Conquer Club

CC is declining again!

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Is CC Declining?

Postby notyou2 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:Less than 10,000 active users? Yes, Conquer Club is definitely on the decline and in its current state, highly unlikely to recover.

Who the f*ck are you

The guy who was helping run the website when it had over 22,000 active users?

Why aren't you a paying customer?
Captain notyou2

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:31 pm

notyou2 wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:Less than 10,000 active users? Yes, Conquer Club is definitely on the decline and in its current state, highly unlikely to recover.

Who the f*ck are you

Why aren't you a paying customer?

Because he's been helping the site since it had over 22,000 active users!!! DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

(or he either gave up on the site, or he doesn't put his money where his mouth is).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby notyou2 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:36 pm

He no longer supports the site would be my guess. I am wondering why?
Captain notyou2

Postby jammyjames on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:35 am

Army of GOD wrote:

Who the f*ck are you

Show's how long you were actually around for... Now you look a fool.
Corporal 1st Class jammyjames

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 am

tzor wrote:
stotzi wrote:As unlogical as it might seem: The multiple options, as far as they go now, are in my opinion the death of CC. New players are overwhelmed by options. I am not even in favor of the option "Polymorphic" - as funny as it may seem in the short run, but it does a big downgrade to classic teamplay.

It's not illogical, but I think the answer is much different than simply eliminating options. The answer is to eliminate the massive multiple options for the "new player." Consider the following: How many "advanced" players use the "Join a Game" option? (I generally use the Game Finder myself.) You could have new users go to a much simpler version of Join a game where the basic boards and basic options are used. Players could advance to more and more options as they play games on the system.

Presenting the whole universe of options to a new player can be a problem, but the answer is not to remove that universe for the experienced player.

There have been a handful of suggestions based on this premise but they have never received enough of a following.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby TeeGee on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:22 am

Optimus Prime wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:

Who the f*ck are you

Actually OP.going through the stats on archive.org you started the great decline.

Over 22,500 at the start of your reign and a decrease to just a touch over 20,000 on the day you left your post.

It was under Twill the numbers increased dramatically, and have declined ever since, only slowing under Andy's reign
Kotaro wrote:TG for site owner 2020
Field Marshal TeeGee

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby stotzi on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:11 am

With some programming effort one could make the options interesting. What about a tutorial mode, where one could - as a result to finished tutorials, as quasi-achievements - select new options, which are immediately explained.

Example: Congratulation! You have mastered two standard games. Therefore you have achived a new option: TRENCH. In trench games ... bla bla .... Win two trench games against BotXY on the Classic Map to get access to the option "Parachute Reinforcements".
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel stotzi

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:49 am

stotzi wrote:With some programming effort one could make the options interesting. What about a tutorial mode, where one could - as a result to finished tutorials, as quasi-achievements - select new options, which are immediately explained.

Example: Congratulation! You have mastered two standard games. Therefore you have achived a new option: TRENCH. In trench games ... bla bla .... Win two trench games against BotXY on the Classic Map to get access to the option "Parachute Reinforcements".

Seriously, go look in the suggestions forum.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:20 am

Gillipig wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:9696

9716. The summer doldrums may be over...:)

It's not a summer phenomenon anymore you dulldrum, it's everything except winter, get it right newbie.

Actually, you're wrong. If you look at the graphs, it's everything except autumn. Get it right, newbie...:)

However, summer remains the hardest part of the decline. It's not just that the overall number of members continues to decline during the summer, it's also that the members who remain are less involved. They join fewer games, start fewer tournaments, and write fewer articles. So, "summer doldrums" is still a valid description, because there's a general decline in activity greater than the decline in membership.

Both the level of membership and the level of activity per member pick up in the fall.

Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby owenshooter on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:25 am

Dukasaur wrote:Both the level of membership and the level of activity per member pick up in the fall. 9718.

well... that is just a false statement... from 22K to under 10K... so, when you say it "picks up", that is just misleading and false... the numbers would remain
consistent and they just aren't... "hey, don't worry people!!! nothing to see here!!! it is the summer, the numbers will pick back up in the fall!!! the fall from 22K
to 20K isn't a big deal!!! we are doing ok..." and that fall continued to happen to the pitiful under 10K number that we are enjoying today... very misleading
statement...-eJn

Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:38 am

owenshooter wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Both the level of membership and the level of activity per member pick up in the fall. 9718.

well... that is just a false statement... from 22K to under 10K... so, when you say it "picks up", that is just misleading and false...

Look at the graph, owen. There's an upsurge every fall:
Click image to enlarge.

Yes, the overall numbers have fallen. This is not a secret. The problem is that the declines during the 8 months from January to September has been greater than the rise from September to December.

"hey, don't worry people!!! nothing to see here!!! it is the summer, the numbers will pick back up in the fall!!! the fall from 22K
to 20K isn't a big deal!!! we are doing ok..." and that fall continued to happen to the pitiful under 10K number that we are enjoying today... very misleading
statement...-eJn

I did not say anything like that. I've been fighting for the survival of this site for more than 3 years, almost 4. I'm perfectly well aware of the overall decline. However, there is an upsurge every fall and our job here is to extend that upsurge from it's current four months (September to December, inclusive) to something like 9 months (September to June, inclusive.)

The summer doldrums are a factor that all online activities contend with. It's simply too hard to keep people glued to their monitors when the sun is shining and the streets are full of girls in miniskirts. We will probably still have a summer decline even once the site is doing well. Meanwhile, however, for those of us who are fighting to keep this place alive, it is good to remember that, for this year anyway, the worst is now over and for the next few months we can continue improving the site without the added handicap of the summer doldrums.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Robespierre__ on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Correlation is not Causation.

Glad you are still around, but it would be cooler if you were playing with us rather than hanging out in the forums.
Colonel Robespierre__

Postby owenshooter on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:04 am

Robespierre__ wrote:it would be cooler if you were playing with us rather than hanging out in the forums.

there are too many options now for him to select from... the insane size of the menu has his so confused, he is just hanging in the forum (which was even difficult for him to find)... it's kind of like when you go to a restaurant and the menu has 100 items to select from... you just end up eating some appetizers and maybe something from the 2nd page... you can't blame him, the site has just passed him by... he is used to the ease of the old site and the plethora of games awaiting players that one could find...-eJn

p.s.-had a great Kitchen Nightmare clip where they made the entire menu and filled the dining room... it wouldn't play... damnit...
Last edited by owenshooter on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:10 pm

Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:40 pm

TeeGee wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:

Who the f*ck are you

Actually OP.going through the stats on archive.org you started the great decline.

Over 22,500 at the start of your reign and a decrease to just a touch over 20,000 on the day you left your post.

It was under Twill the numbers increased dramatically, and have declined ever since, only slowing under Andy's reign

Yeah, numbers did go down a bit when I was around, that's true. Perhaps I had an influence on that, I can't be entirely sure, but I do know a contributing factor in my departure was a lack of traction on getting what I thought would be quality improvements completed. I tried hard to improve the community team (which was my main responsibility) and worked to try and get lackattack to get improvements and new features out more quickly, but a lot of things didn't come to fruition. I left because of a difference in views about what would make the site better and because I got a full-time salaried job and lackattack didn't like that I could only be available to work here in the evenings once that happened.

We parted ways amicably, but shortly after I had other things filling my time so I faded away and let my premium membership run out. I stop by every 9 months or so just to see where the site stands out of curiousity mostly. Sometimes I stir the pot because I just can't resist.

I'll be honest, I've had (not mega-serious) conversations with a variety of friends in my sphere of web development about the idea of finding the capital to purchase the website and give it a massive (and I do mean MASSIVE overhaul) into the modern era, but it takes a lot of money and I don't have those kind of connections yet.

Maybe someday.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby owenshooter on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:48 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:I'll be honest, I've had (not mega-serious) conversations with a variety of friends in my sphere of web development about the idea of finding the capital to purchase the website and give it a massive (and I do mean MASSIVE overhaul) into the modern era, but it takes a lot of money and I don't have those kind of connections yet.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!! we have Global Chat on the homepage now!!! we are as hip as hip can be!!! you are just jealous that you never figured out how to get the site to drop from 20K to under 10K during your time on the team... *snicker*... good to see you popping your head in here... miss you... i miss ANYONE from the good ol' days...-el Jesus negro
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Robespierre__ on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:37 pm

OptiPrime ... it is sincerely good to have you popping back in. Don't be a stranger. Come back and play some games.

-- Robes
Colonel Robespierre__

Postby loutil on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:
I'll be honest, I've had (not mega-serious) conversations with a variety of friends in my sphere of web development about the idea of finding the capital to purchase the website and give it a massive (and I do mean MASSIVE overhaul) into the modern era, but it takes a lot of money and I don't have those kind of connections yet.

Maybe someday.

Curious as to what you define as "a lot of money"?
Conqueror loutil
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby ConfederateSS on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:40 am

1,000,000,000,000 Conquer Credits.Now we just need 9,999 more to pop back in...On other Fronts..summer must be big news...I just got the word from High Command, in CC Dispatch....Also The Glorious 7th Calvary under Col.(Gen.) George Armstrong Custer..was defeated a few days back.At some place called The Little Big Horn,by a superior force led by Great Chief Sitting Bull...Maybe some of them can join..Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!...........ConfederateSS..out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Major ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:58 pm

Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:13 am

Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby clangfield on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:35 am

Army of GOD wrote:

Who the f*ck are you

Maybe it's that warm welcome that keeps new users here...
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby owenshooter on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:45 am

clangfield wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:

Who the f*ck are you

Maybe it's that warm welcome that keeps new users here...

maybe that joke went right over your head...-el Jesus negro
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby keyborn on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:39 pm

9807... small increase.... is this the beginning of a trend? I guess we shall see...
Brigadier keyborn

Postby MrBenn on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:45 pm

loutil wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:

Maybe someday.

Curious as to what you define as "a lot of money"?

I'd imagine "a lot of money" is equivalent to "more money than I have lying around unused". I'm sure that most of us who have invested part of our lives in this site have thought about reviving it somehow at some point; but for me it feels like a dead duck in the water now.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion