, especially when you consider all of the new xml possibilities that used to be shrugged off as impossible
Major sully800

Postby gundiesalvo on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm guessing if the adjacent attacks setting can be done, then it should be possible to do the unlimited adjacent forts as well, it's basically the same thing, just one during the attack phase and one during the reinforcement phase.
Corporal gundiesalvo

Unlimited Adjacent Reinforcements(not what you think)

Postby Beinion on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:56 pm

Concise description:
  • Ok... so at this point most of you are probably thinking that this would make no sense because it would ultimately have the same results as normal unlimited reinforcements... However, this isn't what I mean... I just called it that for lack of a better name... ;)
    So... what would this be? Basically... you can move every army ONCE to an adjacent territory. For example, You have 5 troops on #1 territory which connects to #2 and #3... Like normal adjacent reinforcements, you could move 4 troops from #1 to either #2 or #3. Unlike normal adjacent reinforcements, you could move, for example, 2 to #2 and 2 to #3. Then you could not move these troops again. HOWEVER, you could still move troops on other parts of the board one time as well.

Specifics:
  • I'll just explain it a different way... In the reinforcement phase, each territory has X-1 "Free" troops when X signifies the total amount of troops. Each of these Free troops can move once adjacently and they then revert to "Restrained" troops. Reinforcement ends when the player clicks the end reinforcement button or when all troops become Restrained.
    So, basically, it could create a wave or string like movement... You could have your whole defense line advance at one time or you could in like, Fuedal Wars, have a "supply string" that keeps getting "pulled" forward one step each turn.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • It would result in new strategies for all maps as well as create very changed styles of play for maps that have auto-deploy places(such as Fuedal Wars)
  • It would improve the normal adjacent option (though that would still be an option)
Lieutenant Beinion

Re: Unlimited Adjacent Reinforcements(not what you think)

Postby Mr_Adams on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:41 pm

previously suggested
Captain Mr_Adams

Re: Unlimited Adjacent Reinforcements(not what you think)

Postby Beinion on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:28 am

I see...
Lieutenant Beinion

Re: Unlimited Adjacent Fortification *Rejected*

Postby Grifter on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:12 pm

I like this idea. I hope that as new features are added to XML script in the future that this might be possible to code. From a user perspective once troops are moved into a territory then they cannot be moved out. This would limit movement to just the adjacent territory.
Lieutenant Grifter

Postby Teflon Kris on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:58 pm

It would be handy if people who aren't intelligent enough to understand the suggestion refrain from commenting further than to state that the idea is 'too complicated' etc.

Similarly, it would be equally handy for those who simply dont like the suggestion refrain from commenting as this is an additional option which they can choose not to choose.

And thirdly, it would also be handy if those who aren't responsible for programming of the game again refrain from claiming that "the coding isn't possible" etc.

Which leaves us with the question: Is this an additional option worth adding?

Some people would find it complicated, others would find it a more strategic alternative to 'chained unlimited' (which is what we currently have).

Personally, I would prefer something like 'double adjacent' and 'double chained' - and surely most players would be able to understand that?

However, unlimited adjacent is the most realistic type of reinforcement when we are playing a war game with troops. In a real war, generals would not have the restriction of moving only one set of troops accross one border (adjacent). However, they would have the geographical restriction that it is not possible to move troops half-way around the globe (chained or unlimited chained). Unlimited adjacent means each individual troop can move accross one border - much more tru to life.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby maasman on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:46 pm

I play this at home all the time and really enjoy it :D
Colonel maasman

Fortifications....

Postby Keredrex on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:49 am

Maybe this has been mentioned but was wondering if anyone thought of new Fortification options...

I think we could use an Unlimited Adjacent option.
basically, giving all troops a 1 territory movement rate during fortification.
kind of a weaker form of unlimited fortifications.

Thoughts?

or maybe think of ot this way....

Unlimited Adjacent Fortifications

Basically same rule as Adjacent... but it can be done multiple times on your turn. trick is that when a fortification is made between 2 territories, that would be the end of movement for those troops. that way you can't run a continuous line as it is in Chained fortifications.
Last edited by Keredrex on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Re: Fortifications....

Postby chapcrap on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:47 pm

I'm obviously in favor.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155485
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Criticalwinner on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:55 am

Just check out the thread posted. For what it's worth, I'm all for it!
Sergeant 1st Class Criticalwinner

Postby Keredrex on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:14 pm

a new thought for Unlimited Adjacent Fortifications

Basically same rule as Adjacent... but it can be done multiple times on your turn. trick is that when a fortification is made between 2 territories, that would be the end of movement for those troops. that way you can't run a continuous line as it is in Chained fortifications.
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Re:

Postby Crazy Frog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:34 pm

Evil Semp wrote:It is an interesting idea but probably real confusing during game play.

I always like it when someone disagrees witha an idea it is "dumb." Why can't people give other people the same respect that they receive? Maybe that would be to much to expect.

Your Right Semp.... its because they are the real.... ~Dumby~ :o :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class Crazy Frog

Re: Unlimited Adjacent Fortification

Postby chapcrap on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:39 pm

I think I made a suggestion like this a little bit ago, but I didn't see this!

Please do it already!!
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Crazy Frog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:42 pm

I would give the idea a +/- rating.. it has some points... it is a midway between Unlimited and Adjacent.

Looking at the idea however... We could also do this in a similar way by Opening up the Adjacent fort.... to being able to do several adjacent forts... just not from the same troops or locations.

My Example.
IF you move 10 troops from California to Nevada Both California and Nevada are finished moving for this turn... but if you want to move some other troops from say Arizona... they could be moved... even to Nevada... But again.. Nevada, by receiving troops has become a staging point and cannot forward or use troops until next round.
Sergeant 1st Class Crazy Frog

Postby Doobie Keebler on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:02 pm

I logged on to make this very suggestion, and found it here
It is the way we played the board game RISK when we were kids.
Reinforcing a short distance in many/all theaters is far more realistic
I also would choose to play this format most often if/when available.
Private 1st Class Doobie Keebler

Postby chapcrap on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Two things that I had been thinking about this suggestion:
  1. I know there is another thread somewhere that needs merged. I'll try to find it if I get time.
  2. I feel like this is so similar to trench attacks that it should be easier to code by using the same type of idea from that code. This can really be thought of as unlimited trench forts. Same concept as attacking. I may be wrong about that making it easier, but that's how it seemed to me.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Chap, I could've sworn we had this conversation in one of the threads before:

Someone else: "Well, the real problem is that this would require the game to keep track of where all the troops are at the start of a phase"
[Then CC implemented Adjacent Attacks (Trench)]
Me: "Well this problem seems to be solved."
You: "Indeed"

So I think that there is another version of this floating around out there.
Colonel agentcom

Postby chapcrap on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:49 pm

agentcom wrote:Chap, I could've sworn we had this conversation in one of the threads before:

Someone else: "Well, the real problem is that this would require the game to keep track of where all the troops are at the start of a phase"
[Then CC implemented Adjacent Attacks (Trench)]
Me: "Well this problem seems to be solved."
You: "Indeed"

So I think that there is another version of this floating around out there.

'Indeed' does seem like something I would say...
Lieutenant chapcrap

Unlimited adjacent reinforcement

Postby BENCLUB on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:56 am

Concise description:
  • If you want a realist mode of war, the best mode will be not Unlimited/Chained/Adjacent mode, but a mix of 2 mode; Adjacent and Unlimited

Specifics/Details:
  • Each player could reinforce their territory with their respective neighbour

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This mode will be the most reallist mode
Major BENCLUB

Re: Unlimited adjacent reinforcement

Postby greenoaks on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:28 am

so this would just be Unlimited
Sergeant greenoaks

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions