Conquer Club

Deliberately missing turns. Clever strategy or cheap tactic?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Deliberately missing turns. Clever strategy or cheap tactic?

Postby ZornSlayer on Fri May 09, 2014 10:35 pm

I notice in some games players miss a few turns regularly and then have a benefit of plopping a wad of 'deferred troops' at the point of their last conquest. Wondering how players view such a strategy. Is that a viable strategy and legitimate within the rules or considered a cheap tactic?
Lieutenant ZornSlayer

Re: Deliberately missing turns. Clever strategy or cheap tac

Postby DiM on Fri May 09, 2014 10:56 pm

personally i consider it a shit tactic. while that person is missing his turns you can break his bonuses or gather bonuses for yourself, gain more spoils.

the only way this tactic brings him an advantage is if you believe he's gonna deadbeat and treat the game as if it's already won. so regardless of how many turns he misses you play your best to kill him and always take into consideration he might not actually deadbeat.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Donelladan on Sat May 10, 2014 4:02 am

Missing a turn is a disadvantage in the vast majority of cases. - deferred troops are not giving any advantage ever.
But if it is done in purpose to gain an advantage ( it is possible for some game and setting that missing turn give you real advantage, mainly freestyle) then I consider it an abuse of the game and I hope it is punished by the mod if done in a large scale.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Gweeedo on Sat May 10, 2014 1:42 pm

I would say it is a valid strategy...Kinda crappy in a speed game, only because it nullifies the speediness in a 'speed' game.
If it works why not use it?
Although it can be a bit frustrating at times, you should focus on overcoming...learn to counter such strategies.
Rate accordingly.
Some players think it legit others think it crappy (forum poll is about 50/50); You are playing a game that allows for this, best play accordingly.
It would benefit CC to post this as ''allowable'' in accordance with the rules.
Nothing worse than having discrepancies in the rule book...never to be clarified.
It is clear to most of us.
Yes, it is A legit rule (however shitty you might think it to be).
Unintentionally missing a turn (hitting wrong button, answering the phone, Lag, more lag, etc.) can be equally satisfying to you as it can be to the player who misses his turn on purpose.

Overall, missing a turn is a disadvantage, no reason to ever look at it any different.
Feel free to play with it.
I have contemplated missing my turn at times, always forget or can't be bothered to do so...enjoyed the benefit in a nuke game a few times.
Sergeant 1st Class Gweeedo

Postby betiko on Sun May 11, 2014 5:27 am

Gweeedo wrote:I would say it is a valid strategy...Kinda crappy in a speed game, only because it nullifies the speediness in a 'speed' game.
If it works why not use it?
Although it can be a bit frustrating at times, you should focus on overcoming...learn to counter such strategies.
Rate accordingly.
Some players think it legit others think it crappy (forum poll is about 50/50); You are playing a game that allows for this, best play accordingly.
It would benefit CC to post this as ''allowable'' in accordance with the rules.
Nothing worse than having discrepancies in the rule book...never to be clarified.
It is clear to most of us.
Yes, it is A legit rule (however shitty you might think it to be).
Unintentionally missing a turn (hitting wrong button, answering the phone, Lag, more lag, etc.) can be equally satisfying to you as it can be to the player who misses his turn on purpose.

Overall, missing a turn is a disadvantage, no reason to ever look at it any different.
Feel free to play with it.
I have contemplated missing my turn at times, always forget or can't be bothered to do so...enjoyed the benefit in a nuke game a few times.

Stop giving your opinion on game related issues all the time gweedo. You are a clueless noob and your opinions are always dumb and naive. I ve told you many times, these are conversations for grown ups, go play with your legos.
Major betiko

Postby Gweeedo on Sun May 11, 2014 1:14 pm

Risk is for kids, silly wrabbit!

Of course it is a cheap tactic, does not stop players from using it!
Take betiko for example, he will use it if he feels the need, but if you use it against him he will cry and whine like a little girl.
Talking nonsense.
Here are some other quotes from betiko on this subject;
(1)
I m ok if it s ruled in when the game starts.
@ logic would dictate, rule out (being that the rule is already in) when game starts.
(2)
it s not something accepted by the vast majority of the CC players.
@ Wrong!
(3)
This is a gentleman agreement.
@ gentleman agreement, in a non gentleman game?
(4)
like it or not i don't care. that's how it is, sorry it makes you sad.
@ taken like a true champ...this guy hasn't a clue.

I have played many a game (not talking about the game of risk) with players like betiko.
My game play is unorthodox, betiko and players like him will never understand how it is A guy like me can win...getting all the more frustrated when I show no intelligent form, all the while understanding the game in a entirely different way than he (them), and kicking ass!
Score, Rank, rating means nothing!
This is not a game I take seriously (not wanting to put in the time to study map and such).
I am a solid player and my strategy is sound.

Play the game.
Cheap tactics are allowed.
Overcome your fear and frustration...figure it out.
If you like, don't except it and submit to your limited understanding of the game and join the whiners club.

Postby betiko on Sun May 11, 2014 6:20 pm

Gweeedo wrote:
Major betiko

Postby a6mzero on Sun May 11, 2014 8:24 pm

I always try to hit the player when he misses a turn make him feel a little pain.
Major a6mzero

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue May 13, 2014 10:54 am

The only time it's advantageous is in large multiplayer games, provided people don't attack said player. It's lame if done deliberately, but sometimes it's unavoidable.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Gweeedo on Sun May 18, 2014 9:04 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:The only time it's advantageous is in large multiplayer games, provided people don't attack said player. It's lame if done deliberately, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Not entirely; If you start a game and you watch the first player lose a few battles (or even win, while dwindling his units), a good strategy is to wait (miss a turn) and see if he continues...with the chance of giving you a killer advantage.

Only reason I know this is because I am an aggressive player and some players (mostly pro's) try being sneaky...trying to catch a low (rookie) rank off guard.

Postby ZornSlayer on Wed May 21, 2014 9:23 pm

Where I've had people try this with me it's been often flat rate or no spoil trench type games where it can be hard to gain a foothold. they may get just enough troops in a turn to either defend themselves against another attack, or gain some ground only to lose it back. so sometimes I think they try and 'play dead' hoping you will use your troops to contend with a more dangeorus enemy, then when they do move they get the troops to gain ground, and the deferred troops laid on to hold it. Of course if you play by the policy of 'never believe a deadbeat is a deadbeat' then that strategy often backfires on them. Either way though I tend to see this as a 'cheap tactic' for some reason.
Lieutenant ZornSlayer

Postby Gweeedo on Sun May 25, 2014 2:31 pm

It is a viable strategy and legitimate within the rules.

It is OK to use it.
Take the Game Supremacy (and many other games), the first player who uses Nukes is going to be frowned upon (viewed with disapproval), after that, it is open season...it is in the rules and everybody will use it to their advantage.

Even those who bitch and moan about such tactics, will use it if the end result is sure to bring them victory.
Same with braking a treaty, not used all the time or even on a regular basis...only if victory is in sight.

Who wants to nuke 150 of their own units?
I did that once. In the course of A game I ended up nuking over 150 of my own units. I can guarantee, I will never do that again...no need for it.

Postby Shannon Apple on Sun May 25, 2014 2:55 pm

I have been playing a polymorphic no spoils game vs a guy and he was doing the same, missing 2 turns sometimes with one colour so that he'd drop a stack against me. He did it several times after he realised that the game was lost. To be honest, I just don't want to play with people like this. They suck all the fun out of the game by making it drag on for several rounds more than needed in the hopes that you'll get fed up or something. No idea really why they'd do it. I checked and the guy was taking all of his other turns. If it's lost, just flippin end it and quick being a butthead.
00:33:53 ā€¹riskllamaā€ŗ will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I doubt it
00:34:30 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun May 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:I have been playing a polymorphic no spoils game vs a guy and he was doing the same, missing 2 turns sometimes with one colour so that he'd drop a stack against me. He did it several times after he realised that the game was lost. To be honest, I just don't want to play with people like this. They suck all the fun out of the game by making it drag on for several rounds more than needed in the hopes that you'll get fed up or something. No idea really why they'd do it. I checked and the guy was taking all of his other turns. If it's lost, just flippin end it and quick being a butthead.

If it something they do on a regular basis you can report them. It falls under being intentionally annoying; like people who miss two consecutive turns in a 1v1 and play the third, and do so frequently.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Shannon Apple on Sun May 25, 2014 6:50 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:I have been playing a polymorphic no spoils game vs a guy and he was doing the same, missing 2 turns sometimes with one colour so that he'd drop a stack against me. He did it several times after he realised that the game was lost. To be honest, I just don't want to play with people like this. They suck all the fun out of the game by making it drag on for several rounds more than needed in the hopes that you'll get fed up or something. No idea really why they'd do it. I checked and the guy was taking all of his other turns. If it's lost, just flippin end it and quick being a butthead.

If it something they do on a regular basis you can report them. It falls under being intentionally annoying; like people who miss two consecutive turns in a 1v1 and play the third, and do so frequently.

Yeah, if someone joined a number of my games and did that in every one that they were losing, I'd probably report them because it's intentionally wasting my time in the hopes that they can pull an unfair win. I don't feel that one game is enough, although as you say, it's really friggen annoying. Rated accordingly. :D
00:33:53 ā€¹riskllamaā€ŗ will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I doubt it
00:34:30 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Osiros on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:37 pm

The easy fix to this is simply don't allow deferred troops. If you miss a turn, you miss a turn. Most games give you 24 hours to make a move. If you can't do that in that big window of time, you shouldn't be rewarded later whenever you get around to playing. To me, its rewarding those who miss a turn and there really is no penalty for missing their turn, unless of course they get knocked out beforehand. But, getting rid of deferred troops solves the issue no matter what the reason is.
Corporal Osiros

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:51 am

I completely agree. I have been saying for ages that deferred troops should be removed from the game.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby TheFlashPoint on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:12 am

I recently saw a great use of the missed turn: rounds 98 and 99 of a 100 round flat rate classic game. All three remaining players had enormous stacks protecting bonuses, and the other two players had been very aggressive towards each other all game. On round 100, the turn skipper came back, cashed a 3 card rainbow, and dropped a troop load down.
Major TheFlashPoint

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:30 am

There may be an exploit in a few situations like that, but in the vast majority of cases a person misses a turn simply because real life gets too busy. When you miss a turn you already miss a chance to take a card and/or expand your bonus and/or anything else that might give you an edge. To also lose your deferred troops would be double jeopardy.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:06 am

Dukasaur wrote:There may be an exploit in a few situations like that, but in the vast majority of cases a person misses a turn simply because real life gets too busy. When you miss a turn you already miss a chance to take a card and/or expand your bonus and/or anything else that might give you an edge. To also lose your deferred troops would be double jeopardy.

So what? Real life is more important than an online risk game so if you miss a few turns then so be it. The majority of people have sitters and those that don't can find one easily enough if they have the common sense to.

Deferred troops mess the game up.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Gweeedo on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:25 pm

There is much more to it then simply eliminating deferred troops.
Much more involved then meets the eye.

Differed troops are a pain...a pain we can live with.

Postby RiskTycoon on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:48 pm

deffered troops are only a problem for players/teams who don't know how to plan for them. They just keep on keepin' on without regard....
If you pause and prepare.... deffered troops can be dealt with. If you keep at it, all clueless like, then of course you are going to complain.
Which leads me to believe that when someone complains about deffered troops they really haven't a clue.

I wouldn't say it's clever or cheap. It just is.
"How do you like that? Even among misfits you're a misfit!"
Major RiskTycoon

Postby clowncar on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:56 am

I have a bigger problem just with the fact they are sort of intentionally wasting my time. I don't want people crushed for missing a turn ... imagine something keeping you from playing your turn or contacting a sitter and you have a ton of open games. Eliminating deferred troops is too harsh a punishment for a person whose life just gets in the way of an online board game. With that said, some punishment is in order. Perhaps a punishment where one gets half of their troops deferred to them on their next turn thus punishing them for missing their turn but not crushing them for it. It would largely remove the strategic advantages of most missed turns as well. My two cents anyway.
Sergeant 1st Class clowncar

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:02 pm

clowncar wrote:I have a bigger problem just with the fact they are sort of intentionally wasting my time. I don't want people crushed for missing a turn ... imagine something keeping you from playing your turn or contacting a sitter and you have a ton of open games. Eliminating deferred troops is too harsh a punishment for a person whose life just gets in the way of an online board game. With that said, some punishment is in order. Perhaps a punishment where one gets half of their troops deferred to them on their next turn thus punishing them for missing their turn but not crushing them for it. It would largely remove the strategic advantages of most missed turns as well. My two cents anyway.

On the more modern maps a lot of the bonusus are in the form of autodeploys anyway. Autodeploys don't get deferred, so missing a turn is very often a major penalty. Losing your autodeploys on any of the really good maps: King's Court, Baltic Crusade, Roark's Drift, Transsib1914, costs you a huge amount in autodeploys. Even on some of the older maps like AOR2, the autodeploys are such a big part of your bonus that losing them is fatal.

Then, consider that the majority of games on the site are escalating. Missing a turn is missing a card. Missing one turn might be okay, but missing more than one pretty much puts you out of the running for having a set when the killing begins.

I'd say it's a pretty heavy price to pay already.

I very rarely miss turns, but on those occasion that it happens I would hate to be kneecapped even more than the lack of a card already does.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Gweeedo on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:13 am

Deliberately missing turns...Clever strategy or cheap tactic?

Yah, we all hate it when somebody misses a turn on purpose...get over it.
Players will play it any way they wish.
Once you use it and find out you can win when using it, others will follow...much as in real War.
If you say you have never missed a turn on purpose, you have never played Nuke or you are lying.

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion