Conquer Club

CC is declining again!

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Is CC Declining?

Postby ConfederateSS on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:11 am

Why bother???Because I'm here to play..When there are 58 pages of games.I like to scroll through them all and write down the games I like,one on page 45,34,28,19,11..If I join a game on page 45..I don't want to scroll through 34 pages to get back to page 34...Maybe I might join another game on page 34 also, when I get to page 34..I wonder why it takes so long for games to fill people...I guess we can't do it like we use to.We have to do it the High Command way..Keep counting..Gillipig!!!!..ConfederateSS..out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Major ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Holy shit, at 9717.

Lost 56 in 28 hours
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Robinette on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:09 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Image

--Andy

=D>
Brigadier Robinette

Postby Robinette on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Why bother with the Join a Game page? It should get better once the basic/advanced toggle is in, but still, why bother? I look for games with Game Finder. Just define what parameters you're looking for, and come up with a list that's rarely more than 2 or three pages. I check off Standard or Terminator, Automatic, Sequential, Escalating or Flat Rate, No Fog No Trench, and every number of players from 7 to 12, and I usually get a nice list of 2 or 3 pages, with plenty of variety but not too many to search.

That is quite a wide range of choices...

But this inspired me to try the JOIN A GAME with CLASSIC RISK settings...

Error
No matching games found.

Game Finder

Game Status: Waiting for Players
Number of Players: 6
Game Type: Standard
Map: CLASSIC

Play Order: Sequential
Spoils: Escalating
Reinforcements: Chained, Adjacent
Fog of War: No
Trench Warfare: No
Round Limit: None
Round Length: 24 Hours
Joinability: Public

Could it be that CLASSIC RISK purists have already all left?
Are they going to other RISK sites?
Or is the economy improving to the point that normal people actually have JOBS now????
Brigadier Robinette

Postby owenshooter on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Robinette wrote:Error
No matching games found.

welcome to last year...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby DaGip on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:02 pm

DaGip creates games...many games....people join games...many people...then...all sudden....DaGip creates games...many games...no people join games...no people...where all people go?

Army of GOD wrote:This thread is now about my large penis
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:05 pm

Robinette wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Why bother with the Join a Game page? It should get better once the basic/advanced toggle is in, but still, why bother? I look for games with Game Finder. Just define what parameters you're looking for, and come up with a list that's rarely more than 2 or three pages. I check off Standard or Terminator, Automatic, Sequential, Escalating or Flat Rate, No Fog No Trench, and every number of players from 7 to 12, and I usually get a nice list of 2 or 3 pages, with plenty of variety but not too many to search.

That is quite a wide range of choices...

But this inspired me to try the JOIN A GAME with CLASSIC RISK settings...

Error
No matching games found.

Game Finder

Game Status: Waiting for Players
Number of Players: 6
Game Type: Standard
Map: CLASSIC

Play Order: Sequential
Spoils: Escalating
Reinforcements: Chained, Adjacent
Fog of War: No
Trench Warfare: No
Round Limit: None
Round Length: 24 Hours
Joinability: Public

Could it be that CLASSIC RISK purists have already all left?
Are they going to other RISK sites?
Or is the economy improving to the point that normal people actually have JOBS now????

As one income increases, does one seek more work-hours or less?

Regardless of the underlying trends in the economy, it seems that the online gaming market is still expanding while stagnant firms (CC) are facing declining demand.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:07 pm

DaGip wrote:DaGip creates games...many games....people join games...many people...then...all sudden....DaGip creates games...many games...no people join games...no people...where all people go?

Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby angola on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:46 am

I generally haven't bought into these sky are falling threads, but over in the tournaments section there are only 10 tournaments in the "create/join" area. And people aren't exactly flooding into those 10 open tournaments.

I fear that we might be in a very steep decline with no way out. I hope not, but it feels like the site cut off its nose to spite its face while trying to bring in new customers. Why not just be happy with the customers you already had?
Highest rank: 48th. Highest score: 3,384. Feb. 9, 2014.
Lieutenant angola

Postby Gillipig on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 am

angola wrote:I generally haven't bought into these sky are falling threads, but over in the tournaments section there are only 10 tournaments in the "create/join" area. And people aren't exactly flooding into those 10 open tournaments.

I fear that we might be in a very steep decline with no way out. I hope not, but it feels like the site cut off its nose to spite its face while trying to bring in new customers. Why not just be happy with the customers you already had?

Lol, it only takes a glance at the scoreboard a couple lof times a year to figure out the site is in decline, the number of registered users shrinking leads to the site declining, and the number of users has been shrinking for the last 4-5 years. It's not really that difficult to get a hang on, it doesn't exactly require a great amount of faith to believe in.

Aaaand, 9717.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:40 am

Gillipig wrote:
angola wrote:I fear that we might be in a very steep decline with no way out. I hope not, but it feels like the site cut off its nose to spite its face while trying to bring in new customers. Why not just be happy with the customers you already had?

Lol, it only takes a glance at the scoreboard a couple lof times a year to figure out the site is in decline, the number of registered users shrinking leads to the site declining, and the number of users has been shrinking for the last 4-5 years. It's not really that difficult to get a hang on, it doesn't exactly require a great amount of faith to believe in.

Aaaand, 9717.

isaiah40 wrote:
owenshooter wrote:9,935... ruh roh...-el Jesus negro

9898 - 37 in under 2 days!

Aug 10, 2011 we had 17,900 active players. In three years we lost 8002, which translate to losing 2667.3333333 players per year. On Jan 2 2014 we had 13392, a drop of 3494, or 436.75 players per month. At this rate we may end up with approximately 8151 active players by the end of the year!

So far this year we have lost 3675 players! My post quoted above was on Aug 6th, so between then and now we have lost 181 players in 18 days, an average of 10.05555555 players a day!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DaGip on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:47 am

Telemarketing is our only hope.

Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:46 am

well, after going over several pages of info from this thread i built a graph that is pretty cut and dry. the Great Decline is here to stay.
Here is my proof. the future also looks grim.

my thoughts;
as the number of players have decreased tremendously, the possible game types and maps have increased tremendously. which equals less games being suited for any number of individual players. in turn this wreaks havoc on games being filled. and with that, interest for the game in general drops. most players are not active in the forums or clans, so if they can't play a game when they want, then CC is of no use to them. all of that, coupled with the general decline of board games and online games, makes for a dark future ahead. assuming the trend will turn, it needs to happen soon. or CC will not be around to ride the wave up.

my suggestion is to put things back the way they were, but that is probably too late at this point. the ones who left and are going to leave because of it are most likely long gone.

it has been suggested several times to have the game types unlockable by play. kind of in the style of "Call of Duty". ( for those that have played that ) if peeps have something to work towards, they usually tend to stay focused better.

Click image to enlarge.

show: SOURCE
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby DaGip on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:41 am

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:well, after going over several pages of info from this thread i built a graph that is pretty cut and dry. the Great Decline is here to stay.

my thoughts;
as the number of players have decreased tremendously, the possible game types and maps have increased tremendously. which equals less games being suited for any number of individual players. in turn this wreaks havoc on games being filled. and with that, interest for the game in general drops. most players are not active in the forums or clans, so if they can't play a game when they want, then CC is of no use to them. all of that, coupled with the general decline of board games and online games, makes for a dark future ahead. assuming the trend will turn, it needs to happen soon. or CC will not be around to ride the wave up.

my suggestion is to put things back the way they were, but that is probably too late at this point. the ones who left and are going to leave because of it are most likely long gone.

it has been suggested several times to have the game types unlockable by play. kind of in the style of "Call of Duty". ( for those that have played that ) if peeps have something to work towards, they usually tend to stay focused better.

Click image to enlarge.

show: SOURCE

I love graphs, datum, and matrices!

So, the real ConquerClub Armageddon will hit us around 2016 according to the glide path. We better prepare:

Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:43 am

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:well, after going over several pages of info from this thread i built a graph that is pretty cut and dry. the Great Decline is here to stay.

my thoughts;

I think game types, clans, etc are all contributing factors. But I still think the biggest factor is that social communities have changed between 2006 and 2014, and CC is just an older model that isn't as favorable, compared to other social communities available now.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DaGip on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:47 am

AndyDufresne wrote:

my thoughts;

I think game types, clans, etc are all contributing factors. But I still think the biggest factor is that social communities have changed between 2006 and 2014, and CC is just an older model that isn't as favorable, compared to other social communities available now.

--Andy

Examples?
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby Gillipig on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:53 am

Gillipig wrote:People who think this is more than the temporarily, every year occuring, fucking seasonal rise in members are retarded. Gaming sites ALWAYS increase in active members during the darker months of the year. ALWAYS, what's new is that it took so long for the decline to stop this year. We were in November before members started increasing, that has never happened before! Previously we saw increasing activity in September and Oktober, we used to call it the summer lull, now it's "everything except November, December, January lull". In one year the same positive retards (or new positive retards) will say the same thing. Only difference is that instead of 12000, it will be 10000. America has a lot of idiots for sure. That's a confirmed stereotype.

To everyone who thinks I'm being too pessimistic, well look at this, I underestimated how much CC would decline in one year.

And of course this remains true;
Gillipig wrote:In one year the same positive retards (or new positive retards) will say the same thing.

Dukasaur is one of the "same positive retards" and Changsa is a "new positive retard". Isaiah, used to be a positive retard but he has finally seen the light. Enjoy your newfound sanity my friend :).

I will say this though, the amount of positive retards are shrinking almost as fast as the site, that's something positive at least. And instead of denying that there is a decline like they used to, they've now retreated to just having unfounded faith in that it will turn around.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Gillipig wrote:
Gillipig wrote:People who think this is more than the temporarily, every year occuring, fucking seasonal rise in members are retarded. Gaming sites ALWAYS increase in active members during the darker months of the year. ALWAYS, what's new is that it took so long for the decline to stop this year. We were in November before members started increasing, that has never happened before! Previously we saw increasing activity in September and Oktober, we used to call it the summer lull, now it's "everything except November, December, January lull". In one year the same positive retards (or new positive retards) will say the same thing. Only difference is that instead of 12000, it will be 10000. America has a lot of idiots for sure. That's a confirmed stereotype.

To everyone who thinks I'm being too pessimistic, well look at this, I underestimated how much CC would decline in one year.

Incidentally, you lost the both your bet on 9/17/2012 that Conquer Club would not survive another year, and your bet made on 5/10/2013 that it would be below 10K members within six months.
Third time lucky, eh?

Eventually all bad things will come to pass. Thus, prophets of doom are always right if one ignores the time scale. It's evaluating the time scale which makes most prophets of doom disprovable.

Gillipig wrote:
Gillipig wrote:In one year the same positive retards (or new positive retards) will say the same thing.

Dukasaur is one of the "same positive retards" and Changsa is a "new positive retard". Isaiah, used to be a positive retard but he has finally seen the light. Enjoy your newfound sanity my friend :).

I will say this though, the amount of positive retards are shrinking almost as fast as the site, that's something positive at least. And instead of denying that there is a decline like they used to, they've now retreated to just having unfounded faith in that it will turn around.

To assume that a trend will continue indefinitely and to assume that a trend must break eventually are both wrong. They are flip sides of the "gambler's fallacy" and both are equally unsustainable.

Saying "it will turn around" is a misrepresentation of my position. It assumes that the number of CC members is some kind of random cosmological effect that we are powerless to change. My position is that "we will turn it around." In other words, that consciously-guided changes will influence this number more strongly than external factors.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:06 pm

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:well, after going over several pages of info from this thread i built a graph

Thanks, Williams! I've been begging two years for someone with access to graphing software to make a graph. Someone has finally stepped forward!

I don't suppose you would be nice enough to give me a logarithmic plot, so we could see at what points the trend was slowing down and at what point it was speeding up? Or just a plot of the slopes, if that's possible?

Click image to enlarge.

my suggestion is to put things back the way they were, but that is probably too late at this point

As your graph shows, the site started declining while things still were "the way they were." Lack of change was never an option. If things had stayed the same, the decline would have continued down to some basic unsustainable level, at which point the site could no longer pay its server costs and would go off the air.

The basic game of Risk is inherently simplistic and dull. It doesn't take more than a couple months of playing it every day to get completely sick of it. Introducing new options to mask the inherent dullness is the only way that any Risk-based site can survive: new maps, new optional rules (assassin, teams, nukes, polymorph), new forms of interaction (forums, clans, chat rooms), new ways to massage the winners' ego (tournaments, medals, stars, prizes).

I really, really appreciate you making the graph for us, but I don't think it in any way supports what you were saying about things staying the same. A plot of the first derivative would say for sure, but just going across my screen with a ruler, it seems that the overall slope of the decline has stayed almost the same since May of 2010, and actually that slope is only slightly steeper than the 2009 decline. Obviously, the decline was well under way during a time when very few changes were being made.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby DaGip on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
WILLIAMS5232 wrote:well, after going over several pages of info from this thread i built a graph

Thanks, Williams! I've been begging two years for someone with access to graphing software to make a graph. Someone has finally stepped forward!

I don't suppose you would be nice enough to give me a logarithmic plot, so we could see at what points the trend was slowing down and at what point it was speeding up? Or just a plot of the slopes, if that's possible?

Click image to enlarge.

my suggestion is to put things back the way they were, but that is probably too late at this point

As your graph shows, the site started declining while things still were "the way they were." Lack of change was never an option. If things had stayed the same, the decline would have continued down to some basic unsustainable level, at which point the site could no longer pay its server costs and would go off the air.

The basic game of Risk is inherently simplistic and dull. It doesn't take more than a couple months of playing it every day to get completely sick of it. Introducing new options to mask the inherent dullness is the only way that any Risk-based site can survive: new maps, new optional rules (assassin, teams, nukes, polymorph), new forms of interaction (forums, clans, chat rooms), new ways to massage the winners' ego (tournaments, medals, stars, prizes).

I really, really appreciate you making the graph for us, but I don't think it in any way supports what you were saying about things staying the same. A plot of the first derivative would say for sure, but just going across my screen with a ruler, it seems that the overall slope of the decline has stayed almost the same since May of 2010, and actually that slope is only slightly steeper than the 2009 decline. Obviously, the decline was well under way during a time when very few changes were being made.
This is why I suggested that CC became more of a gamers site rather than just a Risk site. I don't know how this would work, but it needs to be done. Also, web chat rooms would bring CC up to date. I'd hate to see CC disappear like a dinosaur. D&D is still around...barely...but it is still around. I can't see why CC would fail when D&D is still around. D&D just had a major overhaul of its rules to accommodate the video gamers. Perhaps CC needs to do the same...with part of its site at least. CC can keep its old schoolers but it needs to accompany the younger gamers that aren't familiar with Risk.
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:08 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

Click image to enlarge.

well, the graph was made in paint. it was a bit time consuming to do, but i couldn't get what i wanted out of excel. ( i'm not very fluent with excel and i grew tired of watching youtube videos of different goobers not telling me how to do what i wanted to do. ) so this is as far as i'm taking it. visually, it should tell all you need to know.

and as far as taking things back the way they were, the data is not in yet. it will take another year or so to be able to tell if im right with that, we still have a historic october, november, december incline to get through, and then we'll need to check out the summer lull back to what it is now. i predict the downward slope to have a PI starting at the june-july 2014 level and falling noticeably steeper this time next year. also, i'm not saying that changing things back the way they were will improve the numbers at all, more just delay the inevitable. plus make it easier for a simpleton such as myself to have a game or two going.

now as far as the changes go, i would agree with some of them, but with that i would think ( or at least would have thought ) that there would have been some polling done, or at least some time between them to help ease the difficulty of it all. but it's like in just a few months the site has constantly been changing in so many ways that every few days something is broke. fixing it seems pointless because there is no break between the issues. now games can't fill ( reportedly ) which is really going to affect the decline. it's very doubtful that new members will ever sustain the losses that are happening currently. which will hurt growth considerably. i would assume that retention of members vs. loss/gain of members is a bell curve.

unless there is some real innovation towards how the game is played i don't see how doing all these junk changes is going to help anything. ( moving the forum tab, tournament tab, global chat, dumbass pointless stars, etc.... ) i mean, it may help attract 3 members and stop from losing 2, but what about the other 3000 per year.

i'm pretty much done with the game. i have no desire to work with this new interface, and without "watch this game" i'm not interested in running tournaments any longer. i just can't help myself from checking in and listening to the doomsdayers reaction. including posting my own reaction to it all. i'll always be a negative nancy about it until the numbers start to reverse and sustain drastically. which will take several years of data to prove.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

log plot wouldn't really make sense for this data. you can see that it's been pretty linear since very late 2011 anyway. I think the Great Decline will eventually hit a minimum at about 5k because of the crazies who enjoy jerking off to this shit.

9698. have lost 500+ in a month
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:46 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

log plot wouldn't really make sense for this data. you can see that it's been pretty linear since very late 2011 anyway. I think the Great Decline will eventually hit a minimum at about 5k because of the crazies who enjoy jerking off to this shit.

9698. have lost 500+ in a month

5000? that high huh? i would have put it around 800-1200.

(9697)
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby owenshooter on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:52 am

Dukasaur wrote:As your graph shows, the site started declining while things still were "the way they were." Lack of change was never an option. If things had stayed the same, the decline would have continued down to some basic unsustainable level, at which point the site could no longer pay its server costs and would go off the air.

completely disagree... i would bet that the decline began when the great clean up for the alleged sale to HASBRO began (as the rumors go). they killed off the forum, threw in a slew of new maps and gaming options and in doing so alienated a large portion of the die hards that helped to drive the site. when you do a search for "where to play RISK online" the first site to pop up is: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/whe ... e/#!bJMQjO

of note, this is how they describe CC:
Conquer Club was one of the first online strategy games to tackle the world of Risk, and it holds true to its founding principals. The free-to-play game features almost everything you know and love about the Parker Brother’s original, just without the official title. The game doesn’t require any additional software — aside from your favorite browser — and touts a robust, active community that is frequently tackling online tournaments and participating in one of the most rip-roaring forums on the Web. The interface could definitely use a bit of a facelift, but the wide selection of maps and the sheer number of diehard members have kept the game alive and well long after the site’s launch.

note how they mention the active ROBUST community and the MOST RIP-ROARING FORUM on the web?!! you know, the things that team CC went after...
Dukasaur wrote:The basic game of Risk is inherently simplistic and dull. It doesn't take more than a couple months of playing it every day to get completely sick of it. Introducing new options to mask the inherent dullness is the only way that any Risk-based site can survive: new maps, new optional rules (assassin, teams, nukes, polymorph), new forms of interaction (forums, clans, chat rooms), new ways to massage the winners' ego (tournaments, medals, stars, prizes).

i disagree with this too... read the description again... you are saying what made the site attractive isn't attractive after a few weeks!!!! huh?!!! people don't go to CHESS sites to play variations of CHESS... they want to play the game they know and love... we all came here to play RISK, not drop with parachutes and have zombies and whatever f*ck else they have put up as options... this site has bastardized the game, given far too many options that confuse new members and has killed off the forum and community. they should put all the crazy game options into a second tab for advanced players and open up the classic map to unlimited games for freemium members (set a limit if you want)... CC should have added other games like chess, checkers, chinese checkers, battleship, etc... other games of interest to expand the community... remember that other site that lack had? that number game deal that was popular a few years ago? why didn't he just launch it as another tab on here and increase CC memberships and the overall community? seemed like a no brainer... hell, throw scrabble up on here!!! anyway...

CC got away from what made it the reason it was listed first on most gaming sites that gave reviews of RISK online games... the site needs to get back to the basics and look to increase membership in other ways... what they are doing isn't work...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby ConfederateSS on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:26 am

The High Command doesn't want it's users to bother..So it takes the the lime-light of not bothering off them......Like I said in some of my other posts....I know you jabbed me Andy.about etc.etc..I liked that..that was cute...But I'm with Owen..Chess has been around for thousands and thousands of years..There is a reason..So add more games to C.C...The Ataris,The Segas,The WII,Nint.,and Xboxes..will fade away..As Chess,Risk,Go, and Stratego.(Andy)..etc.etc.etc..etc..etc....will live forever...Yes High Command Forever..Become Republicans like me...Republicans hate CHANGE!!!!!!!!..ConfederateSS..out!..
Last edited by ConfederateSS on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Major ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion