Conquer Club

Strategy guide for newbies like me who really suck?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Strategy guide for newbies like me who really suck?

Postby enjoycocacola on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:05 pm

It seems like I'm always losing:

1. If I play defensively, my opponents just wipe out my armies because attackers have the statistical edge.
2. If I go on the attack, then I just die in the counterattack or else some other person wipes me out because I weakened myself in the attack.
3. If I get too strong in a game, then everyone else just gangs up on me.
4. If I try to slowly build and try not to attract attention, then someone else wins.

So it seems like nothing I can do gets me the win! Is there some "newbie strategy guide" somewhere that anyone can recommend? I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!
Major enjoycocacola

Re: Strategy guide for newbies like me who really suck?

Postby Endgame422 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:42 pm

Lieutenant Endgame422

Postby enjoycocacola on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Thanks Endgame422, exactly what I needed!
Major enjoycocacola

Postby AyeTrain on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 am

Alternatively, find a mentor. There's a thread around somewhere, though it may be defunct. Or just find a player who seems to know what they're doing (like maybe one of those guys who beat you) and ask them for advice. PM me if you want.
Major AyeTrain

Postby Mr Changsha on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:14 pm

enjoycocacola wrote:It seems like I'm always losing:

1. If I play defensively, my opponents just wipe out my armies because attackers have the statistical edge.
2. If I go on the attack, then I just die in the counterattack or else some other person wipes me out because I weakened myself in the attack.
3. If I get too strong in a game, then everyone else just gangs up on me.
4. If I try to slowly build and try not to attract attention, then someone else wins.

So it seems like nothing I can do gets me the win! Is there some "newbie strategy guide" somewhere that anyone can recommend? I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Looking at your games you are trying to 'run before you can walk'. Drop all of those city mogul games and play or join some simple 3/4 player games on basic maps.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby jefjef on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:56 pm

I recommend you play lots of 1 vs 1 stuff - Learn some maps and get your rank up. Find the maps you have success and fun at..

You are also playing a lot of card games against experienced card players. Play more no spoil stuff too.

In large multi player games the lowest ranked players will invariably be targeted for quick elimination because the other players want to reduce their possible point loss.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby enjoycocacola on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:59 am

jefjef wrote:I recommend you play lots of 1 vs 1 stuff - Learn some maps and get your rank up. Find the maps you have success and fun at..

You are also playing a lot of card games against experienced card players. Play more no spoil stuff too.

In large multi player games the lowest ranked players will invariably be targeted for quick elimination because the other players want to reduce their possible point loss.

Ah, makes sense now!

And I'll do the 1v1/no spoils stuff as you suggest.

Thanks for the tips.
Major enjoycocacola

Postby macbone on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:01 am

And definitely sign up for SoC training, if you haven't yet. You'll learn strategy for large-player Escalating games.
Colonel macbone

Postby Arama86n on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:45 am

8 player standard games on Battle For Iraq, Conquer Rome and Kings Court II... one on escalating, one on flat rate and one on No spoils?? If I was in those three games with you I'd be happy if I managed a win in one of them.

Mr Changsha wrote:Looking at your games you are trying to 'run before you can walk'.

Mr.C has it right, like usual :)

As you may have realized, escalating is very different than No spoils. If I were you I'd start out with NS or FR and try and master one of those disciplines before attempting escalating. Or at least, picking one, even if it is escalating. Not trying every setting under the sun on some of the hardest maps on CC.
But again, if you like the difficult maps, good for you; but pick one or two and play them repeatedly for a while.

Being new on the site it must be damn hard to win a game on a complex map you don't know, on settings you don't comprehend.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is pick a set of settings, for example: Standard, Automatic, Sequential, No Spoils, Chained, NO fog or trench. Then pick 1-3 maps you want to learn and play a series of games on them on the same settings and keep your eyes open. Soon you should see the patterns, and realize your mistakes.

Good luck!
Major Arama86n

Postby Donald Fung on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:47 pm

Yeah, what everyone above has said is correct.

1) Don't play any hard maps like Conquer Rome, City Mogul, Hive, etc. Play simple maps with 36-48 territories such as Classic, USA, Japan, etc.
2) Avoid any special gameplay like fog, trench, freestyle, etc.
3) Focus on a single setting (as long as no special gameplay) and keep practicing at that setting until you understand how to win. Also, there is really nothing wrong with escalating if that is the setting you are used to since a lot of people on this site have played Risk before, most of which are escalating.
4) Play smaller games (2-4 players) against players with similar ranks. If you try playing 8 player games and your points are half of everyone else, people will naturally want to get rid of you just so they don't lose 40-50 points in one game.
5) If you really want a point boost, play 1v1 Doodle Earth or Luxembourg against higher ranked players. Those games usually have a 50-50 win rate and those maps are fairly simple. All you need is luck but if you are playing people with higher ranks, you should increase in points really quick.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.
Colonel Donald Fung

Return to Conquer Club Discussion