Conquer Club

Looking for Team Game pointers

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Looking for Team Game pointers

Postby imstillurdaddy on Wed May 11, 2011 8:08 am

I have only played one team game and I may have done my partner more harm than good :roll:

Could someone please lay out the basic rules & strategies for 2-person team play --- like who should attack who, how to use reinforcements, what game strategies work best, etc. --- also any other game elements that vary greatly from the individual game --- thanks
Lieutenant imstillurdaddy

Re: Looking for Team Game pointers

Postby SirSebstar on Wed May 11, 2011 9:16 am

moved to callouts. not a gamemechanics or forum related question, but a request for players to join games
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby macbone on Thu May 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Isn't this more of a strategy question?

Daddy, here are a few things I've picked up regarding team play:

1. Communication. The team that communicates well is successful. Whether you use in-game chat, live chat, PMs, IMs, Skype, or what have you, every team member needs to know the game plan.

2. Chemistry. Sometimes players just click. Other times, good players don't match up well together. Find players you're comfortable playing with, that you work well with.

3. Attacking and Forting. Generally, you want to attack the opponent who goes immediately after you and fort to the teammate who goes immediately after you. For instance, in doubles, Red should attack Blue and fort to Green. In Triples, Red should attack Yellow and fort to Green.

4. Bonuses. I play mostly No Spoils games, and preventing the other players from taking bonuses is important. Concurrently, if you can get your teammates bonuses, you'll win. The team with the higher salary generally wins (and this is true for Flat Rate and Escalating as well, although when cards are involved, bonuses are not quite as key. They're still important, though). As a corollary to this, the best bonuses to take are the ones that involve killing your opponents' men. For instance, it's generally not worth it to take two teammates' terts in order to hold a 4-tert bonus unless your teammates are reasonably safe from elimination elsewhere.

Break your opponents' bonuses, keep each opponent below 12 territories, get bonuses for you and/or your teammates, and take out weak opponents. In Quads and Trips, identifying potential targets for elimination early on is a fundamental move.

1 and 2 are essential. 3 and 4 change depending on the map - sometimes you need to attack another opponent rather than the one who plays immediately after you, for instance, or you have to decide whether you'll take your own bonus or break the other team's. No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

SoC team training is very helpful. If you haven't signed up yet, there's a waiting list in the SoC Training Fields forum. I'll send you an invite for a doubs game, too.
Colonel macbone

Postby SirSebstar on Thu May 12, 2011 3:07 pm

I gather he was requesting actual players team up with, not just tips on how to play teamgames.
If i was wrong, the op can contact me and ill move it to where it belongs..
Major SirSebstar

Postby QoH on Thu May 12, 2011 8:55 pm

SirSebstar wrote:I gather he was requesting actual players team up with, not just tips on how to play teamgames.

OP specifically asked for basic tips: who to fort to, who to attack etc.

imstillurdaddy wrote:like who should attack who, how to use reinforcements, what game strategies work best
Major QoH

Postby ljex on Thu May 12, 2011 11:54 pm

SirSebstar wrote:moved to callouts. not a gamemechanics or forum related question, but a request for players to join games

lolz idk where this was but it should not be in callouts...
Captain ljex

Postby lord voldemort on Fri May 13, 2011 12:57 am

yer he really isnt asking for players...but help into how to play
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Electricksabers on Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 am

I agree sent to Strategy.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Electricksabers

Postby danfrank on Sat May 14, 2011 8:49 pm

SirSebstar wrote:I gather he was requesting actual players team up with, not just tips on how to play teamgames.

:lol: :lol: Its says POINTERS not partners :roll:
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby SirSebstar on Sun May 15, 2011 6:11 am

danfrank wrote:

:lol: :lol: Its says POINTERS not partners :roll:

no it does not, it says partner.
Anyways, strategy is quite fine..
Major SirSebstar

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat May 21, 2011 3:26 pm

Forum technicalities aside, when playing team games, it's good to reinforce to the partner that goes next on your team. This way, you can keep an ongoing chain of attack and pressure on the other team. It's usually good to reinforce from places that the enemy can't attack. This isn't always the best move, but the right employment of this tactic is a basic crux to understanding the dynamics of team games.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Fewnix on Sat May 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Excellent points by Macbone.. To go into some detail on forting and deploying to your teammates.

Every game gives you a fort option as part of every turn You deploy, you attack, you fort. Team members should fort to their team mates just about every turn, even with settings such as chained or adjacent that limit how much they can do. In unlimited forts the sky may be the limit. I will strip myself down to 6 terts , each with only one army on it, if it helps my team win .

Tied in to forting to your team mates is deploying to your teammates. Using these two options a team quickly build double digits stack to take and defend territory, especially bonus territory. Red sees Green has a good shot at taking a bonus, deploys 3 on Green and forts 2 to her from different terts, giving her an 8 stack. Green can deploy 3 to have an 11 stack to take that.bonus.. Then there is passing the stack , Green gives a 10 stack to Blue, the next team member up; and around it goes.

Another "trick"- fort stripping. You strip the territory down to one army by forting to a team members adjacent territory, She uses the armies you gave her to take your singleton tert and gets bonus.

Another variation of that is the tert exchange particularly useful in games where team members need to get spoils. .Say there is a sequence of
A 3 Red, B 3 Red, and C 3 Blue
Red forts from B to C leaving
A 3 Red, B 1 Red, C 5 Blue
Blue takes the singleton B and forts to C leaving
A 7 Red, B 1 Blue, C 1 Blue, Next round leaves
A 1Rred, B 1 Red, C 7 Blue
and around it goes.
Lieutenant Fewnix

Return to Conquer Club Discussion