Conquer Club

A Large Geographically Neutral Map Proposal

Map suggestions, ideas and drafts... They all start life on the Drawing Board.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

A Large Geographically Neutral Map Proposal

Postby missy_starlet on Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:28 pm

Map Name: The Ring
Mapmaker(s): missy_starlet
Number of Territories: 144
Special Features: Fully symmetrical about every axis. Will allow for the option of a "fixed" drop start, whereby every player has the exact same starting position as every other player. 144 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 16, 18, 24, allowing for a large number of equal starting positions for multiple multiplayer games. Continents must be 4 territories each to allow the symmetricalness across all axes
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: I am not aware of any map that exists which would allow this specific gameplay.. Each territory is exactly equivalent in strength and weakness to every other territory, so that the only variables are (1) the dice and (2) gameplay. If the site can allow for "neutral" dice gameplay (i.e. attacks and kills occur in a 1-to-1 ratio), this would turn this game into checkers with a Risk gameplay.

The edge territories (inner and outer edges) make up a continent. Orange and purple on the map.

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by missy_starlet on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal 1st Class missy_starlet

Re: A Large Geographically Neutral Map Proposal

Postby missy_starlet on Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:32 pm

I'm a migrant from Major Command. I'm not particulary popular there (actually, extremely unpopular). This map proposal got no traction there, not even a single reply. Hopefully you guys see something here that they don't.

Postby Mokerslag on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Great idea, i like the unique style of gameplay what you propose :) Will see how far this come =D> Nice job!
Sergeant 1st Class Mokerslag

Postby ZaBeast on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:49 pm

When you say everybody would have the same starting positions, you're thinking of a conquest-type map where everyone would start at opposite ends?
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding and you want to assign all territories. If so, do you plan on having any bonuses or would it basically be a huge circus-maximus map with all-directions assaults?
Colonel ZaBeast

Postby missy_starlet on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:06 pm

I'm saying that rather than a random drop, a fixed drop can occur. So that everyone has the same "starting" position, which can mean their territories are scattered all over the map (just like regular risk) but because 144 is divisible by 4 (and 6 and 8 etc.), and the map is symmetrical everywhere, it means everyone has the same number of troops in the same relative positions as every other player. I'm not implying that players start in corners or whatever. I'm saying the DROP will look the same for each player, if played in the fixed drop format. Alternatively, it can be a random drop, just like all other maps.

Bonuses are received for the 4-territory continents. Figure a +2 for each one, or something like that.

Postby missy_starlet on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:08 pm

In a 1v1 game, imagine the drop to essentially be a black/white checkerboard, with each player having their troops in the same order/arrangement as their opponent. Extend this to all the divisors of 144, and you can have multiplayer playing in the same manner.

Postby missy_starlet on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:49 pm

My concept, is to have the ultimate battle-royale map, where luck is removed, and the outcome is decided purely on gameplay. Given the absence of any random outcomes (in the event of fixed drop and fixed dice), the winner of a game on this map would truly be considered the best Risk player.

Postby gorehound on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:00 pm

I like this idea, well worth pursuing. Good luck with it. =D>
Major gorehound

Postby Minister X on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:11 pm

missy_starlet wrote:...because 144 is divisible by 4 (and 6 and 8 etc.), and the map is symmetrical everywhere, it means everyone has the same number of troops in the same relative positions as every other player.

What about games with 5, 7 or 11 players? These numbers might give you a dilemma. Three can work because there are six rings. Ditto for 9. But 5, 7 and 11 could prove difficult.
Major Minister X

Postby ljex on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:26 pm

Minister X wrote:
missy_starlet wrote:...because 144 is divisible by 4 (and 6 and 8 etc.), and the map is symmetrical everywhere, it means everyone has the same number of troops in the same relative positions as every other player.

What about games with 5, 7 or 11 players? These numbers might give you a dilemma. Three can work because there are six rings. Ditto for 9. But 5, 7 and 11 could prove difficult.

I would think the answer would be to have certain "drops" be filled with neutrals (i.e., if you have 7 players and 12 drops 5 of them are filled with neutrals and 7 of them are players drops).

Agree that some of the drop elements need to be figured out overall but think that the concept is really cool and worth exploring.
Captain ljex

Postby MGSteve on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:07 am

Only thing I can disagree with is the statement that luck is removed. You still have dice, the infamous CC dice with its horrible algorithm. But it seems like a decent concept so go for it.
Major MGSteve

Postby missy_starlet on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 am

>What about games with 5, 7 or 11 players?

You're right. Unless you can find a reasonably small number that is divisible by all numbers 2 through 11, and 24 also, then an egalitarian fixed drop cannot be played for all the multiplayer possibilities on this site. 144 gets most of them. For 5, 7 and 11, the game can be played with a normal (randomized) drop.

>Only thing I can disagree with is the statement that luck is removed.

There is a dice setting at Major Command and I believe Dominating 12 also, where there is no dice. Attacks and kills occur in 1 to 1 ratios. At MC, it's called "fixed force". In "fixed force", there is no dice, and that element of randomness is not present. This dice setting doesn't appear to exist here. If it did, the only element of luck would then be the order of play (which could be eliminated with simultaneous play).

I'm not saying that this game can only be played without randomness. I'm saying there are options to play it that way. The map can still be played in the usual fashion with dice and a randomized drop.

Postby riskllama on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:11 pm

doughnut world?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:47 pm

Since the 1-to-1 dice thing would probably require a bigger programming change to the site than a new map would, probably bets to focus on what's possible already.

A possibility that might be interesting:
• Each ring is a "continent" as well as each "spoke" (for lack of a better term); then you would have players competing over the same territory to get their bonus. (I had thought about trying to make a Venn diagram-inspired map where there would be multiple crossovers that would involve this idea).
Lieutenant GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby Fewnix on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:20 am

like it.
Rule 1
show
Lieutenant Fewnix

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:37 am

Starting positions would be harder to fix. I'm pretty sure the XML can take a small starting position and then give you multiples of it for less players. So you can make a 12-player start map and then it will assign somebody 2x that for the 6-player map. But there is no way to have a different start-map for 8 players, AFAIK.
Perhaps some of our resident XML experts can look around.

What exactly are the starting map positions for each of the starting# of players?

It would be possible to do in Scenarios, but then you get no players and no points :(

I like the map concept, but you might need to drop the 'fixed drop' idea due to programming limitations.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Return to Drafting Room