Conquer Club

great way to win freestyle games

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

great way to win freestyle games

Postby gStrong on Fri May 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Just finished a game, 8990746, that I thought would go on forever but my opponent gave me a great tip about freestyle games.

I just thought I would share this with the community I seems like a good way to win.

Does everyone do this in freestyle objective games?
Private 1st Class gStrong

Re: great way to win freestyle games

Postby gradybridges on Fri May 06, 2011 11:10 pm

that's why i hate freestyle.
Lieutenant gradybridges

Postby gStrong on Sat May 07, 2011 6:04 am

gradybridges wrote:that's why i hate freestyle.

Why hate the setting? Why not use it to get mote wins? Seems very simple and there are plenty of objective maps that it will work on.

Baseball, city mogul, oasis come to mind

Postby Darkended Blade on Sat May 07, 2011 11:50 am

Save people the effort in looking up the game and explain the method for us
Image Generating witty rebuke...
Corporal 1st Class Darkended Blade

Postby gStrong on Sat May 07, 2011 1:51 pm

He took the objective and ended his turn then placed a weight on the "B" key to start his turn as soon as I start my turn.

He only lost because his computer froze while he was away and I was able to take the objective and win the game

Postby KraphtOne on Sat May 07, 2011 5:29 pm

and in the game usernamer asked why i use the b button for begining turns...

it's strictly a speed thing

i have mine setup so that B begins V refreshes the map and C ends my turn/attacks

that way i can begin a turn attack and end without ever moving my hand...

and the strategy involved in that game is nothing new... there have been conquerers that got there by winning games on objective based maps such as city mogul...

if you only have 4 games going its an insanely easy way to win...

i however have tons of games going so it really isnt worth 10 or so points to not be able to play more games while i'm holding down the B button...

but some have more than 1 computer and some just have no life and really want those 10 points regardless of how much time it wastes and how unfun it really is ;)
Look on my works ye mighty and despair...
Major KraphtOne

Postby JBlombier on Sun May 08, 2011 4:55 am

That was very well put, Krapht. I was gonna reply, but you said it all.
Yes, it works. No, it's not fun. Yes, it might get you conqueror. But you're sure to get bored after a while.
Major JBlombier

Postby ljex on Sun May 08, 2011 6:45 pm

isnt it illegal to put a weight on your keyboard so that you auto begin when the other team does?
Captain ljex

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Sun May 08, 2011 6:53 pm

ljex wrote:isnt it illegal to put a weight on your keyboard so that you auto begin when the other team does?

If it is a weight, I don't think so, it is only illegal if it is a script. I think. Not too sure, i have asked this question to mods like 6 times, and didn't receive a real answer, ever

viewtopic.php?f=239&t=138904&start=30#p3061983

the above link is a reference to the 'answer' I got

Basically, it isn't a machine taking the turns, so I think it is allowed... I think
Sergeant 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby gStrong on Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 am

Okay before I start using this strategy can the question about the rules be clarified?

Postby Streaker on Mon May 09, 2011 9:37 am

gStrong wrote:Okay before I start using this strategy can the question about the rules be clarified?

Play 2-3 games like this against players with clickies. You won't go down this lane after that ;)
First Tournament Victory: Game 6518858

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby SirSebstar on Tue May 10, 2011 5:29 am

gStrong wrote:Okay before I start using this strategy can the question about the rules be clarified?

what is your question?
Are scripts allowed that allow you to take your turn even while you are away from your keyboard? No they are not.

Is it allowed to press the B button continuously; yes.

does this help you? no. Also note that the difference between scripts and B, is that with the B you can play only one game where you do this, and with the script you can play countless of games
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby gStrong on Tue May 10, 2011 7:32 am

SirSebstar wrote:

what is your question?
Are scripts allowed that allow you to take your turn even while you are away from your keyboard? No they are not.

Is it allowed to press the B button continuously; yes.

does this help you? no. Also note that the difference between scripts and B, is that with the B you can play only one game where you do this, and with the script you can play countless of games

Thanks this clears it up. I understand that by putting a weight on the B key I will only play one game at a time but I figure it will be a 12 hour wait for me and I can handle that since I only play four games as it is now.

Postby gameplayer on Tue May 10, 2011 8:25 pm

In the end, Conquer Club is just a game ( :shock: shocking, right?) and there shouldn't be anything "ethical" or "unethical" about any particular strategy. Installing a script and holding down the B button is no more illegal than using BOB to take snapshots of your game. Both of them are electronic scripts that simplifying things you could do by hand. If you don't like it, don't play freestyle. If you're wondering whether or not you should use the strategy yourself, just think about what you want to get out of the side. If getting a high score is satisfying, and you think playing freestyle singles and holding down the B button will help you get a high score, go for it. (for the record, there's lots of ways to get your rank up, this one is not necessarily better than any other). If you don't feel comfortable doing it, sequential singles take just as much strategy and are just as satisfying to win. You're playing on this site to have fun, so enjoy it in whatever way you want.
Colonel gameplayer

Postby SirSebstar on Wed May 11, 2011 2:53 am

Gameplayer. CC is set up for the casual gamer. There are people among us who could simply script a game's reactions.. escpacially handy in freestyle, and much much faster then even clickies...

The casual gamer can download some handy add-ons, but at least you still play against humans. Playing against a script is not.
unethical is also not the right word, its simply against the site rules, fwhich you have acknowledged
Major SirSebstar

Postby Streaker on Wed May 11, 2011 4:37 am

gameplayer wrote:In the end, Conquer Club is just a game ( :shock: shocking, right?) and there shouldn't be anything "ethical" or "unethical" about any particular strategy. Installing a script and holding down the B button is no more illegal than using BOB to take snapshots of your game. Both of them are electronic scripts that simplifying things you could do by hand. If you don't like it, don't play freestyle. If you're wondering whether or not you should use the strategy yourself, just think about what you want to get out of the side. If getting a high score is satisfying, and you think playing freestyle singles and holding down the B button will help you get a high score, go for it. (for the record, there's lots of ways to get your rank up, this one is not necessarily better than any other). If you don't feel comfortable doing it, sequential singles take just as much strategy and are just as satisfying to win. You're playing on this site to have fun, so enjoy it in whatever way you want.

Not a good comparison imo. BOB allows for YOU to take snapshots, it does not automatically generate one after each turn FOR you. Big difference. A freestyle script where it automatically starts the turn FOR you, or pressing B YOURSELF is the same difference.
First Tournament Victory: Game 6518858

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby SirSebstar on Wed May 11, 2011 4:51 am

I like being the advocate of the devil, so here is a counter argument.
I have for a long time not used bob.. I used multiple computers, so snapshots were a problem for me. once i understood fog i simply resorted to printscreens. equally effective, but not as usefull.
Nowadays there is the snapshot in chat so all teammates can look at the map in time, and the functionality of showing attackpaths is still possible.. snapshots and attackpaths and the showing of bonus regions are the 3 things which make bob indispensiable once you get beyond a certain amount or running games.

it is unfair that a new player simply does not have acces to the same information as any other player. You need to have a firefox capable internet browser (which i did not have acces too for 3 years) and then you need to add this programs.

not everybody is able or capable to do this, so adding things to the site is certianly useful. at least it evens the playingfield..

however, me knowing more then you is part of me spending more time on the site then you, and it is not like the information is hidden. Using a script however is not you, and therefor should not be part of the site
Major SirSebstar

Postby gameplayer on Wed May 11, 2011 1:35 pm

****clarification****
the "script" I was referring to was clickable maps, which enables you to refresh the map by holding down the B button. I think CM is fine. The "auto-start" scripts that automatically start your turns whenever they become available are totally against site rules, and anyone who uses them should be banned. Holding down B does not give you a competitive advantage, auto-start scripts do.
Colonel gameplayer

Postby gameplayer on Wed May 11, 2011 1:37 pm

SirSebstar wrote:I like being the advocate of the devil, so here is a counter argument.
I have for a long time not used bob.. I used multiple computers, so snapshots were a problem for me. once i understood fog i simply resorted to printscreens. equally effective, but not as usefull.
Nowadays there is the snapshot in chat so all teammates can look at the map in time, and the functionality of showing attackpaths is still possible.. snapshots and attackpaths and the showing of bonus regions are the 3 things which make bob indispensiable once you get beyond a certain amount or running games.

it is unfair that a new player simply does not have acces to the same information as any other player. You need to have a firefox capable internet browser (which i did not have acces too for 3 years) and then you need to add this programs.

not everybody is able or capable to do this, so adding things to the site is certianly useful. at least it evens the playingfield..

however, me knowing more then you is part of me spending more time on the site then you, and it is not like the information is hidden. Using a script however is not you, and therefor should not be part of the site

I don't think the firefox thing is that bad because if a new player wants to, they can set up a fairly convenient screenshot system that works almost as well. Greasemonkey scripts are a convenience, but they don't give you a competitive advantage, since you can do what they do by hand if you want.
Colonel gameplayer

Return to Conquer Club Discussion