Conquer Club

what type of game minimize the dice

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

what type of game minimize the dice

Postby Donlarry on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 am

the dice in this game take out all the fun it removes me from the game and my stratagy and what i would do in that situation with real men having 4 years of military training some of the odds of the dice dont make sense

if im forcing several guys into a ally or a narrow pieces of road my number of dead men should go down significantly but in this game ill get 6 doubles against me i just cant see losing large numbers of men to men we have surrounded

what is that about
Sergeant 1st Class Donlarry

Re: what type of game minimize the dice

Postby betiko on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:41 pm

.... Say what?
Major betiko

Postby Donlarry on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:05 pm

can u understand math and angles more guys vs less guys your chances of losing a lot of guys goes down exponentially

Postby tigerbob on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Donlarry wrote:can u understand math and angles more guys vs less guys your chances of losing a lot of guys goes down exponentially

if all of them guys was all fightin' at the same time, yes. but you only have 3 at most at one time fighting. and against 2 enemy. and the tie goes to the defender. maybe you should get a deck of cards. or some pickup sticks.
Sergeant tigerbob

Postby Donlarry on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:10 pm

i think so because i want something a lil more responsive to what im doing not playing numbers games ps4 her i come

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:50 pm

I'm surprised that this question came from someone with more medals.

There are other sites that play dice-free risk. Those other sites sucky the ding dong though.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby macbone on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:07 am

Don, you can always try chess. No dice there.

If you're frustrated by Risk's 3v2 limitation, I suggest you check out games like Axis & Allies. There, if you have 10 tanks, 2 bombers, a battleship, and 5 infantry, you roll 18 dice with different target numbers to hit (just watch out for the enemy's AA guns).

I'd love it if Conquer Club one day moved into the Samurai Swords/Axis & Allies clone market, but that's probably not going to happen. =)
Colonel macbone

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:06 pm

macbone wrote:Don, you can always try chess. No dice there.

If you're frustrated by Risk's 3v2 limitation, I suggest you check out games like Axis & Allies. There, if you have 10 tanks, 2 bombers, a battleship, and 5 infantry, you roll 18 dice with different target numbers to hit (just watch out for the enemy's AA guns).

I'd love it if Conquer Club one day moved into the Samurai Swords/Axis & Allies clone market, but that's probably not going to happen. =)

Well, I don't think I'd want to see a complete copycat clone, but a game largely similar to Axis & Allies is, I think, possible on CC. The only radically different feature is the ability to attack from multiple terts simultaneously, and while that's a big leap it doesn't seem too unthinkable.

... and then they just have to add the cool sound effects...:)
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby RiffArt on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Donlarry wrote:the dice in this game take out all the fun it removes me from the game and my stratagy and what i would do in that situation with real men having 4 years of military training some of the odds of the dice dont make sense

if im forcing several guys into a ally or a narrow pieces of road my number of dead men should go down significantly but in this game ill get 6 doubles against me i just cant see losing large numbers of men to men we have surrounded

what is that about

Have you heard of Thermopylae (small force held off a large one for a long time, albeit with terrain advantage)? Or Cannae (smaller force absolutely devastated larger one)? San Jacinto (Mexicans lost half their men while the Texans lost very few)?

These odds make sense because they happen in real life... sometimes a small force wins against a larger one; sometimes it just does more damage than expected ("Another victory like this and we shall be ruined"). And remember when you've "surrounded" troops, depending on the map we may be talking about a large region still (e.g. Alaska) or a tiny region (one of the rooms in Supermax: Prison Riot comes to mind).

What's more unrealistic is that a defeated force doesn't retreat... it's not often that a force is completely wiped out.

Anyway, as someone else posted some other games you might like, let me suggest Diplomacy (there are PBEM sites set up all over, take a look. I used to play on diplomaticcorp.com). No dice, just strategy and negotiation. A larger force always "beats" a smaller one. If you really enjoy the diplomacy and co-operating aspect of this game as well as strategy it's a great game. Unlike here, you can't win without working with some of the other players.
Colonel RiffArt

Postby HardAttack on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:37 am

Donlarry wrote:Re: what type of game minimize the dice

minimizing it in physical size is what you are asking ?
Colonel HardAttack

Postby OliverFA on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:29 pm

What about City Mogul? That map is supposed to minimize "luck" by having huge deploys.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:52 pm

RiffArt wrote:Have you heard of Thermopylae (small force held off a large one for a long time, albeit with terrain advantage)? Or Cannae (smaller force absolutely devastated larger one)? San Jacinto (Mexicans lost half their men while the Texans lost very few)?

A great modern day example is the Black Hawk Down scenario. A billion dollar helicopter filled with the world's most elite fighting force knocked out by a few rag tag civilians with scavenged weapons.

Or I like to think that maybe it wasn't defense, it was poor offense. Maybe we had a tank malfunction that shut off the attack.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:29 am

SuicidalSnowman wrote:
RiffArt wrote:Have you heard of Thermopylae (small force held off a large one for a long time, albeit with terrain advantage)? Or Cannae (smaller force absolutely devastated larger one)? San Jacinto (Mexicans lost half their men while the Texans lost very few)?

A great modern day example is the Black Hawk Down scenario. A billion dollar helicopter filled with the world's most elite fighting force knocked out by a few rag tag civilians with scavenged weapons.

Or I like to think that maybe it wasn't defense, it was poor offense. Maybe we had a tank malfunction that shut off the attack.

Or, as Sid Meier put it, "Can a phalanx destroy a battleship?"

On the face of it, the proposition seems ridiculous, but in fact once you start thinking about it, you realize that there are many scenarios where that might be possible. The phalanx might catch the battleship in harbour, board it, and scuttle it. Or they might lure it into a poorly-charted strait and have it founder upon the rocks. Or they might perform some kind of ruse, surrendering, being brought on board, and blowing the place up.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Fewnix on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:23 pm

large maps,no special features, no spoils, few oppo- minimize randomness/luck/dice.
Rule 1
show
Lieutenant Fewnix

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Chess. Football. Darts. Snap.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby vonraider on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:56 am

If you don't like dice, play checkers. Dice whining is so old.
Private vonraider

Postby Gweeedo on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Not sure what you expect out of a dice game.
Risk gets old, dice get old, dice whining gets old.
This game is a good time passer.
CC is a good place to hone one's skills.
Unlike other war games, this game is all dice.
The difference being the dice.
Dice; having the power or effect of impelling, actuated or swayed by emotional or involuntary impulses.
The dice (and players) F*ck with you.
If you want to take this game serious (getting involved) try not to focus on the dice (if that is even possible).
Play the game like any other war game (giving little thought on the outcome of the dice), don't allow the dice to make you or brake you.

I have no desire getting involved in this game (in its present form).
Just a good time passer for me...allowing the dice (and players) to dictate my game play.

If you want risk without dice, you might want to try Imperial (computer game available online, multi-player...free).
Sergeant 1st Class Gweeedo

Postby Agent 86 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Gweeedo wrote:Not sure what you expect out of a dice game.
Dice; having the power or effect of impelling, actuated or swayed by emotional or involuntary impulses.
If you want to take this game serious (getting involved) try not to focus on the dice (if that is even possible).
Play the game like any other war game (giving little thought on the outcome of the dice), don't allow the dice to make you or brake you.

Just a good time passer for me...allowing the dice (and players) to dictate my game play.

If you want risk without dice, you might want to try Imperial (computer game available online, multi-player...free).

You have no idea what you are talking about..you were told to go back into your cave. Do it now!!
We are the Fallen, an unstoppable wave of Darkness.
Major Agent 86

Postby Gweeedo on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Agent 86 wrote:
Gweeedo wrote:Not sure what you expect out of a dice game.

You have no idea what you are talking about..you were told to go back into your cave. Do it now!!

I have been in this cave all winter...they will not allow me to leave.

@Agent 86; You have been hanging around betiko too much.
Don't you (or betiko) bother yourself with trying to understand what It is I am talking about.
Now run along and play with your dice.

Play the dice game or not to play the dice game; that tis the question.
If you choose to play the dice game...don't bitch!
Or you could simply stop thinking dice?
In so doing you are least likely to be manipulated by them (including player).

Ya, I was stretching it a bit, there be no getting away from the dice!
Small chance anybody could play this game like they would a ''real war game''.
Honing one's skill in a game like this is ludicrous.
Nothing here but bad dice...go away!

Postby Agent 86 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Gweeedo wrote:

Ya, I was stretching it a bit, there be no getting away from the dice!
Small chance anybody could play this game like they would a ''real war game''.
Honing one's skill in a game like this is ludicrous.
Nothing here but bad dice...go away!

Stop it, you're making sense now..but you must remain in the cave, getting close to getting out though with your last post :P
We are the Fallen, an unstoppable wave of Darkness.
Major Agent 86

Postby Woltato on Sun May 04, 2014 4:58 pm

The fun of conquer club is that it's a combination of luck and skill. If you don't like that then I'd recommend chess which is a 100% skill game where you have complete control over every move. www.redhotpawn.com is a good site. I used to play on there but got bored with chess as I prefer games with that random element.
Sergeant Woltato

Postby Gweeedo on Mon May 05, 2014 6:11 pm

The problem with Conquers club...

CC is a good time passer; forums are great fun too.

Postby betiko on Wed May 07, 2014 5:28 am

risk is like poker. you might have a big luck factor, but at the end of the day you won't get away with it only being lucky a few times straight.

and to minimize luck, try to avoid small maps, easy maps that any noob masters, flat rate and manual drop (starting gives too much of an advantage for that one).
Major betiko

Postby universalchiro on Thu May 08, 2014 11:59 pm

Donlarry wrote:the dice in this game take out all the fun it removes me from the game and my stratagy and what i would do in that situation with real men having 4 years of military training some of the odds of the dice dont make sense

what is that about

He is referencing that if he has a region surrounded, then the kill ratio should improve. The current situation doesn't apply, but...

Pose this in another forum (ie map foundry): the ability to have more than one region attack a surrounded region at one time. You're are wanting more than 3 dice to represent more troops on more adjacent regions to the one you are attacking.

For example: three regions each with 4+ troops in contact with an opponent with one region with 2+ troops, your scenario would allow 9 dice to roll against 2 defending dice. Conversely if a defender had multiple regions adjacent to an attacker, then the defender would get extra dice to match the extra defending regions.

I see your thoughts. Interesting to note I remember a game called Axis and Allies and World at War had some similar variations.

Maybe you can take an old map, convert your dice parameters into effect and test it out in Beta forum.
Have fun :)
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby disismyid on Fri May 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Consider the luck element to be a reflection of real life, where luck actually does play a huge role in almost everything we do. Even in war, weather can turn, rations can go bad causing mass infection, etc. Sure, superior science/technology can help to give you the advantage in the area, but that is still no guarantee that things will turn out in your favor if you have superior forces/science/etc because no one knows everything so it is impossible to gain a complete, insurmountable advantage in anything. Even in chess, let's say Levon Aronian and Magnus Carlsen schedule a title match on June 24. Do you think that the best chess player is guaranteed to win? What if Magnus wakes up that morning with a bad case of allergies. He's not going to cancel the match because allergies would be a lame excuse, but if Levon is feeling better than normal on that day, there is a good chance that he would win (we are assuming in this case that Magnus is the better player). My point is that taking luck into account in your strategy is a good way to approach the dice factor in Risk. When you plan to attack/defend, leave room for bad luck. Although I am not in 100% agreement with this guy's strategy, his dice odds on page 7 are correct: http://web.mit.edu/sp.268/www/risk.pdf

Try this site as well: http://recreationalmath.com/Risk/
Cadet disismyid

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion