Conquer Club

Why does the little guy do it?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Why does the little guy do it?

Postby crispybits on Wed May 21, 2014 2:46 am

Noticed a few times over the past few months that in a 3 way fight where all 3 players are playing a bit of a chess game and feeling each other out, testing each other's borders and resolve to hold onto certain areas of the map, etc (we've all been in them, I don't mean stalemated games I mean those games where it might take 10, 20, 30 or even more turns to see significant changes and for the winner to emerge) - in those games it's more often than not the littlest guy of the 3 who makes some sort of significant move first and I don't understand it.

If I'm the little guy in that sort of situation I'll bunker down, get my defences right and get some sort of plan in place in my head for when the two bigger guys go at it, and then I'll wait. Let them have the arms race they will most likely have and stay under the radar as much as possible. Not present a threat to either, try not to piss either of them off when I'm getting a card and leave card spots for both of them if possible that don't hurt me.

But often I see the little guy being the one to choose one or the other big guns and taking him on, leaving both him and the guy he hit easy pickings for the untouched other bigger guy.

I see no sense in it - but maybe it's just because it's a style alien to me. Is it actually a viable strategy and how does it work if so?

Edit - the onus, it seems to me, is on the second biggest guy. He can potentially weaken the biggest guy enough to win still without leaving himself too exposed to the little guy if he moves quickly. But if HE waits, then eventually the biggest guy will become bigger than the other two combined and win by default.
Major crispybits

Re: Why does the little guy do it?

Postby AyeTrain on Wed May 21, 2014 10:17 am

Could be that the #3 player has the least to lose. If #1 and #2 are playing logically, then neither will want to hit back too hard, for fear of upsetting the balance. And if they do, well, he's already losing, so he just gets eliminated earlier. So if they respond in a restrained manner, there's a good chance that he can add a small territory and get just a bit bigger. The catch is to be very careful not to overdo it: nibble just a bit, to not hand the game to the 3rd player. And alternate nibbles if possible, to avoid pissing one player off.

Turtling is a perfectly good strategy, but it's slow and frustrating when you're on the bottom. This strategy gives you a bit more control over the game.
Major AyeTrain

Postby Gweeedo on Wed May 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Might be some players are a bit more aggressive than others, impatient, bored, shit dice, no hope.
Often times I might attack a player who is playing like shit, knowing that he is wanting a long drawn out battle (not picking up on other players mistakes)...It is over before it begins.

Being the possible recipient of such actions, you best make sure you take into consideration previous games, ratings (yours included), rank, forum posts, chat, age, gender, etc.

Risk is big on players senselessly assaulting for no reason other than they don't like you (something that you are doing).
Sergeant 1st Class Gweeedo

Postby Dukasaur on Wed May 21, 2014 6:36 pm

AyeTrain wrote:Could be that the #3 player has the least to lose. If #1 and #2 are playing logically, then neither will want to hit back too hard, for fear of upsetting the balance. And if they do, well, he's already losing, so he just gets eliminated earlier. So if they respond in a restrained manner, there's a good chance that he can add a small territory and get just a bit bigger. The catch is to be very careful not to overdo it: nibble just a bit, to not hand the game to the 3rd player. And alternate nibbles if possible, to avoid pissing one player off.

Turtling is a perfectly good strategy, but it's slow and frustrating when you're on the bottom. This strategy gives you a bit more control over the game.

Yeah. If nobody makes a move and just builds, the little guy is sure to lose. Doing something to upset the applecart is his only chance. He might still lose, but he goes from losing for sure to losing maybe, which is a promotion.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Wed May 21, 2014 6:56 pm

i occasionally do it though not usually successfully in round limits near the end ; if I get the sense player 1 and 2 are going to sit it out and hope the have the post, I may announce i'm attacking the next player this one round to knock hiom to #2 and say that if he hopes to win , he'd better hit the player after him... I hope that will make the 2 leaders fight ... unfortunately it rarely works , but as Duk says a slim hope is better than none
I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when....

If 2 player fog game,please allow 12 hour snap courtesy, or post what I could have seen.... Thank you
General t4mcr53s2

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:51 am

Also, the stronger players often push against the weakest to obtain as many bonuses as possible in their arms race against each other. Attacking out as the weakest player can sometimes avoid just sitting still and waiting to die.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Gweeedo on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Sometimes it is good to play with people, Action, reaction.
Sometimes I will do something to see a little action, just to see if I am able to piss somebody off, I want to observe how he reacts.
I do this if I think the game is going to be long and drawn out. If I learn that I am up against stable players I will continue, if not I will end it (allow him to end it).
Sergeant 1st Class Gweeedo

Postby Donald Fung on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:38 pm

If he rolls out the one with less points, its probably so he could lose less points.
Colonel Donald Fung

Return to Conquer Club Discussion