Conquer Club

Flat Rate or Escalating

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Flat Rate or Escalating

Postby TrafalgarLaw01 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Flat Rate or Escalating

I've been playing in CC for two months now, and i believe i've done it reasonably well so far, and i've been reading this forum quite a lot as well, I find most people would rather play escalating games, but i think those game depends on more in luck than Flat Rate, as you have to have the luck to have the right set in the right moment to wipe out all the board, while in Flate Rate 4 to troops more could be a great diference but most of the times no desicive. so i think if i'd like to carry on gaining points and havin fun in the games, trying new pas Flat Rate is a better option.

I know Flat Rate could leave to stalemate, but it only had happened to me once so far, so i don't see it such a big problem, besides game of 30 rounds or so are no boring at all for me!!

What would you say?? about luck and enjoyment of the maps
Colonel TrafalgarLaw01

Re: Flat Rate or Escalating

Postby AyeTrain on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:10 am

Escalating games tend to be fast, since the cards will be decisive. I find that strategy is more important in flat rate, but I've also seen arguments from escalating opponents that strategy is important there too. Your mileage may vary, but I prefer flat rate myself. It does sometimes lead to stalemates, so sometimes you have to be careful earlier in the game to keep that from happening (like try to keep the fourth player alive until you think you can dominate the remaining two players). You can use turn limits to mitigate that problem, too, or just be ready to practice lots of patience.
Major AyeTrain

Re: Flat Rate or Escalating

Postby Jippd on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:15 am

It is all about what you enjoy.

If you enjoy flat rate and long drawn out games (flat rate) then why not keep playing them?

You are right about escalating being about having the set at the right time. Some of that you can control by skipping cards sometimes to make sure you get that right order of cashes or get a higher or lower cash turn in if you can jockey for position. Some of escalating is moving around on the map as well. Can you block a opponent who is leading the game from taking a card? Can you provide defense for a weak and easy target making him not targetable for others on the map? Can you set yourself up to be ready to go on that kill run at the exact moment you need to and run the board? There is definitely a lot of strategy that goes into escalating games.

For me I find that if you play a flat rate game properly it will lead to a stalemate more than 90% of the time. That is why I do not enjoy playing flat rate games. On smaller maps and with less players flat rate is more of a random luck factor because the cashes make that much of a difference. As you add more players or go to larger maps the luck factor in flat rate goes down because the deploys/bonuses are high compared to the value of a cash. There is definitely strategy in flat rate too. I find flat rate/no spoils are best played with fog to avoid stalemates. I think flat rate and no spoils games involve more diplomacy as well and use of the chat box which may be something you enjoy as well? It is a game of manipulating players via chat as well as playing the game with dice and moves.
Major Jippd

Return to Conquer Club Discussion