Conquer Club

Small Maps

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Small Maps

Postby FitzMichael on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:41 am

Does anyone else agree that there's far less strategy involved in smaller maps such as madagascar than in larger ones? Especially in a 1v1 situation. The win always seems to go to whoever got the best starting territories or who happens to have the best rolls in the first 2 turns. Or am i just oblivious of the strategy involved?
<-- New Player
Thanks in advance
Sergeant FitzMichael

Re: Small Maps

Postby JBlombier on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:34 am

Yes, 1v1 games on small maps tend be decided in the first few rounds. Good dice/drop will get you an early advantage that is hard to overcome.
That is why I hardly ever play that. I choose the settings I play, because there is much less luck involved.
Major JBlombier

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:00 am

I usually only play small to medium maps on 1vs1. I've found that there are a few strategies outside 'luck of the dice.'

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby danfrank on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:15 pm

even on some bigger maps your philosophy applies...
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby MoB Deadly on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Yeah even on bigger maps, there is always the possibility of them nearly having one of the smaller bonuses at the very start. And with the more starting territories, the more troops they have to work with early. (unlimited forts could give them almost a win right away). You could get ousted before the game even starts

With smaller maps, each troop has a bigger value, so you can make less mistakes.

If you want the maps that have the most "even" beginnings, I would try a map with starting points like any of the AoRs, or Feudal, and thats just to name a couple, theres a lot more
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby Iron Butterfly on Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:56 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I usually only play small to medium maps on 1vs1. I've found that there are a few strategies outside 'luck of the dice.'

--Andy

Its not just luck of the dice. You have no chance with a bad drop AND Neutral territories blocking you out. If the game is decided by who goes first, drop and neutrals and then luck of the dice....well one may as well get a coin flip simulater to decide it.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby mr. CD on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:36 am

Iron Butterfly wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I usually only play small to medium maps on 1vs1. I've found that there are a few strategies outside 'luck of the dice.'

--Andy

Its not just luck of the dice. You have no chance with a bad drop AND Neutral territories blocking you out. If the game is decided by who goes first, drop and neutrals and then luck of the dice....well one may as well get a coin flip simulater to decide it.

Still there's a lot of strategy involved. In let's say 30 to 40% of the games the drop decides, in 20% the dice decide and in the rest it's just strategy. So yes, there is more luck involved than in other maps, but it's not pure luck.
Lieutenant mr. CD

Return to Conquer Club Discussion