Conquer Club

Apocalypse Z: Atlanta - v1.0 [2013-11-05]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Apocalypse Z: Atlanta - v1.0 [2013-11-05]

Postby Seamus76 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:08 am

show

Map Name: Apocalypse Z: Atlanta
Mapmaker(s): Seamus76 & V.J.
Number of Territories: 44
Special Features: Zombies
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: Auto-deploys, conditional borders, great graphics, and of course Zombies.

"$hit man, who doesn't want a map about Zombies?" says CC Map Reviewer Mas Sue67

Description: Apocalypse Z: Atlanta, is a Zombie themed map taking place in Atlanta, Georgia. Originally inspired by Risk: The Walking Dead(tm) Survival Edition by USAopoly(c) this map has taken the idea online and expanded the concept to include Zombie Swarms, Safe Havens, Patient Zeros, and the CDC headquartered here in Atlanta.

TERRITORIES

44 territories in total:
12 Patient Zero Zombies = +5 auto-deploy (attacked only by CDC)
2-3 Safe Havens = +?? bonus
2-3 Zombie Swarms = +?? auto-deploy (attacked only by Patient Zero Zombies)

BONUSES

Patient Zero = +5 auto-deploy
Safe Havens Bonus = +?? bonus (all start 5n)

CONDITIONAL BORDER

CDC = Can only be attacked by a player holding at least 1 Safe Haven (starts 5n)

STARTING POINTS

Currently ?? territories can be starting regions (?? regular terts, and 12 Patient Zero Zombies).

2p = ?? each = ?? total (?? reg terts plus 2 Patient Zero Zombie per player)
3p = ?? each = ?? total (?? reg terts plus 2 Patient Zero Zombie per player)
4p = ?? each = ?? total (?? reg terts plus 2 Patient Zero Zombie per player)
5p = ?? each = ?? total (?? reg terts plus 1 Patient Zero Zombie per player)
6p = ?? each = ?? total (?? reg terts plus 1 Patient Zero Zombie per player)
7p = ?? each = ?? total (?? reg terts plus 1 Patient Zero Zombie per player)
8p = ?? each = ?? total (?? reg terts plus 1 Patient Zero Zombie per player)
9p = ?? each = ?? total (?? reg terts plus 1 Patient Zero Zombie per player)
10p = ?? each = ?? total (?? reg terts plus 1 Patient Zero Zombie per player)
11p = ?? each = ?? total (?? reg terts plus 1 Patient Zero Zombie per player)

CURRENT MAP VERSION

v1.0 - Large (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.

CURRENT UPDATE INFO - 2013-11-04:
show

OLD MAP VERSIONS:
show

OLD UPDATE INFO:
show
Last edited by Seamus76 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Re: Apocalypse Z: Atlanta - v1.0 [2013-11-05]

Postby generalhead on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Yay, Zombies! =D>

This all stems if you are going to have the starting positions be only the zero patients kind of like the baseball map?

I would either have three swarm zones equal distances apart on the map with the CDC in the fourth corner or
have four swarms on the outside of the map with the CDC in the middle. That all depends on how fast and free you
want the players to be able to move around the board. The more swarms the faster the game will be. The less swarms the
slower the game will be.

Maybe you can do like you did for the West Atlanta swarm and The Air Force Base safe haven for all of the swarms. Have a wall
dividing the swarm from the safe haven so the player has to go around the wall and back to the outside before they have to head
to the CDC in the middle of the map.

Maybe you can have the territories around the CDC have decay because decay and zombies seem to go together, having a high
neutral count on the CDC.

This is probably a bad idea but I will throw it out there. You could have humans on the map and the zombies could be on Human regions (eating the humans) for a bonus. I know it sounds bad I just had to say it.

Might be cool to see some scary zombie faces on the map also if it fits in?

Love the concept buddy. Cant wait to see where it goes.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby RjBeals on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:21 pm

cool -

could you incorporate some of the major highways into the map? I remember the opening credits of walking dead shows I-85 with bumper to bumper leaving the city, no cars leading in. (I don't really like the muted google map in the background).
Private RjBeals

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:25 pm

I love the idea of a zombie vs humans map. I almost feel like you need to break the map into two halves (both on the same map). If each territory broken down into 2, 3, or 4 unit circles you could introduce some interesting gameplay.

If each territory has 1 "human " defensive circle and the remaining are simply neutrals then you can have the humans assault the other human territories in adjacent territories or bombard the "zombie" circles in the same territory.

Based on the number of territories I would make Duram's Lake the second swarm territory and not have a third. Then make it so that each swarm has one unit circle.

I would let the patient zero zombies assault the swarms or "zombie" territories that border the swarm. Smyrna, Sweetwater Creek, West Pines, Campbelton, Cliftondale, Flat Schoals, Fairburn.

Zombie circles could then assault other zombie circles in the same or adjacent territories. They could also assault the human territory but if you control a zombie and human circle the human circle borders change to assaulting neighboring zombie rather than human circles.

Zombie circles could not bombard/assault the Safe havens or CDC although they could surround them, only the Human circles could assault these territories.

Humans would could assault the CDC if they hold one safe haven. And the CDC can bombard patient Zero locations as well as zombie and human circles in territories where you control no zombie circles. I would also move the safe haven in fort gillem to lithonia for better spacing purposes although not necessary.

Oddly this map would have players both expanding and conquering human territories with their zombies while simultaneously trying to fend off the zombie invasion and take control of the human territories and gain access to the CDC.

I noticed that a previous comment suggested adding a highway or highways to the map. This could be interesting in letting the human circles along a highway assault any human circles along the highway or grant a bigger bonus for holding those although that may bee too much overall.

Zombie win condition would be to take all zombie circles and all human circles that are not the safe haven or CDC.

I think of this style of game being similar to a movie where the humans are being assaulted by the enemy and maybe they are doing a decent job of holding off the inevitable but in the end we all know what happens to them as their guns run out of ammo and the screen fades to black. In the end the Zombies must win.

Anyway that's my 13cents worth.

Hope that helps inspire you.

=D13=

Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby drunkmonkey on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:52 am

Next to "Mapmaker", you could at least be honest and say "USAopoly".

http://www.usaopoly.com/games/risk-walk ... al-edition
Major drunkmonkey

Postby Seamus76 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:50 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:Next to "Mapmaker", you could at least be honest and say "USAopoly".

http://www.usaopoly.com/games/risk-walk ... al-edition

Hey, thanks for your interest in the map. The layout was originally inspired by the walking dead game, as a way to incorporate the gameplay ideas I had prior to seeing this. The maps do have similarities in straight lines, and placement of legends, but they are different enough so as not to infringe on any copyrights or trademarks. I have not seen the actual game, or how the gameplay works, and as mentioned above used it as a base to build my own gameplay ideas. I did go ahead and add the link to their site in the OP, but I'm not sure that's necessary.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:04 am

Seems like a decent start but there isn't much to judge yet. I would be interested in seeing it progress. The first thing I would change from what I currently see is making the route map more transparent.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas