Conquer Club

Strategy for large, no spoils, standard, classic

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Strategy for large, no spoils, standard, classic

Postby Yynatago on Thu May 29, 2014 12:58 am

Game 13495969 is a 12 player (now 8 player) Standard no spoil game on the classic map in round 14. I'm finding myself reasonably strong but without a continent and am at lost as to what a good strategy in this situation would be.

Since its not terminator, there's little benefit in me eliminating anyone at this stage, provided they are not a threat. Therefore I turtle.

If everyone continues to turtle like the smart ones are, then I can see the three leaders holding Africa, Australia and SA will continue to widen their lead.

I suspect teaming up with someone would be my best course of action, but who with and what do we do?

Whilst advice specific advice to this game is appreciated, I'm most interested in advice applicable to such standard spoils games.
Colonel Yynatago

Re: Strategy for large, no spoils, standard, classic

Postby AyeTrain on Thu May 29, 2014 11:05 am

Those are hard settings, on a hard map. Too many players, too few bonuses.

About all you can do is turtle, don't make anyone mad, and wait for someone to make a mistake. At first I thought that you should not be turtling in the middle of Asia: too many enemies around you. On the other hand, your stack is pretty large by now so an enemy would have to be mad to waste himself assaulting you. In which case, you're well-placed to move into Europe, Africa, or Australia should the opportunity present itself.

An alliance with another small player won't help much. But Gray can't last much longer: what if you offered a non-aggression pact to Purple, in exchange for them letting you take Europe? If they ask why they shouldn't take it for themselves, the answer is that would make them the #1 target, and there's too many strong armies around for that to be a good idea at this point.
Major AyeTrain

Postby Arama86n on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:29 am

Yynatago wrote:Game 13495969 is a 12 player (now 8 player) Standard no spoil game on the classic map in round 14. I'm finding myself reasonably strong but without a continent and am at lost as to what a good strategy in this situation would be.

Since its not terminator, there's little benefit in me eliminating anyone at this stage, provided they are not a threat. Therefore I turtle.

If everyone continues to turtle like the smart ones are, then I can see the three leaders holding Africa, Australia and SA will continue to widen their lead.

I suspect teaming up with someone would be my best course of action, but who with and what do we do?

Whilst advice specific advice to this game is appreciated, I'm most interested in advice applicable to such standard spoils games.

First of all may I suggest switching NS for FR (when talking 8player Classic). Yes, you risk the game ending fast when the first rainbows hit the floor, but as your skill and vision increase you will be the one benefiting in those scenarios. In Long games.. well FR essentially becomes a faster NS with more incentive to move, and at least poke each-other for cards. A very positive thing (especially before round limits when I started my CC career by playing 200ish of these games).

Ok: it's round one and your looking at the drop. What to do?
Bonuses? Forget them. Unless you've got 3/4 or 4/4 of Oceania, then forget it. And when I did get 3/4 of Oceania I'd hang my head and mutter. 3/4 of SA is even more cause for headache.
The strategy is to stack and be as inconspicuous as possible while your opponents scramble for bonuses and the playing field is reduced to 4 players or so.
To go into detail you are looking for a place in Asia, Europe or North America (preferably) where you have two or more adjacent regions. This is where you make a stack by dropping there, and forting the adjacent regions to increase your stack. If you are playing FR like I suggested, you take any easy 1's, but otherwise relax the first few rounds. Easy 1's will soon appear. If your adjacent regions were in EU or NA, you begin gliding towards Asia if you can.
You keep your eyes open as people begin to bleed out fighting for bonuses. Position yourself to swoop in and steal a kill if you can. This is an interesting part of the game where you might end up with a bonus. Example: two people are fighting hard for Africa, you swoop in and steal a kill, cash a rainbow and kill the next guy. another cash. What do you know? You are now master of Africa.
If your not so lucky you eventually move to a prime location like Dubai. Close to everything, 6 adjacent regions to card... you get the picture.
Sooner or later your opportunity will appear if you are patient. with experience you'll know it when you see it.

If your not one of the last 3 (well definitely last 4) players left, you've probably made a mistake, or been unlucky enough to have someone hunt you for non-logical reasons.
When it gets down to 3 players, it can get hard. Three player games are hard. But if your always one of the last three left, and win those 33% of the time. The your getting the points off 7 players every third game... not bad :)
Ofc it's the three player part that drove me mad, and thus you'll find me in team games only these days.

If you feel I've wasted your time because you insist on NS, then I'm sorry. Buy my firm opinion is that if your good, when it comes to 8player Classic standard, you will gain by switching to FR. Try it for 15 games.

PS I; being the strongest player is rarely a good thing, until you have but one opponent left ofc ;)
PS II; 12player games should only enforce most of what I'm saying about the early game. Keep your self out of the fight for the small bonuses, but hover in a good position t swoop in for kills. Just don't get greedy. even after early kills in a 12 player, pull back again, let the others continue fighting and await the next kill. Unless you insist on NS ofc, where kills give you nothing. NS will make it rather harder to secure a bonus in the mid-game, as you can't help yourself with playing vulture.

Good luck. I really love 8player FR Classic. But I'm not interested in mind games, manipulation and so called "diplomacy" that is needed to elevate you for very good to master at this setting. That and the fact the 3 player games are excruciating at times. And well, by logic, 8 player games must pass the 3 player game stage at some point.
Thanks for giving me an excuse to ramble on about this, I do miss the old days :(

Edit: I should add on a cynical note, that the prerequisite for playing these settings at all is that there are still 85% amateurs playing it. I once invited 7 typical Majors to two games... what do you think happened? In one game no one was stupid enough to die, in another game one person died. Both games went on for hundreds of rounds until eventual deadbeats occurred. That is the other reason I stopped playing these. What fun is it playing a game who's whole premise is based on other people's incompetence.
Switching standard to Terminator would solve that problem, at the same time creating it's own problems as you become the highest ranked player in the game. Inconspicuous hiding in Asia won't save you anymore when your a Colonel. They'll beat through the jungle to execute you.
Major Arama86n

Postby Mr Changsha on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:44 am

Arama86n wrote:
Yynatago wrote:Game 13495969 is a 12 player (now 8 player) Standard no spoil game on the classic map in round 14. I'm finding myself reasonably strong but without a continent and am at lost as to what a good strategy in this situation would be.

First of all may I suggest switching NS for FR (when talking 8player Classic). Yes, you risk the game ending fast when the first rainbows hit the floor, but as your skill and vision increase you will be the one benefiting in those scenarios. In Long games.. well FR essentially becomes a faster NS with more incentive to move, and at least poke each-other for cards. A very positive thing (especially before round limits when I started my CC career by playing 200ish of these games).

Ok: it's round one and your looking at the drop. What to do?
Bonuses? Forget them. Unless you've got 3/4 or 4/4 of Oceania, then forget it. And when I did get 3/4 of Oceania I'd hang my head and mutter. 3/4 of SA is even more cause for headache.
The strategy is to stack and be as inconspicuous as possible while your opponents scramble for bonuses and the playing field is reduced to 4 players or so.
To go into detail you are looking for a place in Asia, Europe or North America (preferably) where you have two or more adjacent regions. This is where you make a stack by dropping there, and forting the adjacent regions to increase your stack. If you are playing FR like I suggested, you take any easy 1's, but otherwise relax the first few rounds. Easy 1's will soon appear. If your adjacent regions were in EU or NA, you begin gliding towards Asia if you can.
You keep your eyes open as people begin to bleed out fighting for bonuses. Position yourself to swoop in and steal a kill if you can. This is an interesting part of the game where you might end up with a bonus. Example: two people are fighting hard for Africa, you swoop in and steal a kill, cash a rainbow and kill the next guy. another cash. What do you know? You are now master of Africa.
If your not so lucky you eventually move to a prime location like Dubai. Close to everything, 6 adjacent regions to card... you get the picture.
Sooner or later your opportunity will appear if you are patient. with experience you'll know it when you see it.

If your not one of the last 3 (well definitely last 4) players left, you've probably made a mistake, or been unlucky enough to have someone hunt you for non-logical reasons.
When it gets down to 3 players, it can get hard. Three player games are hard. But if your always one of the last three left, and win those 33% of the time. The your getting the points off 7 players every third game... not bad :)
Ofc it's the three player part that drove me mad, and thus you'll find me in team games only these days.

If you feel I've wasted your time because you insist on NS, then I'm sorry. Buy my firm opinion is that if your good, when it comes to 8player Classic standard, you will gain by switching to FR. Try it for 15 games.

PS I; being the strongest player is rarely a good thing, until you have but one opponent left ofc ;)
PS II; 12player games should only enforce most of what I'm saying about the early game. Keep your self out of the fight for the small bonuses, but hover in a good position t swoop in for kills. Just don't get greedy. even after early kills in a 12 player, pull back again, let the others continue fighting and await the next kill. Unless you insist on NS ofc, where kills give you nothing. NS will make it rather harder to secure a bonus in the mid-game, as you can't help yourself with playing vulture.

Good luck. I really love 8player FR Classic. But I'm not interested in mind games, manipulation and so called "diplomacy" that is needed to elevate you for very good to master at this setting. That and the fact the 3 player games are excruciating at times. And well, by logic, 8 player games must pass the 3 player game stage at some point.
Thanks for giving me an excuse to ramble on about this, I do miss the old days :(

Edit: I should add on a cynical note, that the prerequisite for playing these settings at all is that there are still 85% amateurs playing it. I once invited 7 typical Majors to two games... what do you think happened? In one game no one was stupid enough to die, in another game one person died. Both games went on for hundreds of rounds until eventual deadbeats occurred. That is the other reason I stopped playing these. What fun is it playing a game who's whole premise is based on other people's incompetence.
Switching standard to Terminator would solve that problem, at the same time creating it's own problems as you become the highest ranked player in the game. Inconspicuous hiding in Asia won't save you anymore when your a Colonel. They'll beat through the jungle to execute you.

Too true (relating to your final cynical point)..

My happiest time really on CC was building a rank playing just the games you have described and yes, they simply don't work against solid oppostion.

These days I have found round limits help and, most recently, I have started putting my private games on to usa 2.1 (sunny, parachute, nuclear). It works very well, the games are open and a lot of fun.

I would say if you fancy joining one send me a message, unfortunately having set up EIGHT large private games on france and usa 2.1 I won't be setting up another for months. ;)
Colonel Mr Changsha

Return to Conquer Club Discussion