Conquer Club

3-D Pinwheels

Map suggestions, ideas and drafts... They all start life on the Drawing Board.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

3-D Pinwheels

Postby Minister X on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Map Name: 3-D Pinwheels
Mapmaker(s): Minister X
Number of Territories: 64
Special Features: none
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: Intriguing and unique geometry/geography.

Map Image:
[bigimg]Image[/bigimg]

I was inspired in part by the Chinese Checkers map because I appreciate the gameplay implications of symmetry. It's hard to find a map for a one-on-one game that minimizes the potential unfairness of the initial random drop. I also like maps that are easy to read and understand. I realize this is a peculiar personal idiosyncrasy but I suspect there may be a significant minority of members here who share it.

At one time I tried (unsuccessfully) to get a few maps accepted here but it's been a long time and I've forgotten most of the rules and processes and would appreciate the mentoring of anyone who thinks this map shows promise and can help me. I used to know how to code the whddayacallit but that skill has long since eroded and I'd need a willing coder/partner. It should be pretty easy since it's a simple map with a lot of repetition.

I see that there are seven Beta maps but only one added in the last three years. Is the site even still actively seeking new designs? If not, that's cool. There are plenty of maps here. If so, does this have even a remote chance of meriting refinement? I'm sure it could stand quite a bit. For starters the bonus amounts are just initial estimates and I'm not sure the white circles are needed.

Thank-you.
Major Minister X

Re: 3-D Pinwheels

Postby HitRed on Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:55 pm

Welcome back to the Foundry! I can XML this if needed.

HitRed
Major HitRed

Postby riskllama on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:01 pm

HR = helping

=D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby HitRed on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:18 pm

For the curious.

viewtopic.php?f=242&t=150702

Nice art.
Major HitRed

Postby Minister X on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:32 pm

HitRed: thank-you so much! Now let's see if the idea garners much approval.

BTW, when I said "I'm not sure the white circles are needed" I meant the big ones connecting the terts. Instead, I can find a place to fit this text in: "For example - C connects to A, B, D, E and the C above and/or below it." And getting rid of those big white circles will make the graphics MUCH nicer.
Major Minister X

Postby Minister X on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:50 pm

Here's what I mean:

Major Minister X

Postby HitRed on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:51 pm

Minister X wrote:HitRed: thank-you so much! Now let's see if the idea garners much approval.

BTW, when I said "I'm not sure the white circles are needed" I meant the big ones connecting the terts. Instead, I can find a place to fit this text in: "For example - C connects to A, B, D, E and the C above and/or below it." And getting rid of those big white circles will make the graphics MUCH nicer.

I think you need the connecting white circles. Without them I would think the center of the pinwheel connects every center shape.

Update: It does look better without them.
Major HitRed

Postby Minister X on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Doesn't the explanation at the bottom left take care of that? I could add "only". Or I could add "not G, I K, M or O."
Major Minister X

Postby HitRed on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Minister X wrote:Doesn't the explanation at the bottom left take care of that? I could add "only". Or I could add "not G, I K, M or O."

Your call. You could put a silver circle "the pin" in the middle and show it as impassable at the bottom.
Major HitRed

Postby ZaBeast on Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:29 pm

I don't see why more half levels can't be allowed. I'm thinking the K-B or G-N diagonals. I agree the map looks better without the white lines
Colonel ZaBeast

Postby Minister X on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:06 pm

Diagonal halves is an excellent idea. I'll add it to the next revision but I just got done with this one:

I tried all sorts of shapes for the impassable central symbols but this seemed best. I also changed the font of the title. I think these are improvements.
Major Minister X

Postby Minister X on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:16 pm

Next iteration:
1) diagonal halves added
2) some textual clarification about stars
3) spacing of letters and whatnot improved

Major Minister X

Postby HitRed on Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:45 pm

I would think the small triangles should have the troop circle more on the outside of the triangle to reduce stacking concerns. Some letters like F will need to be moved into another corner.
Major HitRed

Postby Minister X on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:38 am

Please educate me about "stacking". I'm assuming it refers to the letter plus numbers indicating troops deployed and I recall it being somewhat complicated. How much room is needed? How large should the little circles be? As the number expands in digits which way does the text grow? How large must the character be on the large and small maps? I was quite lackadaisical about placing circles and letters and I'm sure lots of adjustment is needed. Thanks!
Major Minister X

Postby HitRed on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:43 am

Minister X wrote:Please educate me about "stacking". I'm assuming it refers to the letter plus numbers indicating troops deployed and I recall it being somewhat complicated. How much room is needed? How large should the little circles be? As the number expands in digits which way does the text grow? How large must the character be on the large and small maps? I was quite lackadaisical about placing circles and letters and I'm sure lots of adjustment is needed. Thanks!

I don't have math on this. If troop counts went to 100 troops would the numbers reach the black area or run into a letter? If they reached 1,000 in escalating would they touch the black area or a letter? In the small triangles only, it would be best to center the troop circles and have the letters follow a pattern so they look ok. F would move down. H would move down left. J would move left, N up and so on.

Example: yellow triangle F could be covered by troops of 100 or 1,000.

Like the silver star in the center.
Major HitRed

Postby Minister X on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:50 am

I examined many existing maps. Quite a few don't have these little circles at all. A number have terts colored very much like the color that's used for some army numbers. I assume that because the army numbers are outlined in black they are considered perfectly readable even when the interior color exactly matches the territory background. I therefore assume I can get rid of these little white circles altogether. So here's a version like that, with many of the army number colors matching backgrounds, but note that my ability to create these army numbers graphically is limited, and they aren't as clear as they will appear if this map is published for use. To really see how this might work, look for green troopers on Classic Cities Madrid, several on Eurasia Mini, yellow on Cyprus, and several on Central America, to name just the most popular maps that lack these circles.

Major Minister X

Postby HitRed on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:28 pm

The troop circles might need a little bit of shading.
Last edited by HitRed on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major HitRed

Postby Minister X on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:07 pm

Minor adjustments and fixes...

[BigImg]Image[/BigImg]
Major Minister X

Postby DBandit70 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:56 am

Nice map I like it that looks like something I'd defiantly play I love the bright colors
Major DBandit70

Return to Drafting Room