Conquer Club

Deliberately missing turns. Clever strategy or cheap tactic?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Deliberately missing turns. Clever strategy or cheap tac

Postby adban on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm lying.
Sergeant 1st Class adban

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Gweeedo wrote:If you say you have never missed a turn on purpose, you have never played Nuke or you are lying.

You're wrong.

I had a game where I had the choice.

I chose to sacrifice the game points to preserve my self respect; I took the turn and nuked myself. For me, that was the right choice.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Gweeedo on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:43 am

stahrgazer wrote:
Gweeedo wrote:If you say you have never missed a turn on purpose, you have never played Nuke or you are lying.

You're wrong.

I had a game where I had the choice.

I chose to sacrifice the game points to preserve my self respect; I took the turn and nuked myself. For me, that was the right choice.

Most admirable.

Taking your turn is one thing, ending it is another.
Want to hear my excuse for losing?
I won a game; nuking myself, in order to prevent others from getting points (terminator)...I win!
Nobody is going to know the difference, whether by you missing a turn on purpose or CC (lag, other game, not caring, strategy etc..) missing it for you.

I have missed plenty of turns (games) due to lag or not getting a notice that my game was up.
You got to admit, it is funny as hell when somebody runs out of time and is not able to end his turn...Nuke is the opposite...all in good fun.

Play to win, or lose.
Sergeant 1st Class Gweeedo

Postby macbone on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:24 am

Gweedo, stahrgazer has a 53% win percentage. I think it's safe to say she plays to win. =)

And add me to the list of players who has never deliberately missed or failed to end a turn. Exploiting loopholes isn't my idea of fun, but different strokes for different folks, eh?
Colonel macbone

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:28 am

I'm not disagreeing with the premise macbone, but win percentage is an incredibly pointless profile statistic.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Gweeedo on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:52 pm

macbone wrote:Gweedo, stahrgazer has a 53% win percentage. I think it's safe to say she plays to win. =)

And add me to the list of players who has never deliberately missed or failed to end a turn. Exploiting loopholes isn't my idea of fun, but different strokes for different folks, eh?

Yes, I think most CC players feel the same as you...that does not stop them from playing it.
Risk is not a gentleman's game.
Where do you get this loophole?
In keeping with the original game of risk, (Rule book) if you missed picking up a card at the end of your turn, you missed out.
I don't know the crowd you played with when all we had was the board game.
It is all about manipulating the rules (every game ever made)!!!
In RISK; Sometimes you would choose to miss pulling your card, only to have one handed to you by your opponent (opponent being the guy who turns in set after you).
Other times you would go (your turn) as fast and as soon as you could before the other guy realized he did not pick up a card...Ha, Hah.

I understand that you are able to pick and choose whom you play against, in CC.
I am certain that if you find yourself in a 1vs1 tourney against players who use such tactics, you would hold true to your honor and not follow their lead (rule).

I rarely (if ever) miss ending my turn...usually forget to stop myself from pressing the button.
I have played against people who miss their entire turn, it is an OK strategy.
Being able to thwart off such tactics, gives me a greater sense of victory.
Makes me want to beat them all the more.
I can play with it or without it, makes no difference to me...

Why play at a disadvantage?
Learn to adapt ;-)
If you can't beat them, join them.
It is all part of the game (in the rules).

Postby macbone on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:58 am

Eh, Caffeine, perhaps by itself, but if I see a win percentage over 50%, I'm impressed. I'd assume with that kind of win percentage, a player is playing almost exclusively two-team or 1v1 games, but against equal competition on a variety of maps and settings, that's pretty impressive.

Whew, stahrgazer, that's a lot of bot games. Do those count toward win percentage? =)
Colonel macbone

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:11 am

Bot games do count towards win percentage.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Gweeedo on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:30 pm

I have noticed, it is the lifers (long time residence, officers) that seem to hate this ploy.
Not just in this post, but every post that has ever come up about said topic.

Why is that...Maybe because they like to fight in pitched battles only?

Example: Escalating spoils, Freestyle, Classic you have incorporated house rules in some of these games; not because it is the winning strategy (as I was told) but because it makes the game more balanced (my belief).
If you want to keep your so called ''honor'' intact, go ahead and lose the game, but don't bitch about it when others (in WAR) don't play by ''your'' rules.
This is WAR after all.

Postby Alchemistery on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:15 am

Hi all

Missing turns is sometimes unavoidable but is incredibly frustrating and annoying to other players.

It is made worse by those who delberately use missing turns as a strategy for gaining defferred troops, we have all experienced this.

I previously tried to highlight this issue and cc said there was nothing they can do?

However i maintain the way forward is that when a turn is missed any troops due should be randomly allocated by the game on that turn , that way there are no deferred troops and the genuine turn misser still gets their troops.

It also means the non genuine miss turner has no way of knowing where the troops will be allocated and will gain no benefit from missing the turn .

This should at least eradicate the strategy element some mistakingly believe is part of the game , when we all know the reality, deliberate miss turning, many consider is bad gamesmansip and cheating, and does ruin the game for many people on a consistently and at the same time prolongs matches especially if its a 24 hr game

peace - alchemistery
Major Alchemistery

Postby owenshooter on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:59 am

Gweeedo wrote:I have noticed, it is the lifers (long time residence, officers) that seem to hate this ploy.
Not just in this post, but every post that has ever come up about said topic.

not true... i mostly play doubles and i LOVE when someone misses a turn... why? you attack the hell out of them for two turns and they lose whatever little advantage they may have gained by decimating their numbers... i do think the rule should be changed to 3 total missed turns and you are out or something along those lines... the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir™
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Gweeedo on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:09 pm

This is in response to; Community Discussion #2* - New Deadbeat Rule?

I did not want to bombard a thread that has little to do with deferred troops, I already bombarded this thread so I will respond here.

For those of you who believe deferred troops are totally irrelevant, why is it that so many players hate deferred troops?

Deferred troops might not display any kind of advantage in the games that you play,
a newb might see it differently.
Deferred troops can be advantageous (against a newb), the same holds true when you hold back from turning in a set (flat rate).

I have played games where a player is on the verge of missing his turn and I am thinking, it would probably be in his best interest not to make a move at this time.
There have been turns where I would have been much better off if I had not gone at all.

I have never had the patience to miss a turn.
If you believe there is no advantage in such a maneuver, you are leaving yourself open.
Not only that, you will never be able to exploit using such tactics.

So many different game options, this tactic could rule the day if somebody was lame (taking the time) enough to exploit it...you never know.

I have played enough war games; never say never when a War game is involved...you will get smoked!
Last edited by Gweeedo on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:14 pm

if it's within the rules, it's fine.. plain and simple... calling it cheap is a waste of time.
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby Gweeedo on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:19 pm

rhp 1 wrote:if it's within the rules, it's fine.. plain and simple... calling it cheap is a waste of time.

This is in response to topic; Community Discussion #2* - New Deadbeat Rule?
Some players think that missing a turn is irrelevant ''never'' ever giving advantage to players who use it.
For those of you who believe deferred troops are totally irrelevant, why is it that so many players hate deferred troops?

Deferred troops might not display any kind of advantage in the games that you play,
a newb might see it differently.
Deferred troops can be advantageous (against a newb); the same holds true when you hold back from turning in a set (flat rate)...
A player that chooses to mis multiple turns in an assassin (no spoils) game can be most effective.

I have played games where a player is on the verge of missing his turn and I am thinking, it would probably be in his best interest not to make a move at this time.
There have been turns where I would have been much better off if I had not gone at all.

I have never had the patience to miss a turn.
If you believe there is no advantage in such a maneuver you are leaving yourself open
not only that you will never be able to exploit using such tactics.

Sooo many different game options, this tactic could rule the day if somebody was lame (taking the time) enough to exploit it...you never know.

I have played enough war games to know; never say never when a game is on the line...you will get smoked!

My point being, missing a turn on purpose can be advantageous, don't be fooled into thinking otherwise.

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion