Conquer Club

CC is declining again!

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Is CC Declining?

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby jammyjames on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:19 am

Yay for being notified about the new "requests" tab. That's what the fucking announcements forum is for!!!
Corporal 1st Class jammyjames

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:51 am

Serbia wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:what a drop since yesterday so far. Down to 9744 (down 36).

I think we may finally have bottomed out.

Your positive outlook is a source of great entertainment for me. I hope you never change.

Bollocks.

Thanks, Serbia.

9770. We'll win the hearts and minds, one at a time...:)
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby TheFlashPoint on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:16 pm

Well that's not helping us at all!!!

Generally, CC will begin to recover when it gets back to being a site about RISK and less to do with pleasing hardcore obsessive nerds who never represented the overall community one bit anyway.

Your average player here wants to play a 6 man game of RISK, probably sequentially and either foggy or sunny and he wants to play it on a map he can understand without the use of add-ons he has no idea about anyway.

Can it be doubted that this player is now far less well served than he was four or five years ago?

Why did CC listen to the needs of players who are playing 5,000 games a year rather than to the needs of players playing 500? This is the crux of the issue.

+1

I just had a player mock me for not giving him a chance to "snap". Then in a second game, he waits x minutes and magnanimously reminds me that he's given me ample opportunity to record the board.

Id sooner quit altogether than cater to the behavioral norms of these dipshits.
Major TheFlashPoint

Postby Serbia on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:37 pm

TheFlashPoint wrote:
Well that's not helping us at all!!!

Generally, CC will begin to recover when it gets back to being a site about RISK and less to do with pleasing hardcore obsessive nerds who never represented the overall community one bit anyway.

Your average player here wants to play a 6 man game of RISK, probably sequentially and either foggy or sunny and he wants to play it on a map he can understand without the use of add-ons he has no idea about anyway.

Can it be doubted that this player is now far less well served than he was four or five years ago?

Why did CC listen to the needs of players who are playing 5,000 games a year rather than to the needs of players playing 500? This is the crux of the issue.

+1

I just had a player mock me for not giving him a chance to "snap". Then in a second game, he waits x minutes and magnanimously reminds me that he's given me ample opportunity to record the board.

Id sooner quit altogether than cater to the behavioral norms of these dipshits.

Unless participating in a clan war or tournament that EXPLICITLY states you must follow the fog 'rule', then you do not have to. It's not a requirement. I've previously referred to it as "bullshit", and I stand by it. Let the hand wringing re-commence!

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Serbia on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:19 pm

In other news, there are NINE new tournaments which are accepting new signups. NINE. (I'm counting only community run tournaments which are not labeled 'FULL' in the Create forum) I remember when signups alone would fill up two pages, and there were 12 pages (PAGES!) of active tourneys. Now? There are four pages, and quickly dwindling. Sad state of affairs. Tournaments are what kept me on this site all these years, and they've been left to rot. Auto tourneys won't stem the tide. Yes, CC is declining, and at a rapid pace.

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Serbia wrote:In other news, there are NINE new tournaments which are accepting new signups. NINE. (I'm counting only community run tournaments which are not labeled 'FULL' in the Create forum) I remember when signups alone would fill up two pages, and there were 12 pages (PAGES!) of active tourneys. Now? There are four pages, and quickly dwindling. Sad state of affairs. Tournaments are what kept me on this site all these years, and they've been left to rot. Auto tourneys won't stem the tide. Yes, CC is declining, and at a rapid pace.

Bollocks.

It's probably because you're from Detroit. You have only yourself and your bollocks to blame!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Serbia wrote:Unless participating in a clan war or tournament that EXPLICITLY states you must follow the fog 'rule', then you do not have to. It's not a requirement. I've previously referred to it as "bullshit", and I stand by it. Let the hand wringing re-commence!

I find it amusing that many of the same people who are so serious about the fog rule are also the exact same people who complained when freestyle was changed to allow for a delay at the beginning of the game to make sure everyone could see the board in time.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:55 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Serbia wrote:Unless participating in a clan war or tournament that EXPLICITLY states you must follow the fog 'rule', then you do not have to. It's not a requirement. I've previously referred to it as "bullshit", and I stand by it. Let the hand wringing re-commence!

I find it amusing that many of the same people who are so serious about the fog rule are also the exact same people who complained when freestyle was changed to allow for a delay at the beginning of the game to make sure everyone could see the board in time.

This process is very similar to the problems of modern, democratic governance. You've got (generally) a loud minority who wishes to impose a new rule change--e.g. new freestyle rules or an imposed 12-hour rule, then when the loud minority gets their way, some of them will complain (and a lot, who didn't vote/participate will complain--or simply carry on or quietly drop out).

So what explains the decline--aside from the exogenous factors (e.g. less people like online boardgames)? Internally, perhaps much of the decline is due to people imposing more and more features on this site. This satisfies a loud minority while driving out a potentially greater consumer base. Of course, we're not sure if this is the case, and at best, it's just guessing, but given the historic path of this site pandering to a loud minority and its continual decline, then it may seem likely. (of course, correlation != causation, but if it's not the loud minority, then what? It's a fall in external demand? How can that be demonstrated beyond guessing?).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:04 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:It's a fall in external demand? How can that be demonstrated beyond guessing?

We could examine the membership trends for other Risk-emulating sites (or maybe all similar board game sites) and look for any correlations.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Have at it, hauss!!
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:18 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Have at it, hauss!!

Not a fucking chance. I'm on my way out.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Have at it, hauss!!

Not a fucking chance. I'm on my way out.

Good for you! I hope your cost-savings are more valuable!
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Redfelt on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:47 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:JamesKer has only lived through the Great Decline; it is all he knows. To him, this is normal CC.

I envy the naive.

Actually, that describes most of us. CC peaked in 2009, so technically the Decline began either late in 2009 or early in 2010. That means for someone like me who joined late in 2010, decline is all we've ever known. And by now with turnover, post-2009 members are a clear majority.

I do envy people like you who joined before the Decline. It must have been really cool.

It was cool, fun, simple. I maintained a balance of 60 - 70 active games with 40+ waiting. Map inspect was golden and i could take a turn while seeing all the map, read chat log, see the actual cube result and analyze a snap all in a glance of 20 - 25 seconds.

Now I have but one ongoing game and am sickened by the complexity involved to take a once simple turn. :(
Colonel Redfelt

Postby owenshooter on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am

Redfelt wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:I do envy people like you who joined before the Decline. It must have been really cool.

It was cool, fun, simple. I maintained a balance of 60 - 70 active games with 40+ waiting. Map inspect was golden and i could take a turn while seeing all the map, read chat log, see the actual cube result and analyze a snap all in a glance of 20 - 25 seconds.

Now I have but one ongoing game and am sickened by the complexity involved to take a once simple turn. :(

it was just simply bad ass... forums were vibrant... you could play as many games as you could handle... the maps were not bloated and over-complicated (like most of the new ones)... admins and mods were very active and sought out opinions from members... it was just a really fun place to hang out when you had some time at work or home... and yes, the game interface was far superior to what it is now, which makes no sense to me...-eJn
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Robinette on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:13 am

This idea of MASS EXTINCTION would make a great new tournament...

Design a new map, Start with tons of games, and the last 6 players join in for the final game.
Winner is the last person not to go AWOL..

Brigadier Robinette

Postby Gillipig on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:04 am

pimpdave wrote:THIS THREAD SUCKS

That's right, it's not the decline that sucks, it's the thread talking about the decline that sucks.
And on a more personal note, stfuyllb (shut the f*ck up you lazy little bitch), I've adopted this thread and I view it as my son. Don't you dare talk about my son like that.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby owenshooter on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:16 pm

wait.. someone is claiming there is a bug when you try to pay for premium now?!! Subject: Trying to buy Premium Membership but unable. maybe this will make them finally fix something... you can't make money if people can't give it to you!!! i hope it is user era, i really do..-eJn

p.s.-footage of bieber talking about the time CC declined his card at the 1:50 mark
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:16 pm

owenshooter wrote:wait.. someone is claiming there is a bug when you try to pay for premium now?!! Subject: Trying to buy Premium Membership but unable. maybe this will make them finally fix something... you can't make money if people can't give it to you!!! i hope it is user era, i really do..-eJn

p.s.-footage of bieber talking about the time CC declined his card at the 1:50 mark

When this place dies, where will you go? What public fora will you shout from?
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Gillipig on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:02 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
owenshooter wrote:wait.. someone is claiming there is a bug when you try to pay for premium now?!! Subject: Trying to buy Premium Membership but unable. maybe this will make them finally fix something... you can't make money if people can't give it to you!!! i hope it is user era, i really do..-eJn

When this place dies, where will you go? What public fora will you shout from?

It's like Sauron and the ring, when the ring is destroyed so is Sauron.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby owenshooter on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:When this place dies, where will you go? What public fora will you shout from?

your moms house...-eJn

Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:23 am

mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Robespierre__ on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:33 pm

I really don't understand the argument that less choice is better and the complexity has turned off new players. Except to the degree that .... the decline is correlated with the rise of smartphone/tablet gaming vs. desktop gaming. Complexity does not work well on a phone for sure, and a tablet is not as good either.

But in general I just hate reading people badmouthing this site. I truly love it and very much appreciate all of the work that volunteers have done and continue to do to make my daily trip to the site more enjoyable. I personally think the site has improved since I joined, and I have always been impressed how bug free it is. My annual premium payment is made happily to support whoever is holding the digital marionette strings.

I am always saddened a little when the NarutoSerigalas of the world decide to spend his time elsewhere, but that will happen. Given my games with him, complaining about dice should be the last thing that would drive him away! :P

Personally, I think the comraderie and community of a clan is what has kept me coming back.

Hope to see you all on the fields of battle,

Robes
Colonel Robespierre__

Postby Gillipig on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Robespierre__ wrote:I really don't understand the argument that less choice is better and the complexity has turned off new players. Except to the degree that .... the decline is correlated with the rise of smartphone/tablet gaming vs. desktop gaming. Complexity does not work well on a phone for sure, and a tablet is not as good either.

But in general I just hate reading people badmouthing this site. I truly love it and very much appreciate all of the work that volunteers have done and continue to do to make my daily trip to the site more enjoyable. I personally think the site has improved since I joined, and I have always been impressed how bug free it is. My annual premium payment is made happily to support whoever is holding the digital marionette strings.

I am always saddened a little when the NarutoSerigalas of the world decide to spend his time elsewhere, but that will happen. Given my games with him, complaining about dice should be the last thing that would drive him away! :P

Personally, I think the comraderie and community of a clan is what has kept me coming back.

Hope to see you all on the fields of battle,

Robes

You're in the wrong thread then, loyalist are not allowed here.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby tec805 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:34 pm

Hello tec805,

Your Premium Membership is going to expire within the next few days.

Expiry date: 2014-08-24 22:09:32

Please consider renewing early to enjoy the full Conquer Club experience uninterrupted! Renewal adds 12 months to your expiry date so you have nothing to lose by doing it today. Visit http://www.conquerclub.com and click on "Upgrade!".

Regards,
The Conquer Club

Make the UI work like it did, stop breaking BOB and Clickable Maps (both of which are heads above the built in mess you've created) and I'll have a reason to renew.

P.S. I know BOB and CM aren't updated any longer and aren't from CC, but they should be!
show: spoiler sigs are like my dice, they suck
General tec805

Location: ☀ Southern California, where the sunshine's shining ☀

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion