Conquer Club

territory trigger

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

territory trigger

Postby random21 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:17 pm

so here is another idea I was having, when you take a territory, can we code it so that it triggers a specific action?

A new map is created... Sinking of Atlantis... and there is a territory with 25 neutrals. Upon taking said territory, a bonus region of 8 territories is erased from the map... or sunk. Everything on it... dies.

i'm not particularly caring about this scenario. But basically I would want to know if you can have 'taking a territory' be coded to a specific action to result.

So all these ideas would involve taking neutral territories, where the number relates to the power of the desired effect. We could even make a new spoils through this.

At the end of a turn, instead of drawing a card from a deck... and gathering sets of 3, all players have a default territory off map just speciifically related to the spoils. So in this map, you get an automatic 100 troops that respawn to 100 after every turn you take, and there is a choice of neutral '1' territories you can take. From there, depending on what neutral territory single you take... a certain action follows. But the 100 troops only deals with the spoils, and never relates to the actual map.

Not being creative, lol, and taking this right out of some of the actual risk games... but we can edit what we want. Taking territory A, results in drawing 3 random cards from the deck, each territory gets +4. Taking territory B however, result in drawing 3 random cards from the deck, each territory gets -4 (1 troops must always remain). Taking territory c results in 3 random cards from the deck, each ... you name it- whatever we want... so Taking territory C secretly reveals a territory on the map to player, in following turns, if player takes this territory, he receives +5 instantly on that territory by trading card. So in future rounds, taking territory should trigger the card, and he should gain +5. He could receive it in that territory, or anywhere in the bonus he took it, so if you take beijing in a china bonus on a map, you can put it anywhere within the china bonus, or just 5 on beijing. Or whatever we want.

Or it can be something more direct like the above, where it affects the map, or whatever else we can think of that taking a territory can trigger by coding.

whaddya think folks? and programmers... possible? not possible? :D
Field Marshal random21

Re: territory trigger

Postby random21 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:03 pm

can someone copy paste this to a suggestion forum?
Field Marshal random21

Postby mcshanester29 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:36 pm

I think this would be a really great idea and would give maps all sort of different options...Is this possible in programing the xml?
Private mcshanester29

Postby bigWham on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:56 pm

random21 wrote:so here is another idea I was having, when you take a territory, can we code it so that it triggers a specific action?

A new map is created... Sinking of Atlantis... and there is a territory with 25 neutrals. Upon taking said territory, a bonus region of 8 territories is erased from the map... or sunk. Everything on it... dies.

Depending on what you mean by "erased from the map", I believe that this is possible using Transformationwhich has been released to the XML for some time, but is yet to be used. I encourage you, or others, to take up this challenge by creating a map as you describe!
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Return to Foundry Discussions