Conquer Club

he took out his partner!

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

he took out his partner!

Postby iwatawood on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:58 am

I am playing in a doubles game where one player just took out his partner to get her spoils. I'm relatively new to doubles play, but I've always thought that the goal was for BOTH of you to win and for the partners to help each other with reinforcements and strategic attacks etc. I was wondering if this is a strategy, I can't imagine it's effective!
Sergeant iwatawood

Re: he took out his partner!

Postby Topsy on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 am

iwatawood wrote:I am playing in a doubles game where one player just took out his partner to get her spoils. I'm relatively new to doubles play, but I've always thought that the goal was for BOTH of you to win and for the partners to help each other with reinforcements and strategic attacks etc. I was wondering if this is a strategy, I can't imagine it's effective!

If you don't think you can save your partner, eliminating them so their cards don't go to the other team can be a sound strategy at times.
especially in escalating games.
Corporal Topsy

Postby JelleR on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:12 am

Sometimes its the only way to win actually, especially when its escalating. So yes, its a very valid strategy.
Captain JelleR

Postby shocked439 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:13 am

It's a viable strategy especially in escalating spoils. Since you know what your partner has you can sometimes take them out and get a double or triple turn in to win the game.

The object is to eliminate the other team doesn't matter if your whole team is alive or not.
Sergeant shocked439

Postby iwatawood on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 am

well ok, I learned something. However, his partner, while weakened, wasn't where anyone could attack her easily. Thanks for the input.
Sergeant iwatawood

Postby JelleR on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:48 am

iwatawood wrote:well ok, I learned something. However, his partner, while weakened, wasn't where anyone could attack her easily. Thanks for the input.

I took a look at the game you are talking about: seems to have been a very bad move there. ;)
Captain JelleR

Postby jrh_cardinal on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:39 pm

It is a perfectly valid, legal, helpful strategy as many have said, but, unless your partner only has 1 or 2 regions and you have at least 5 spoils combined, I would advise against it until you've played a lot of dubs escalating. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, it can often lead to more harm than good, just like it did for the other team in your current game
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby 40kguy on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:55 pm

i do this all time. not uncommon at all in esc. games
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby iwatawood on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:19 pm

it wasn't an escalating game. It's flat rate.
Sergeant iwatawood

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:12 pm

iwatawood wrote:it wasn't an escalating game. It's flat rate.

Very, very, very rarely would that be a good move in flat rate. More likely they're just idiots, or maybe they had a quarrel....:-)
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby tkr4lf on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:43 am

Uhhh, yeah, this move makes virtually no sense in a flat rate game. However, I know I've won at least one dubs game by employing this strategy...take my partner's last territ and sweep the board! Oh, great fun!!
Major tkr4lf

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 pm

I do it in No Spoils games if my team is gonna lose anyway. MUTINY
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby SirSebstar on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:45 pm

iwatawood wrote:I am playing in a doubles game where one player just took out his partner to get her spoils. I'm relatively new to doubles play, but I've always thought that the goal was for BOTH of you to win and for the partners to help each other with reinforcements and strategic attacks etc. I was wondering if this is a strategy, I can't imagine it's effective!

in flat rate this is rarely effective, but to deny your opponants 5 cards, that may sometimes be prefferiable to giving them the cards, and your teammate would still be dead anyways.
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 pm

I played a quadruples on Iberia, and the opposing team cannibalized each other, and then destroyed my team. I was completely disgusted. I know you say it works, but I'll never try it, because I can't imagine taking out my teammate. I like conquering the enemy instead. However, this strategy reminds of the Josephus game. The story goes like this: Josephus and his fellow rebels were in a cave, and the Roman army was outside looking for him and his buddies. So instead of being captured, the rebels all decided to kill each other rather than become slaves to the Romans. So they drew lots and killed each other, however, when it got down to just Josephus and one other man, they decided to not kill each other and join the Roman army. In this case, they didn't get spoils for killing each other.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:54 pm

the opposing team cannibalized each other, and then destroyed my team. I was completely disgusted. I know you say it works, but I'll never try it, because I can't imagine taking out my teammate.

Awww, so young and idealistic ...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby MeDeFe on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:57 am

shieldgenerator7 wrote:I played a quadruples on Iberia, and the opposing team cannibalized each other, and then destroyed my team. I was completely disgusted. I know you say it works, but I'll never try it, because I can't imagine taking out my teammate. I like conquering the enemy instead. However, this strategy reminds of the Josephus game. The story goes like this: Josephus and his fellow rebels were in a cave, and the Roman army was outside looking for him and his buddies. So instead of being captured, the rebels all decided to kill each other rather than become slaves to the Romans. So they drew lots and killed each other, however, when it got down to just Josephus and one other man, they decided to not kill each other and join the Roman army. In this case, they didn't get spoils for killing each other.

To fit with the situation as it is on CC they would really have had to draw lots and kill each other, then the last man alive raises them as zombies and destroys the Roman army with a horde of undead.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:29 am

I think its more the the analogy of the russions in WOII. they has one gun for 10 man, so when one went down the others took the gun. In this case the commisar killed the guy with the gun so someone else could be more effectivly..
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby JelleR on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:08 pm

Applied properly: http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=8743051

Credits to Blombier.
Captain JelleR

Postby owenshooter on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:39 pm

very effective, especially if it keeps the other team from both taking out your partner AND collecting his/her spoils...-the black jesus
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby jackin_u_up on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:03 pm

I Love the ALIENS 3 Manuever.
Lieutenant jackin_u_up

Return to Conquer Club Discussion