Conquer Club

The unOfficial Battle for Iraq! Strategy Guide.

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

The unOfficial Battle for Iraq! Strategy Guide.

Postby mibi on Fri May 09, 2008 8:25 pm

Welcome to Iraq...

Click image to enlarge.

...things are a little complicated here.

There are many facets to this map and hopefully this guide will help you navigate the perilous sand the covers this forsaken land.

You can attempt to win this map by conquering the territories but with all the sectarian conflict, it is best to ally your self with a faction.

al-Queda: The power of subversion.

al-Queda has a total resistance of 27 and a total bonus of 18. Generally favorable in the Sunni areas, they are hated most elsewhere. Once one city falls to al-queda the group can spread quickly to most of the cities in Iraq. Their bonus structure is resilient as their influence is broad. They can be a lethal combination with just a hand full of cities in their control.

United States: The power of overwhelming force

The United States has a total resistence of 36 and total bonus of 24. The US are not welcome participants in Iraqi cities and all cities will put up considerable resistance. That matters not to the US forces however, their bonus structure provide the greatest total crushing power. They do have an achillies heal, the green zone. If you attempt to ally with the US, you must hold the green zone at all costs, otherwise your troops will be demoralized and your power cut in half.

Baathist: The power of allegiance

The Baathist have a resistence of 18 and a total bonus of 12. With much of the population tolerant of the Baathists it wont be hard to find cities will some measure of loyalty. A few al-Qaeda dominated cities will provide problems for the Baathists but most cities are quick to align. The main problem for the Baathists is their lack of any real power since the fall of Saddam, only +1 per city, but for cunning players that may be all you need.

Mahdi Army: The power of population

The Mahdi Army has a total resistence of 26 and total bonus of 21. Mahdi influence is pread throughout the region although you will find them most receptive in Shia territory. The Mahdi can present themselves as a powerful adversary as long as they can russel of the numbers to support the offensive. Only four aligned cities can summon a +7 bonus, however only three cities and have a disorganized mob with no bonus. The Mahdi Army has a strong hold in east Baghdad and can cause an uprising there at whim.

One final note about loyalties. Supporting two factions in the same city can be hazardous, holding three can be disastrous. The chaos can only be neutralized by holding all factions, in which case the city becomes a total wasteland and of no value at all.

Traditional Territory Bonuses.

Due to all the sectarian violence, it is impossible for two sects to control all of their territories. Controlling a geographical core is possible, but only for two sects at a time.

Kurd and all Kurd: The northern territories, only 4 for kurd (+4) and 6 for all kurd (+6) including Ta'mim and Dyala.
Sunni and all Sunnis: Expansive but only 4 territories for Sunni (+4) but 7 for all Sunni (+7) including Ta'mim, Dyala, and Muthana. Sunni territory included the powerful Anbar province.
Shia and all Shia: Eastern states consist of 6 territories for Shia (+5) and 8 for all Shia (+8) including Muthanna and the hotly contested Dyala.

Baghdad Bonuses.

Baghdad presents a kings random of power for those who can control all 10 territories with 8 borders. A total of +8 is possible when the whole city is controlled. The Mahdi region is the only one that is not bisected by the green zone, so let this be a warning for those who attempt to hold the US stronghold. Also keep in mind that the Mahdi areas are vulnerable to any Mahdi loyalty square. Baghdad is a melting pot of explosives forces, enjoy the view.

Movement.

Movement many seem a little complicated at first, but its easily decipherable.
All territories can attack territories on its borders.
Cities can be attack from the province it is in.
Cities can also be attacked via the road if they are directly connected with no city in between.
Cities can also attack the province they are in.
Cities can attack from their city circle to any loyalty square of the corresponding city.
Certain loyalty squares can attack other map territories according to legend.

everything else should be explain by the legend.

Good luck! and post your own strategies here as well.!
Last edited by mibi on Sun May 25, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain mibi

Re: The Official Battle for Iraq! Strategy Guide.

Postby bbqpenguin on Fri May 09, 2008 10:01 pm

this map overwhelms my simple mind. then again, i can barely handle classic...
Sergeant 1st Class bbqpenguin

Postby Timminz on Fri May 09, 2008 10:22 pm

While I'm pretty stuck in my ways, and don't stray much from the "traditional" style maps, I think your map is an amazing concept. I'm actually keen to try it, which I couldn't say about a lot of the newer maps. Nicely done.
Captain Timminz

Postby Iron Butterfly on Sat May 10, 2008 4:29 pm

You forgot The power of the media to subvert anything positive accomplished or gained.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby bbqpenguin on Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 pm

Iron Butterfly wrote:You forgot The power of the media to subvert anything positive accomplished or gained.

and what about the iranian dealers, trainers, and financial supporters that fund the bad guys and hinder the US at every possible opportunity?
Sergeant 1st Class bbqpenguin

Postby mibi on Sat May 10, 2008 7:55 pm

bbqpenguin wrote:
Iron Butterfly wrote:You forgot The power of the media to subvert anything positive accomplished or gained.

and what about the iranian dealers, trainers, and financial supporters that fund the bad guys and hinder the US at every possible opportunity?

I was going to include positive aspects of the war in Iraq but the liberal media approached me and convinced me other wise. I was also going to include the Iranian aspect but i didn't have any room to fit Kermit Roosevelt, Jr.
Captain mibi

Postby Mr_Adams on Sat May 10, 2008 8:30 pm

who would WANT to have power there? :lol:
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby mibi on Sat May 10, 2008 9:18 pm

Mr_Adams wrote:who would WANT to have power there? :lol:

Yeah, who would want to control the worlds 2nd largest oil reserve, that would be silly.
Captain mibi

Postby Gemmasta on Thu May 22, 2008 2:18 am

Its needs time like the rest of games.. im having hard time with games like this which takes more considerable time to figure it out before you make your moves, not like the standards one where you can moves in a hurry/ speed games.. especially when you just start playing :geek:

ps: hardly any room for errors
Sergeant Gemmasta

Postby Incandenza on Thu May 22, 2008 4:11 am

I've been having a few "damn, I'm glad I've been following the map in the foundry for the last six months, this gives me a nice head start on the general populace" moments.

Lovin' this map. Especially with the fog.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby RoyInAtlanta on Sun May 25, 2008 11:08 am

This comment confuses me:
"One final note about loyalties. Supporting two factions in the same city can be hazardous, holding three can be disastrous. The chaos can only be neutralized by holding all factions, in which case the city becomes a total wasteland and of no value at all."

Are you saying that when you conquer all four, you don't get ANY faction bonuses?
I was interpreting the instructions to mean that you could align with two (or more) factions, and you can either take the negative bonuses, but when you align with all four, then there is no negative bonus, but you would still get each faction bonus.

e.g. If you align with Bathist and US, you get +1 for Bathist, +1 for US, and -1 for two loyalties. IF you have all four loyalties, you still get the +1 for Bathist loyalty and +1 for US, but no negative bonus. Correct or incorrect?
Lieutenant RoyInAtlanta

Postby mibi on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:42 pm

RoyInAtlanta wrote:This comment confuses me:
"One final note about loyalties. Supporting two factions in the same city can be hazardous, holding three can be disastrous. The chaos can only be neutralized by holding all factions, in which case the city becomes a total wasteland and of no value at all."

Are you saying that when you conquer all four, you don't get ANY faction bonuses?
I was interpreting the instructions to mean that you could align with two (or more) factions, and you can either take the negative bonuses, but when you align with all four, then there is no negative bonus, but you would still get each faction bonus.

e.g. If you align with Bathist and US, you get +1 for Bathist, +1 for US, and -1 for two loyalties. IF you have all four loyalties, you still get the +1 for Bathist loyalty and +1 for US, but no negative bonus. Correct or incorrect?

You are correct.
Captain mibi

Postby leifur2000 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:38 am

I clicked accidentally to advance and found my 13 armies advancing right into a baathist loyalty. Am i doomed at this dead end as these armies are now totally unusable?
Corporal 1st Class leifur2000

Postby Mafkaas on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:18 pm

I dont really get the loyalty thing. How do i ally with a group and how do i find out wich cities are loyal to what groups?
Maybe a noob question but i am just missing a point.
Lieutenant Mafkaas

Postby mibi on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:18 am

Mafkaas wrote:I dont really get the loyalty thing. How do i ally with a group and how do i find out wich cities are loyal to what groups?
Maybe a noob question but i am just missing a point.

once you take a city you can take any of the loyalties that correspond to that city. If you want to align with the bathists just attack the baathist loyalty square from the city. It is not advised to hold more than one loyalty in a city.

to find out which cities are loyal to which, just look at the loyalty squares, the ones that don't have neutrals have been chosen by a player. although to get the bonus you need to hold the city and loyalty.
Captain mibi

Postby Mafkaas on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:59 pm

Thx for your reply. I got it working now. Due to a mistake i moved a total of 21 army's into a loyalty square. How can i move them out again? Or are they lost forever? I cant seem to select the loyalty square when i am at my fortify step.
Lieutenant Mafkaas

Postby mibi on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:52 pm

Mafkaas wrote:Thx for your reply. I got it working now. Due to a mistake i moved a total of 21 army's into a loyalty square. How can i move them out again? Or are they lost forever? I cant seem to select the loyalty square when i am at my fortify step.

If they are baathist or mahdi army, they are in there forever!
Captain mibi

Postby Bboru on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:51 am

mibi wrote:If they are baathist or mahdi army, they are in there forever!

I've read the reasoning for this in the Foundry thread. I still question why it's not considered a map flaw if it's possible for a player to have no other turn choices then reinforcing their Bathist/US loyalty territories, or allowing themselves to time out and get kicked out for missing three turns. I know it would effect playability, but wouldn't allowing these loyalties the ability to at least attack the their host cities be a better option?
Captain Bboru

Postby mibi on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:10 am

Bboru wrote:
mibi wrote:If they are baathist or mahdi army, they are in there forever!

I've read the reasoning for this in the Foundry thread. I still question why it's not considered a map flaw if it's possible for a player to have no other turn choices then reinforcing their Bathist/US loyalty territories, or allowing themselves to time out and get kicked out for missing three turns. I know it would effect playability, but wouldn't allowing these loyalties the ability to at least attack the their host cities be a better option?

I think allowing them to attack the host city is reasonable. You should post this in the Iraq map development thread.
Captain mibi

Postby Sargeant_Pepper on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:50 am

Hope I'm posting in the right place.
1. I'd like to know, if I am green with one army in US loyalty, and yellow has one army in Madhi loyalty OF THE SAME CITY, (there are 3 neutrals in the other two loyalties). What is the alignment of the city?
2. Someone posted above "If they are baathist or mahdi army, they are in there forever!"
Therefore: if they are US or alQ, they are not subject to this "feature." Could you explain how forces in the US loyalty or AlQ loyalty are supposed to "escape"? Also, if the Madhi army can attack the Madhi area of Baghdad, can't they fortify there also? AlQ loyalties can attack any Suni City, can they also [not] fortify there? I fail to understand how can US forces be moved away from a US loyalty. Couldn't a player also attack from Baathist to US, and then on the next (or same) turn, fortify (or attack->move) them out?
3. To attack another loyalty ANYWHERE ON THE MAPcmy army must either be: (a) exist in another loyalty square OF THE SAME CITY, or (b) have forces in the CITY of the loyalty I want to attack. Are these the ONLY two ways?

thanks
Visit Felipe Alvarez's website.
Private 1st Class Sargeant_Pepper

Postby Sargeant_Pepper on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:46 pm

any help guys?

Postby Sargeant_Pepper on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:56 am

Do I need to wipe out enemy forces INSIDE the city loyalties as well as anything on the map? Since they are (more or less) stuck there, can I just win if I take out all their forces on the main map?

Postby Incandenza on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:07 am

Sargeant_Pepper wrote:Hope I'm posting in the right place.
1. I'd like to know, if I am green with one army in US loyalty, and yellow has one army in Madhi loyalty OF THE SAME CITY, (there are 3 neutrals in the other two loyalties). What is the alignment of the city?

Whoever owns the actual city gets the bonus (or credit toward the bonus, in the case of mahdi army and al-qaeda).

Sargeant_Pepper wrote:2. Someone posted above "If they are baathist or mahdi army, they are in there forever!"
Therefore: if they are US or alQ, they are not subject to this "feature." Could you explain how forces in the US loyalty or AlQ loyalty are supposed to "escape"? Also, if the Madhi army can attack the Madhi area of Baghdad, can't they fortify there also? AlQ loyalties can attack any Suni City, can they also [not] fortify there? I fail to understand how can US forces be moved away from a US loyalty. Couldn't a player also attack from Baathist to US, and then on the next (or same) turn, fortify (or attack->move) them out?

US Army and Baathists cannot attack anything, armies advanced to those loyalties are essentially useless. Al-Qaeda and Mahdi Army can attack other targets (Sunni cities and the Mahdi sectors of Baghdad, respectively), and they can ALSO attack their own cities. City loyalties can NOT attack each other. And anywhere you can attack, you can fortify, though bear in mind that the attack and the fort can be one-way.

Sargeant_Pepper wrote:3. To attack another loyalty ANYWHERE ON THE MAPcmy army must either be: (a) exist in another loyalty square OF THE SAME CITY, or (b) have forces in the CITY of the loyalty I want to attack. Are these the ONLY two ways?

City loyalties can only be attacked from their city. As noted above, loyalty squares cannot attack each other.

Sargeant_Pepper wrote:Do I need to wipe out enemy forces INSIDE the city loyalties as well as anything on the map? Since they are (more or less) stuck there, can I just win if I take out all their forces on the main map?

Yes, you have to go through and kill every last enemy, even the ones that are stuck.

Hope that helps.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby Sargeant_Pepper on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks very much. That was an excellent explanation.

"If they are baathist or mahdi army, they are in there forever!"

It seems an above poster meant to say Baathist or US.

When I first started on this map I hated it. Now I find it a great challenge! Good job map makers

Postby Khiva on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:42 pm

Yeah, i've only played it once, but I love it. I just wish it was bigger.

And had more buildable bonuses/auto deploys, like Berlin1961 (but with better bombardment), poison territories like Dust bowl, and was on Mars...
Sergeant 1st Class Khiva

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion