Conquer Club

Opening Move Question

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Opening Move Question

Postby Abyss24 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Hello,

I apologize in advance as I am certain this must have been discussed previously, but I did search and could not see find anything. If you have the opening move in a game, do you prefer to make a 6 on 3 attack or deploy and wait? In the past I normally took one roll 6 on 3 to see what happens, particularly in game where I can reinforce to ensure I get better than 6 on 3 odds in the next turn (e.g. an unlimited game with adjacent territories I own). I am curious to know what others think is optimal strategy.

Thanks.
Major Abyss24

Re: Opening Move Question

Postby Augustus Maximus on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:30 pm

I have been pondering that same question. Lately I have just used the first turn as a reinforcing turn, since I generally lose when I attack in the first round.
Private 1st Class Augustus Maximus

Postby Iron Butterfly on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:05 pm

It really depends on a variety of factors. What type of game you are playing, map ect.

My favorite type of game is escalating. As a general rule one doesnt attack first round for several reasons. One isnt interested in a territory or bonus. One is interested in card count. I rarely if ever would put a 3 on one stack first round. I put troops to balance the board.

What type of map and game are you playing?
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby Abyss24 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:29 am

I always play flat rate and usually play unlimited.
Major Abyss24

Postby Iron Butterfly on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:39 am

Cards are more important early in a flat rate game the an escalating. But situations are different for each game and map depending on the drop.

simple answer...either do it or dont. Your at the mercy of the dice gods anyways.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby firsal901 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 am

depends.... if a continent is in reach, grab it. if not, reinforce where you are most likely to succeed
Cook firsal901

Postby Abyss24 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:13 am

I generally do try to attack if I get a good drop and a continent is in reach. But if I am scattered and no one is interested in attacking my far-flung territories, I do not attack on my first move. But I wonder if this is bad strategy because although it can put you in a bad situation if you attack and lose on your 1st move, the cumulative effect of taking many 6 on 3 rolls will favor you in the long run. But I don't know if this is offset by the hole you get into when you lose.
Major Abyss24

Postby Iron Butterfly on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Its why the game is called RISK. You are at the mercy of the dice.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby MoB Deadly on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:51 pm

ranked in priority

If you opponent has a continent or all but 1 territ which you own, put 6 on it and assault one nearby (put at least 2 on another if victorious)
If you can take a continent, 6v3 isnt bad unless he can use his unlimited forts to contest it anyway

If you can connect a big string of continents by killing an opponent territory, I would suggest putting 2 on one territ and one on the other so that you can assault the sandwiched territory and connect your troops

Otherwise I try to 'control' my opponent by putting 1 each on territories, so i get multiple 4v3s so I have better chances of getting cards or ousting him to a limited part of the map

probably missed scenarios, but very rarely do I deploy and make no assaults
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby benga on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:12 am

You play with unlimited so go for card, I am sure that you can position your troops so you get a card next turn.

But don't go 6v3 it's better to drop 1s around,
esp if you are attacking the same region
so insted 6v3 you have 4v3, 4v3, 4v3.
That's max (or better said in worse situation) 3 attacks instead of 2.

LOL that's what MoB said :)
Sergeant benga

Return to Conquer Club Discussion